Sponsored by:

Seat recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat recommendation?

My seat is now out of date so I need another (I do not want to use a seat back brace).

I have used a Sparco Evo from the very beginning. I like it but I was hoping to get something with deeper lateral support. The Evo is comfortable but not very aggressive in that regard.

The Sparco Corsa seems to fit that bill but is evidently really narrow for really skinny people... I have a 34" waist, I'm 5'8" and weigh about 175.

I'm not interested in head containment seats. The one time I sat in one (in another 911), I couldn't see a thing.

Thanks a lot-
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Reconsider the containment seat. Visibility is not really an issue once you get your mirrors setup correctly. You get used to the seat quickly.....just like the Hans Device.

I like the Cobra Sebring Pro.....

Scott
Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Reconsider the containment seat. Visibility is not really an issue once you get your mirrors setup correctly.

I like the Cobra Sebring Pro.....
Thanks Scott. Cobra... they look nice.

Is it possible that the head containment "wings?" on the Sebring Pro appear smaller/shorter than usual?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Astroman
Thanks Scott. Cobra... they look nice.

Is it possible that the head containment "wings?" on the Sebring Pro appear smaller/shorter than usual?
The Cobra Sebring Pro in my race car does not seem any different in the helmet containment area than the Racetech or Recaro containment seats I have seen.

Scott
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get used to it, a "halo" seat becomes a non issue in terms of visibility, and the safety benefits are huge. I would suggest the Sparco Circuit, or Circuit Pro depending on which one fits better.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Sparco PRO ADV (5' 11" 190lbs) Very comfortable, good lateral support and no issues with the head wings!

JF
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 AM
winders
Race Car

Astroman,

I would go somewhere that has a bunch of different seats to sit in. For me, the Cobra Sebring Pro and Racetech RT4009HR fit well and seemed to use high quality materials. None of the Sparco seats did it for me. The materials used seemed to be lower quality and they did not fit me well. Others probably have a different opinion. So look at and sit in as many seats as you can so you can find the right seat for you.

Scott
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried every seat I could get into at a couple track events and narrowed it down to the Sparco Pro ADV and OMP HTE. HTE fit me better. Have had for six months now and I love it.

IMO if you're wearing a HANS, the containment seat isn't limiting.

Last edited by Eifeler; 11-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eifeler
Reied eavery seat I could get into at a couple track events and narrowed it down to the Sparco Pro ADV and OMP HTE. HTE fit me better. Have had for six months now and I love it.

IMO if you're wearing a HANS, the containment seat isn't limiting.
I use the OMP HTE as well and have no issues with visibility. Using a smaller passenger seat also helps. I'm 5'10" 185#
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I LOVED my Racetech. But I've got a big belly and no butt. I've got my second Kirkey now and I liked both of them too.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

There's really no good way for us to reccomend a seat to you. You need to sit in a bunch of seats and find what fits best.

You may find differently but I agree with others about halo seats not posing an issue for visibility. They do tend to make ingress and efress a bit more difficult in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

You and i of similar size. I have a recaro hans pro. Great seat, super comfortable and sturdy.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
There's really no good way for us to reccomend a seat to you. You need to sit in a bunch of seats and find what fits best.

You may find differently but I agree with others about halo seats not posing an issue for visibility. They do tend to make ingress and efress a bit more difficult in my opinion.
I know I know. It's like a helmet... gotta try 'em on.

Except I live in little ole Kentucky. No "local" race shops around to go test seats. And I can't wait until the next race (March) to sit in a bunch of seats because my seat is already out of date.

I'm warming up to the Halo seats. I guess I've never read anyone complain about the visibility. It's just the one time I sat in one, it seemed to make a big difference (in a bad way).
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
I'm warming up to the Halo seats. I guess I've never read anyone complain about the visibility. It's just the one time I sat in one, it seemed to make a big difference (in a bad way).
If you buckle up in a Halo seat with HANS and helmet it should eleviate your concerns.

Might have to sneak off to the closest significant DE/CR to try a few seats.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe

+1!

Quick Reply: Seat recommendation?