Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK I'm over the potential visibility issue. Thanks for the encouragement.

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Access is the issue, i slide the seat to get in/out except during enduros.
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Like every type of security device there always seems to be an inverse relationship between safety and access...
Now this is my next concern. I sit very far forward in the car (old 911). I'm required to keep the side vent window intact (PCA Stock rules).

Originally Posted by sprintamx
But, you may also need to reconsider your decision to forego a seat-back brace, unless you want to put the seat on sliders. That's another discussion . . .
The above reason is why I can't use a seat back brace, even with my regular seat. With the side vent window combined with my forward seating position, I absolutely have to slide the seat backwards to climb out the window Dukes of Hazzard style. I suspect with a Halo seat, like Juan, I will have to slide the seat back to get out even with the door open.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions so far.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
The above reason is why I can't use a seat back brace, even with my regular seat. With the side vent window combined with my forward seating position, I absolutely have to slide the seat backwards to climb out the window Dukes of Hazzard style. I suspect with a Halo seat, like Juan, I will have to slide the seat back to get out even with the door open.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions so far.
I have about 10" from the halo to my vent window, you need to have sliders. Get a new set of them (Brey Krause is what I have IIRC) to match your seat. No way to exit out that door with it closed, not impossible with it open but sliders will make it a lot better. One of the reasons I... ahem.. want the seat gone on the right side is that it may be my only way out if something very bad happened and the faster I can get out the better.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Even in areas with quite a few safety equipment shops it seems hard to try a lot of different seats. The stores cannot carry a lot of brands nor a lot of inventory because of the manufacturer requirements and the dating. But it may be worth a drive.

I might also consider visiting a racing business with a lot of cars on hand. They may be willing to let you sit in a bunch of seats. And maybe some reasonably local group, like a PCA region, may have a network of racers somewhere near where you live... racers you may not already know, and you can connect with them this holiday season and sit in their cars.

I started with a Sparco Evo years ago. It was not very supportive, even though it seemed to be fine in the store. I switched to a much deeper and narrower Recaro SPG Pro Racer. My waist is about 34 and shrinking. I move around quite a bit in the Recaro.

I would factor in considerations like the relationship of the shoulder harness holes to your cage structure and the tops of your shoulders. And the amount or room for the head and neck restraint behind your helmet. My HANS has worn a hole in my seat fabric. The seat was not designed/built with extra clearance in that area.

As for sliders, several of our local shops are using the 996/Boxster/GT3 double lockers, preferring them over the ubiquitous Sparco and Recaro and similar products.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

OK let's say I was willing to drive for hours to test out some seats. What is the closest race retail shop to central Kentucky? To my knowledge, there is not one in either Cincinnati or Louisville.
If you are ever up this way, you could try http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Seats for OMP and Sabelt. There are actually quite a few suppliers around Indy.

On a related note I have a 16" Ultra-Shield Pro Road Race available. (http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=7) if anyone is interested.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 311 Posts

Will be following this thread closely.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you bought or tried seats yet, Jack? Mine expires in January, so I fitted an OMP HTE seat into my car this past weekend. What a nice seat. These are the ones Porsche installs in the factory Cup Cars. The fit is really nice and once seated with my helmet and hans, the side protection wings do not limit visibility at all. The bucket is deeper, higher sides for more lateral support, than my Cobra's, but not uncomfortable.
You may want to sit in one of these. Take your helmet and hans when you do the demos. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Have you bought or tried seats yet, Jack? Mine expires in January, so I fitted an OMP HTE seat into my car this past weekend. What a nice seat. These are the ones Porsche installs in the factory Cup Cars. The fit is really nice and once seated with my helmet and hans, the side protection wings do not limit visibility at all. The bucket is deeper, higher sides for more lateral support, than my Cobra's, but not uncomfortable.
You may want to sit in one of these. Take your helmet and hans when you do the demos. Good luck.
That must be the one that is similar to mine but tighter in the seat area. Was just a bit too snug for me but if you don't squat 500 lbs it may fit you perfectly! All other dimensions were great IIRC..
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That must be the one that is similar to mine but tighter in the seat area. Was just a bit too snug for me but if you don't squat 500 lbs it may fit you perfectly! All other dimensions were great IIRC..
They come in 2 versions; the regular like mine and a large for you Olympic weight lifters. Great seat and as you guys said, the halo is not a problem. The deep bolsters my take a bit of getting used to.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

They come in 2 versions; the regular like mine and a large for you Olympic weight lifters. Great seat and as you guys said, the halo is not a problem. The deep bolsters my take a bit of getting used to.
I went from a Kirkey that was a bit too wide to my Sparco ADV and my first high-G corner was when I knew how much better this was. I get no movement and I realized I didn't have to put 800lbs of force into my dead pedal to stay in place.. you will love it Randy.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice, fellas. Thanks.

The Sparco Pro ADV and OMP HTE are the last two contenders.

I'm really looking forward to better lateral support. Should be worth a few seconds, at least.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 904 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Great advice, fellas. Thanks.

The Sparco Pro ADV and OMP HTE are the last two contenders.

I'm really looking forward to better lateral support. Should be worth a few seconds, at least.
Have you sat in the Racetech, Cobra, or any seats yet?

Scott
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Am I correct in thinking that with a halo seat I don't need a right side net for Club Racing? I want to remove mine this weekend if I am correct.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I correct in thinking that with a halo seat I don't need a right side net for Club Racing? I want to remove mine this weekend if I am correct.
This is true with NASA, but I can not say for sure about other sanctioning bodies.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcpaz
This is true with NASA, but I can not say for sure about other sanctioning bodies.
PCA doesn't require a right side net either way, not sure of SCCA or others..
Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

NASA requires the right side containment net if not using a head containment seat. With your new HTE, you will no longer need the right side net.

Quick Reply: Seat recommendation?