Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Maybe said student should just buy a GT-R
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I can't speak for other coaches. But my experiences have been really good. I find that the folks who hire serious coaches )or at least th efolks who hire me) tend to be a self-selecting group. They have come to realize that the driver is the biggest performance variable, and improving the driver is the biggest performance mod. They have swallowed the humble pie required to hire someone theoretically better than themselves, to help them get better. I have not had any coaching client try to impress me (they can't) nor try to scare me (I already am ). Nor have I had any coaching client simply do zero % of what I suggest. Some folks adapt better than others. Some climb out of their comfort zone better than others. And thus, for some, the learning/improvement curve is steeper than others. I have had one client who I was unable to improve, but subsequently others have helped him, and I am gratified that his driving is now on par with what I thought his potential to be.

In short, I have never had a client like the camera car.
Good post. My experience also, but most of the guys I work with are at the pointy end of the grid in purpose built race cars. I don't ride...

That's what sim training is for...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Same here, after being scared a couple of times sitting on the passenger seat, i stopped instructing.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
aft911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bassam
The guy in the video is a friend and a very cool guy for a 60 plus year old person. I'm not going to defend his driving habits and he knows that what he's doing is wrong, it's just he can't change it. His "instructor" was poking fun at him among other "friends" behind his back that weekend. So give the guy a break, it's only a DE and I'm sure they had enough black flags that day to stop anybody from endangering others.
Respectfully, the driving habits displayed in this video (and relayed in this thread) represent an extreme that I have literally never seen before - which may explain why the video appears to be going viral. Taking both hands off the wheel definitely makes the podium in a list of "craziest DE student driver stories I have ever heard" (I've been a PCA instructor for about 10 years). If that is one of his natural reactions and he were a first-time student, I would question whether he ought to be out there at all. You seem to be saying his habits are WELL KNOWN within your region (Coastal Bend?), so I find it incredible that any of you would want to be on track with him.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russo
I must respectfully disagree with your statement that the instructor was talking behind his back. It was common knowledge to him what the instructor was trying to teach him. In defense of the instructor, he was racking his brain out in figuring out a way to reach him and to consequently change his bad habits. Furthermore, as previously written by another friend, the instructor attempted to talk to the driver in the presence of his wife as a last resort to see if he could get through.
The black flag issue was a matter, that I believe, could have been a recipe for disaster. The speeds in many sections at COTA are very fast, and in many instances, cars did not see those blacks flags and blew right by cars that were at a standstill. Furthermore, COTA, unlike some tracks in Texas, does not have much run off. Consequently, any mistake would surely, at a minimum, be a write off of the car. You had to be there to understand the dynamics and the concern expressed in the many preceding posts.
Obviously the "instructor" failed miserably to reach him.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by russo
I must respectfully disagree with your statement that the instructor was talking behind his back. It was common knowledge to him what the instructor was trying to teach him. In defense of the instructor, he was racking his brain out in figuring out a way to reach him and to consequently change his bad habits. Furthermore, as previously written by another friend, the instructor attempted to talk to the driver in the presence of his wife as a last resort to see if he could get through.
The black flag issue was a matter, that I believe, could have been a recipe for disaster. The speeds in many sections at COTA are very fast, and in many instances, cars did not see those blacks flags and blew right by cars that were at a standstill. Furthermore, COTA, unlike some tracks in Texas, does not have much run off. Consequently, any mistake would surely, at a minimum, be a write off of the car. You had to be there to understand the dynamics and the concern expressed in the many preceding posts.
Since you're bringing the "instructor" back to the discussion, Obviously he failed miserably to reach him.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,317 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Obviously the "instructor" failed miserably to reach him.
It's possible that the instructor did a poor job, but not necessarily. Some students just won't listen to any instructor, in which case they can't be permitted to drive. And some students will "play nice" to get soloed, then go out of control when solo; in that case, they need to be black flagged and brought in for a talk. We can't really judge this particular instructor without knowing the details, but we know for sure that this student is a terrible driver, to the extent of posing a danger to himself and others.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
It's possible that the instructor did a poor job, but not necessarily. Some students just won't listen to any instructor, in which case they can't be permitted to drive. And some students will "play nice" to get soloed, then go out of control when solo; in that case, they need to be black flagged and brought in for a talk. We can't really judge this particular instructor without knowing the details, but we know for sure that this student is a terrible driver, to the extent of posing a danger to himself and others.
The driver in question was solo anyway all weekend, he didn't need to trick anybody so he can go solo, Remember that this is not a PCA event. I can assume that by hiring an instructor he admitted to himself he needed help but still finished the weekend driving the way he does. So it is very safe to say there was a failure of communication between the 2.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The driver in question was solo anyway all weekend, he didn't need to trick anybody so he can go solo, Remember that this is not a PCA event. I can assume that by hiring an instructor he admitted to himself he needed help but still finished the weekend driving the way he does. So it is very safe to say there was a failure of communication between the 2.
Bottom line is that a driver like that shouldn't be allowed solo on the track. Period. If his instructor/coach didn't have authority to keep him off the track, the event organizers should have done so - give him a refund if necessary. And BTW, do you really want to keep defending this driver?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Bottom line is that a driver like that shouldn't be allowed solo on the track. Period. If his instructor/coach didn't have authority to keep him off the track, the event organizers should have done so - give him a refund if necessary. And BTW, do you really want to keep defending this driver?
here are the rules and he didn't break any. I'm sure they had plenty of black flags. And yes, he is a friend.
http://www.mvptracktime.com/id67.html
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's please remember that this is a public forum, and there's much at stake here. Let's keep the discussion "general" without pointing fingers. All involved (driver, instructor, event organizer) have much at stake here. Remember: big brother (as in PCA, Porsche, COTA, etc) IS watching you!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, remember that we ALL are driving enthusiasts, and given COTA's recent actions, this only hurts the prospect of ANY repeat events there. Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

here are the rules and he didn't break any. I'm sure they had plenty of black flags. And yes, he is a friend.
http://www.mvptracktime.com/id67.html
"Any questionable issues will be left to the prudent judgment of MVP Track Time, the instructors, and/or the track stewards."
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
bassam
Rennlist Member

"Any questionable issues will be left to the prudent judgment of MVP Track Time, the instructors, and/or the track stewards."
and obviously there was none, he drove till sunday.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

and obviously there was none, he drove till sunday.

Quick Reply: Paging all driving coaches