Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-Car from Spec Box Roll Over at WSIR...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

Would really like to see photos of the cage. That was one hell of a ride...
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does POC use Advanced Rescue for their races? It does not seem so. Or are they not allowed at WS?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

It looked from the video that the cage was pushed down along with the windshield frame on the passenger side. Glad the driver walked away. That was a nasty roll over.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the in car video:

Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nasty wreck, thanks for sharing, lots to learn there
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darkstar1
Would really like to see photos of the cage.
+1
Just from a learning standpoint it would be helpful. I had one of my 996 cage builds survive a T-bone and then in a separate incident survive a roll over recently. The driver walked away from both incidents just fine.

This roll over looks like it was a much harder roll and in a different direction. It's always good to see a cage that has been tested and do it's job as it should, if photos are posted anywhere please let us know.

Thank you,
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JR,
I know this is not you but I was wondering a couple of things and would like to hear others input on these questions:
1. I know it is "safe" in you car after a wreak but after a roll like that I'd have a tendency to attempt to get out ASAP in case a fuel or oil line broke/disconnect. Sitting there and all of the sudden the thing burst into flames is my worst thought. What do others thing? It clear the video was cut between him waving and the truck pulling up.
2. I'm wondering how long it took from stop of roll to truck on scene.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Brinkley I am not sure he was able to think about the exit for quite some time. Listening to him talk makes me think he was too dazed to get out and with the lack of fire and smoke maybe not motivated. But I would like to see the cage damage and wonder if he had any helmet contact during the event. As onefastviking says it could be a good education on tube placement.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I build "excessive" Boxster cages. The thought of a collapsed cage scares the crap out of me...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brinkley
JR,
I know this is not you but I was wondering a couple of things and would like to hear others input on these questions:
1. I know it is "safe" in you car after a wreak but after a roll like that I'd have a tendency to attempt to get out ASAP in case a fuel or oil line broke/disconnect. Sitting there and all of the sudden the thing burst into flames is my worst thought. What do others thing? It clear the video was cut between him waving and the truck pulling up.
I can understand the impulse to get out of the car, but inside the car is the safest place to be unless the car is on fire or you can smell a fuel leak. There are other cars on track that might hit you; you might have a neck injury, be impaled by something, etc., in which case moving would be a bad idea. Stay in the car and let the emergency personnel do their job.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

looked like the car in question , got 2 wheels off and then snapped back on and hit the camera car. nasty!!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Unless smoke or fire is seen, the safest place is in the car still harnessed in and helmet on. Other race cars at speed could be still coming and not see you, they could spin on spilled oil/water/fuel/etc on track. If you can see a corner worker station and you are ok, give them the thumbs up and wait for safety crew.
Once safety crew arrives follow their instructions. Leaving helmet on and harnessed in still may still be best. In big impacts internal damage can happen and things can happen that medics may need to attend to as soon as you unbuckle. Removing a helmet if injured can also cause additional injuries.

Originally Posted by Brinkley
JR,
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Unless smoke or fire is seen, the safest place is in the car still harnessed in and helmet on. Other race cars at speed could be still coming and not see you, they could spin on spilled oil/water/fuel/etc on track. If you can see a corner worker station and you are ok, give them the thumbs up and wait for safety crew.
Once safety crew arrives follow their instructions. Leaving helmet on and harnessed in still may still be best. In big impacts internal damage can happen and things can happen that medics may need to attend to as soon as you unbuckle. Removing a helmet if injured can also cause additional injuries.
Exactly, which is why I suggested you listen to the safety crew member when he approaches the driver.

There's much more to add to this discussion regarding the cage but I'm going to resist until the cage builder's engineers issue their report. They inspected the car yesterday, looked into the tubes and made some preliminary judgements. All the welds held fine but the main hoop did suffer some deflection which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The first hit was estimated at 10G's which is pretty damn huge. Without deflection, the energy the cage absorbed would instead have been transferred to the driver most likely causing spinal and/or other serious injuries. Cages are designed to dissipate energy through deformation, fracture, and bending.

More to follow but probably not until next week. No photos for now.....
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 AM
KnowSomeStuff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appeared to me the diagonal in the main hoop was TWO pieces and not ONE (like all the rules call for) This is what caused the drivers side of the hoop to compress. A passenger *probably* would have died with the way that the passenger side A pillar collapsed into the car.

It's my personal opinion that the POC tech stations need to be policed a *little* closer. I still see "pipe" padding in cars (which Parker addressed) for roll cages.

The solution? Stop letting POC tech stations tech their customer cars. Make the owners find another shop. The other shops will QUICKLY call out any issues It would also be nice if they would just perform an annual tech (like all the other org's) then spot tech at each event.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

My interest is to learn the good and bad and in no way is intended to criticize the builders of this cage. I totally understand that deformation of the cage dissipates energy. Informational only...

Quick Reply: In-Car from Spec Box Roll Over at WSIR...