Paging all driving coaches

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
I wonder how he did in the Koenigsegg. I'll check twitter.

Well played sir.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Did he win the DE?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Early Apex, no apex, pinching corners, yeah he needs help
My thoughts exactly!
Yowza!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol he points by on the second "near spin" and he doesnt slow down... i hate these clowns
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaiB
Perhaps he should buy a 7Cup and go racing...
that guy shoudl have gloves on, have some kind of arm restraint. it was pretty nifty the way he was resting his elbow on his door ledge. if only had a tiny clue at what would happen to his neck and arms and hands if he crashed and rolled. i never understand why anyone on a race track doesnt suit up, race gloves, hans, proper fire suits etc. you go hunting, load for bear. and the way that guy is driving, expect a wreck.

safety should be priority #1. then again, hes working on his tan.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
you know i watch videos like that it makes me sometimes just ask you coaching guys....how in the world do you sleep at night knowing that the next day you might be getting in the passenger seat of some lunatic like that, who has no idea the risks to which he is exposing himself, has no idea how poor of a driver he is...and yet you are along for the ride.

i give you coaches the utmost respect for your dedication to clients, giving back and assuming such risks. on the other hand, i must ask, WTF is wrong with you guys???? granted this guy is an exception, but id imagine there are a lot of yahoos like that in the white learning groups.
+1

I have zero desire to be a right-seat instructor for that very reason.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

The guy in the video is a friend and a very cool guy for a 60 plus year old person. I'm not going to defend his driving habits and he knows that what he's doing is wrong, it's just he can't change it. His "instructor" was poking fun at him among other "friends" behind his back that weekend. So give the guy a break, it's only a DE and I'm sure they had enough black flags that day to stop anybody from endangering others.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,316 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by bassam
The guy in the video is a friend and a very cool guy for a 60 plus year old person. I'm not going to defend his driving habits and he knows that what he's doing is wrong, it's just he can't change it. His "instructor" was poking fun at him among other "friends" behind his back that weekend. So give the guy a break, it's only a DE and I'm sure they had enough black flags that day to stop anybody from endangering others.
Seriously? Then he should get the f off the track. The rest of us don't need to be dodging bozos like that.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Seriously? Then he should get the f off the track. The rest of us don't need to be dodging bozos like that.
In case you are not aware, all you need to join a DE is a driver's license, some cash and a car.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, the instructor should not be disparaging his student at all. He should be talking frankly with him and helping him to slow down, stopping the dangerous actions and improve as a driver. If the driver won't listen to instruction or is incapable of carrying out the instruction, so that he and others are safe out there, then he needs to stay off the track.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, ive been co-riding and unofficially coaching for years, only in the last year actually working as a paid instructor, and i can say that i would not let the student ride solo until those horrible habits are corrected to my satisfaction. there is always an element of danger to the job, but when i am in the passenger seat as an instructor, even when i have a 60 or 70 year old student in a ferrari or whatever, "i" am in charge and i get my point across in a firm but friendly manner. To fail at that is to be doing a disservice to your student. i would love to ride with this gentlman and make him a better and safer driver. He is a blank canvas and a perfect opportunity! To say "its only a DE" is extremely concerning and warrants a whole other lecture!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
Well, the instructor should not be disparaging his student at all. He should be talking frankly with him and helping him to slow down, stopping the dangerous actions and improve as a driver. If the driver won't listen to instruction or is incapable of carrying out the instruction, so that he and others are safe out there, then he needs to stay off the track.
You are absolutely right, his instructor told him a lot of times about the hands and the steering wheel, but the pressure of a new track, driving with his mirrors and trying to do his best got the bad habits to surface again.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,316 Likes on 2,455 Posts

In case you are not aware, all you need to join a DE is a driver's license, some cash and a car.
Also need to a willingness to follow the rules, respect other drivers, and show some common sense.

Originally Posted by CCA
Agree, it's a fail for both the driver and instructor. The instructor never should have let the situation get so out of hand.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

The instructor is expected to be able to control the car with his voice (i.e. via the student's ears). Short of that, bring him in and continue instruction in the paddock in a stationary car. Plenty can be taught while sitting stationary when the student is starting from scratch.... particularly when the alternative is trying to teach in a fully-lit GT2, a $200k 500hp physics lab on wheels.

I'm glad to hear the student is a nice guy (99% of them are). If there really was an instructor in the car during the filmed laps, then the instructor is as much at fault as anyone else.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I won't volunteer too much info, the driver is a friend and can post if he wants. His instructor tried several times to point out his shortcomings. Some people can't or won't allow themselves to listen. I improved my lap times by six seconds using the very same instructor, didn't put a single wheel out all weekend. At one point the instructor even pulled the driver and his wife aside and had a "heart-to-heart" with both. His exact words: "I love you, but you're an accident waiting to happen."

There's a lesson here for all of us fellow instructors: convey your message in a concise and direct manner, and don't let emotion get in the way. I would have asked the driver firmly to cut that BS. If he didn't comply, I'd spoken to the event organizer and sit him down for the day.
And as a student: listen to your instructor, and try to apply his advise.

My friend has taken this very lightly and has tried to use every excuse in the book, from "bad tires" to "my car has no harness, only 2-point seatbelts". My fear is he hasn't realized yet that his driving is reckless and that he has serious issues. I sincerely hope this is a wakeup call for him. Flame on.

BTW, the driver was solo in the filmed laps.

Quick Reply: Paging all driving coaches