Sponsored by:

Work Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 909 Likes on 444 Posts
Default Work Light

Okay, I searched and didn't find anything.....

I am looking for a work light to use in my garage. I am thinking that an LED light would be a good choice but I thought I would ask here for recommendations. I don't think I need cordless but with LED that seems like an option. Or do I want a fluorescent work light? I am almost 100% sure I don't want incandescent!

Thanks,

Scott
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott, look at the Gorilliatorch from LL Bean. I got one for Christmas last year and wouldn't want to be without it...got another.

It may be small, but the magnetic feet, the twisty arms and the multi-function lamp are fantastic; the damn thing fits anywhere and does the job. I keep them in my trailer with the legs twisted around a tire rack.

If too small - for a shop anyway, I'd get a larger floor mounted unit and still get two of these.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 983 Likes on 590 Posts

i would say LED rechargable is the way to go. I have a small (2x3x1) folding light from Snap On that is by far my favorite light.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts

I agree rechargeable LED. I have this one from Griots for $40. It is really bright and I've ever exhausted the battery. It's also great for walking outside at night.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got a rechargeable Sears one. $20 and lots of light. I also have a corded Bayco (which has two 13w fluorescent tubes), which gives a bigger puddle of light. But it was more expensive.

The LED:

The Bayco fluorescent -- I attached it to an old cord reel I had:

Best solution I've found? A headlamp. But you have to get a good one. There's light everywhere you look, and it's not harsh and blue, and it gets even brighter as you get closer to what you're working on. A little nerdy-looking, sure, but even at $70, this is one of the best bang-for-the-buck tools in my shop.

Unlike a trouble light, you never need to position it. And nothing gets lost in the shadows. It's got 120° sweep to its flood and a warmer light temperature than you typically see from LEDs. It's made by Zebralight.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Costco has a led snap on unit that works with 4 AA batteries.$19
If you don't have them in the US let me know. I could pick them up and ship them. Post pics later...I'm up north skiing....Much better then the rechargeable led lights I've purchased.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

I use this one all the time.

http://www.saftlite.com/ProdDetail.a...98&gid=1&fid=4

Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Black and Decker rechargeable LED light. Most disappointing tool ever. Barely holds a charge.

My $10 fluorescent drop light didn't work the other day, so I was at Sears and bought another LED plug in version. The problem with both versions, is that the light always goes right into your eyes and not on the work.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by KaiB
Scott, look at the Gorilliatorch from LL Bean. I got one for Christmas last year and wouldn't want to be without it...got another.

It may be small, but the magnetic feet, the twisty arms and the multi-function lamp are fantastic; the damn thing fits anywhere and does the job. I keep them in my trailer with the legs twisted around a tire rack.

If too small - for a shop anyway, I'd get a larger floor mounted unit and still get two of these.
2nd the Gorillatorch. It's immensely versatile. I've done brake pad swaps in the driveway with just the Gorillatorch. The only thing that beats it are standing halogen lamps.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a corded LED light and love it. Not hot like incandescent, and it doesn't brake when dropped like a fluorescent.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Eifeler
Pro

I have the same Sears LED as Jack. Bright, versatile and holds charge forever. Used it this weekend when changing out the plugs in the wife's Expedition (anybody that has changed plugs on a 3V 5.4L knows what a nightmare this is).
Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with the headlamp concept. But, for close-up work (especially as I get older), nothing beats the optivisor with LED attachment (you can choose the magnification with different lenses). You can flip the lense up and down easily when not in use. The whole set-up is about $60. I use one at least 20 times a day at work (comfortable and sturdy).

Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 909 Likes on 444 Posts

I bought one of these and, so far, I like it a lot.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Originally Posted by Coochas
I agree rechargeable LED. I have this one from Griots for $40. It is really bright and I've ever exhausted the battery. It's also great for walking outside at night.

I am also considering one of these non-portable uses when I want even more light:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0762603

Scott
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I go through a lot of lights working on cars professionally. I can't stand corded lights, and the tube lights are too big to stick where you need them at times (especially on a porsche) The best I have found are Blue point lights from snap on. They aren't cheap at 65 bucks, but they are awesome, and being rechargeable is a huge bonus. Just plug it in and leave it. the current light I just picked up is led, just a little bigger than a deck of cards, incredibly bright, you can angle it, and the magnetic base is very strong so you can stick it on the thinest of metal and still have it stay. My last blue point was longer like some of the ones above, but the new one you can stick down in the tightest quarters and the light output is incredible.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 983 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I go through a lot of lights working on cars professionally. I can't stand corded lights, and the tube lights are too big to stick where you need them at times (especially on a porsche) The best I have found are Blue point lights from snap on. They aren't cheap at 65 bucks, but they are awesome, and being rechargeable is a huge bonus. Just plug it in and leave it. the current light I just picked up is led, just a little bigger than a deck of cards, incredibly bright, you can angle it, and the magnetic base is very strong so you can stick it on the thinest of metal and still have it stay. My last blue point was longer like some of the ones above, but the new one you can stick down in the tightest quarters and the light output is incredible.
That sounds like the one I have it. It's awesome! I have to make sure friends don't "borrow" it when they come over.

Quick Reply: Work Light