Paging all driving coaches

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I just CAN'T Wait for this...

So, when we finally work together, are you going to squeal like you did with Globe???
Oh yes...because that's how I roll

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Bassam is a class act all around, and one of the best drivers (if not THE best) in our region.
His comments are a bit biased (aren't we all?) by his personal relationship with all parts involved.

What we ALL need to keep in mind is that this situation goes far beyond these pages, and can have serious consequences for the individuals involved, the region (PCA), the organizer (MVP), the venue (COTA) and the sport in general. There's already talk about one of the parts seeking legal action. Pease keep this in mind when y'all comment, and TRY not to add fuel to the fire. We all will loose big time if events at COTA are suspended because of this!

Agree, Bassam is a good egg, but he is not the issue here. WTF is this about "legal action"?? On what basis could there possibly be any warranted legal action as a result of this video????
Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
You don't know Bassam, do you?

I'd call his driving principles sound...his friendship solid and his judgement good. I'd be more than glad to go door-to-door with him at the limit anytime.
Once again, facts get obfuscated very easily. Bassam and I go back to when we both started DE's 10 years ago. He in his Boxer and me in my 3 series BMW. I agree with the first two observations and most of the time with third. However, in this instance, the third observation "judgement" I don't agree with at all. Judgement can only come about if a person has the relevant facts.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

just a guess, but a pro drover ?

my policy is only allow speed to the point where I am comfortable. that said, I had a friend who went on to race (successfully) that scarred the cr@p out of me.

Shifting in turns, early apexes, etc. I stuck with him since he had asked for me, but with anyone else I would have gotten out....

its harder to teach your buddies...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
Once again, facts get obfuscated very easily. Bassam and I go back to when we both started DE's 10 years ago. He in his Boxer and me in my 3 series BMW. I agree with the first two observations and most of the time with third. However, in this instance, the third observation "judgement" I don't agree with at all. Judgement can only come about if a person has the relevant facts.
Tony, it was good to see you again at TWS !
Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VR you met the older version of Tony @ TWS a new faster Tony was born at COTA!

Thanks Mahler for that not piling on statement.

I was at the event & in the garage when the kid put the Go Pro on the GT2 we were under the impression he was a participant in the event or a friend or family of one not someone that’s going to sell this video for Internet fame. BTW I found out yesterday the kid had been asked to leave on Friday & came back without permission.

There were plenty of people coming by asking for pics throughout the weekend one was even asking for autographs. As a participate in DE & Club Race events we try to be as friendly to spectators as possible. I have put many kids in my car for photos unfortunately this time it bit my friend in the ***.

I wont try to defend or explain any actions of the driver as it seems he is getting more than his share of disparaging comments. Any explanation on my part will only add fuel to the fire.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Rene
I was at the event & in the garage when the kid put the Go Pro on the GT2 we were under the impression he was a participant in the event or a friend or family of one not someone that’s going to sell this video for Internet fame.
So some kid put a GoPro on the GT2. Did the GT2 driver not know?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
the driver at hand is NOT a novice.
Did we watch the same video?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rene

I was at the event & in the garage when the kid put the Go Pro on the GT2 we were under the impression he was a participant in the event or a friend or family of one not someone that’s going to sell this video for Internet fame. BTW I found out yesterday the kid had been asked to leave on Friday & came back without permission.

There were plenty of people coming by asking for pics throughout the weekend one was even asking for autographs. As a participate in DE & Club Race events we try to be as friendly to spectators as possible. I have put many kids in my car for photos unfortunately this time it bit my friend in the ***.

I wont try to defend or explain any actions of the driver as it seems he is getting more than his share of disparaging comments. Any explanation on my part will only add fuel to the fire.
Not trying to pile on here... I've already said it seems like an organizational failure (if it's true, as posted earlier, that he drove like this all weekend and was allowed to do so all the way through Sunday without any official intervention).

But as far as the existence of this video, the driver has only himself to 'thank' for that. If you let some kid film you in a public place and you go all Dickie Speedmaster then who is to blame when the video goes viral?

These are two separate issues.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Did we watch the same video?
Yes, and I've known the guy for over 10 years, something none of you can say.

VR, I'll PM you.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Long Thread. I would have black flagged him. Look at it as other drivers would see it. I wouldn't want to out there with him.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were aware he was putting the camera on. Keep in mind the clip is 90 secs the session was 25 mins.

The organization running the event was on top of the issues & drivers were getting black flagged for any wrong doing all weekend.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to all the bad driving habits, I see an ill handleing GT-2. The car appears loose and this driver keeps bumping into it's limits at low speeds. (thank god) Those bad habits and a lack of skill in a well set up car would have launched him off the track into a wall at a much higher speed.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 165 Posts

As a PCA instructor this clip highlights the importance of what we do and our responsibilities to the students and the rest of the drivers on the track. Any one of the many errors this driver made could have cost him or another driver serious injury and/or damage to their cars. Since there is no 13/13 rule for DE maybe there needs to be a more formal way to track the progress of each student.

Many of my students have had other instructors and it would be good to have access to their feedback. Also, perhaps tracking 4 wheel offs and black flags for dumb mistakes should be done. If this is truly Education then there needs to be grading, not just "social promotion" that we despise in our public schools.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,317 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
As a PCA instructor this clip highlights the importance of what we do and our responsibilities to the students and the rest of the drivers on the track. Any one of the many errors this driver made could have cost him or another driver serious injury and/or damage to their cars. Since there is no 13/13 rule for DE maybe there needs to be a more formal way to track the progress of each student.

Many of my students have had other instructors and it would be good to have access to their feedback. Also, perhaps tracking 4 wheel offs and black flags for dumb mistakes should be done. If this is truly Education then there needs to be grading, not just "social promotion" that we despise in our public schools.
Good ideas, though people can get around the grading by driving with organizations who don't know their history. IMO, that highlights the need for having good monitoring and controls at each event, with the instructors, CI, pit stewards, flaggers, etc. all working together effectively with a shared goal of safety.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Some people would be better suited to learning car control autocrossing for a while or again. That's not a bad place to establish good driving habits (steering techniques and what to do with you arms and hands). Clearly a driver doesn't get the seat time that they would at a DE, but driving on the big track is not a right. A driver has to demonstrate they have earned that privilege.

If a driver is continually having issues at DE events and is putting themselves and others at risk, they should not be allowed to participate if they show no signs of correcting the problem(s).

I am not saying anything specific to the driver in the video. I was not there nor do I know anything about the driver. But, some of what I said above might apply.

Scott

Quick Reply: Paging all driving coaches