Sponsored by:

Ford F350 computer program?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ford F350 computer program?

Not sure where I might post this question, but I have a 2012 Ford F350 Powerstroke that I use to tow my race car. This truck has a 6.5 foot bed and the only option is a 26 gallon fuel tank. Not enough range.

I have been looking at replacement gas tanks by both Titan and Transfer Flow inc who both make a 50 gallon replacement under bed gas tanks. I am looking to see if anyone on the forum has done this?

The issue is the trip program computer has to be reprogrammed so that the Miles to Empty will work correctly and maybe even your MPG calculation. Anyone run across this?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Somone posted about this in ~the last year. Search might find it.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I think i found the tread that you remembered, it did discuss in general terms but for a different year, just looking to see if someone has already crossed this bridge.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps Titan or Transfer would have sources???

I've been using, with great results, a tuner from these guys on my 2009: http://www.spartandieseltech.com/

Last edited by Eifeler; 01-07-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 45 gallon, gravity fed, auxiliary tank mounted in the bed. It does not use the computer to calculate, but I know my mileage/gal and that the main tank is 38 gallons. When it starts to go down I have a pretty good idea when I need to fuel up. Love the 83 gals.

Verbotin posted the comment about the computer. Search his posts.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

The folks here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/ talk about small tanks all the time, and the alternatives.
I bought the long bed, thank goodness. 26 gallons for towing is nuts.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Technically speaking if it was a transfer tank, and the transfer tank is empty.... The actual tank gallons will then register properly on the trip computer... And before the transfer tank is empty you have... more than the highest miles on the computer.

But good thinking about the details.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mooty went to one of the larger tanks but in his Chevy Duramax. Still you might ask him about the issue.....
Old 01-08-2013, 01:56 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 50 gallon Titan installed in my 2012 F250 PS. The stock 26 gallon tank is stupid. I hate stopping with a trailer in tow, love the big tank. I use a fuel additive/water disperser, big tank has more potential for water and condensation, the HPFP can't handle ANY water...a$k me how I know.

The dealer reprogrammed the fuel gauge so it correctly displays miles to empty and fuel level. Be sure they select the correct tank size, there are many options. If you need to give you dealer specific instructions you can find them on Ford Truck Enthusiasts but they should all know how by now. Search this thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...-bad-news.html
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by consolidated
I had a 50 gallon Titan installed in my 2012 F250 PS. The stock 26 gallon tank is stupid. I hate stopping with a trailer in tow, love the big tank. I use a fuel additive/water disperser, big tank has more potential for water and condensation, the HPFP can't handle ANY water...a$k me how I know.

The dealer reprogrammed the fuel gauge so it correctly displays miles to empty and fuel level. Be sure they select the correct tank size, there are many options. If you need to give you dealer specific instructions you can find them on Ford Truck Enthusiasts but they should all know how by now. Search this thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...-bad-news.html
Thanks for your post, i just wanted to hear it from someone who has done it. I have been pondering either the Transfer Flow tank which is less expensive, made of of steel and heavier, or the Titian which is made of plastic and lighter but about 300.00 more expensive. At this point leaning towards the Titian because plastic can't rust and its lighter by far. At this point what is the sense of worrying about money, that ship has already left the harbor.

I am thinking about installing myself, did they recommend an installer? what did that cost?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a shop install it. It didn't look too tough as long as you drain the stock tank and use tie downs to lower and raise the tanks. I recall being charged 3.5 hours. There are some great DIY videos on youtube however. I bought the bash guard just in case. I was told Hummers use plastic tanks now and they're not an issue.

Be sure to make sure the top is properly torqued and sealed, some pinched the gasket and got water in their fuel. It sits in a recess and will hold water.

Quick Reply: Ford F350 computer program?