Seat recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winders
Astroman,

The materials used seemed to be lower quality and they did not fit me well.

Scott
From a builder's standpoint, I'd have to disagree with your assessment on the materials used. I've had direct exposure to seats from Momo, OMP, Sparco, Recaro, Racetek, and Cobra.

From my experience, I have never been impressed with the quality of OMP and their seats have always seemed heavier than the others (no science on this other than lifting the seats in and out of different cars during cage building). I would say the same goes for the lower level Momo seats, however, their higher end models seem to be a bit nicer.

As far as the other four (Sparco, Recaro, Racetek and Cobra), I would say that the quality of the materials and build quality are pretty much the same. I say pretty much the same because I think that some of the others might have a slight edge in the "fit and finish" department (depending on the model), but as far as the materials used, I don't see one as better than the other (Cobra does use some different material in their covers). Generally speaking, they all use the same fiberglass, gel-coat, foam, and seat cover material.

Having said that, I did notice that Sparco just recently changed the material and design of their seat covers, and I noticed the prices on their seats also went up at the same time. I can only assume that this means a higher quality seat cover, but to be honest, I haven't worked with one yet so I can' t say from personal experience.

Here's my $0.02 on the different seat manufacturers

- OMP... meh... read above. Never been a fan.

- Momo. Never been a fan of their entry level seats, but their more expensive seats seem okay. Just a little more obscure than the "major 4"

- Sparco. In my opinion, Sparco delivers the best bang for your buck. They are 9/10ths of what a Recaro/Racetek are, for a lot less money.

- Recaro. Great fit and finish, and some of the lightest seats I've dealt with (especially the carbon versions). Generally speaking, I think Recaros run a bit smaller in the waist and thigh area which I find uncomfortable, but some people like it that way. I have noticed that some of their seats seem a little flexible. You can see it in some on-board videos with seats like the Racer Pro. Maybe this is a designed/engineered feature. Just my observation. Recaro seats are also considerable more expensive than similar Sparco seats

- Racetek. I would class these together with Recaro in terms of fit and finish, weight... and also price. I do find that the Racetek seats are more comfortable to me than all the others. Good back support, and nice long seat bottoms that support your legs well. On a slightly unrelated note, the Racetek aluminum side mounts are some of the most low profile of any others, which helps out a lot in cars like Miatas that have limited space for seat mounts right against the driveshaft tunnel.

- Cobra. I've actually only been exposed to a few Cobra seats, and both were Evolution models. I liked them and there were just as comfortable as the Sparco seats. I do like some of the materials that Cobra uses in the high wear areas.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Astroman,

I would go somewhere that has a bunch of different seats to sit in. So look at and sit in as many seats as you can so you can find the right seat for you.
Scott
Agree, it's the only way to pick out a seat. I went down to Stable Energies in NJ because they had about 15 different seats to try out. It is amazing how two seats can look so much alike yet be so different. Some had the exact bottom I wanted but the shoulders felt wrong, some the opposite, and finally there was one that was perfect for me (and yes I kept an eye out for Goldilocks). I also agree that you should go containment, after an hour in the car you will forget it's there.

Last edited by Gary R.; 11-12-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Jack:
You and I are about the same build, but I have 10 lbs on you. I have an older Sparco Corsa and it is a little snug on me at 190lbs, 34 inch waist.

As far as head containment seats go, you'd fit in a Sparco Pro ADV, Circuit II since the standard Circuit might be a little snug in the hip area), Racetech RT4009HR, Cobra Sebring.

What seat side mounts and sliders are you currently using. If you stick with a Sparco seat, depending on which model, you may not have to change the side mounts.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK let's say I was willing to drive for hours to test out some seats. What is the closest race retail shop to central Kentucky? To my knowledge, there is not one in either Cincinnati or Louisville.

I'm hoping for more of Juan's type of comment: "We are similar sized and this seat fits me well." Any other short, mildly overweight people out there?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Jack:
You and I are about the same build, but I have 10 lbs on you. I have an older Sparco Corsa and it is a little snug on me at 190lbs, 34 inch waist.

As far as head containment seats go, you'd fit in a Sparco Pro ADV, Circuit II since the standard Circuit might be a little snug in the hip area), Racetech RT4009HR, Cobra Sebring.

What seat side mounts and sliders are you currently using. If you stick with a Sparco seat, depending on which model, you may not have to change the side mounts.
Thanks a lot Mark.

I currently use these Brey-Krause 911 side mounts on Sparco sliders:
http://www.bkauto.com/R_9060_Side_Mo...o_p/r-9060.htm

Hmm. I had forgotten that these mounts were so seat specific.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Try a Kirkey,they are easy to dismiss but try one. Reasonable,customizable,safe.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Jack:

I have the standard size Sparco Pro ADV and I currently run 198lb close to 6', 36" waist. The one I liked just as much but was a little too tight was the seat that comes in a Cup car (had a cup car guy with me at the time), not sure which seat it was..
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

As far as another data point, 5' 10" 195lbs, Sparco Pro ADV. LOVE the seat.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chaos
Try a Kirkey,they are easy to dismiss but try one. Reasonable,customizable,safe.
I think the new Kirkey containment is extremely well made and if it fit me better I would have bought it! Van S. here has one in his Jaegermeister 944..
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
OK let's say I was willing to drive for hours to test out some seats. What is the closest race retail shop to central Kentucky? To my knowledge, there is not one in either Cincinnati or Louisville.

I'm hoping for more of Juan's type of comment: "We are similar sized and this seat fits me well." Any other short, mildly overweight people out there?
That's it buddy, no more help from me. Im not mildly overweight... Im succesful at storing calories and i need them to help balance the weight bias of my race car!

FYI! The regular Recaro Hans (the pro?) is veeery narrow. The issue with the lack of visibility can be compensated with the mirrors quite well. Access is the issue, i slide the seat to get in/out except during enduros.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
That's it buddy, no more help from me. Im not mildly overweight... Im succesful at storing calories and i need them to help balance the weight bias of my race car!

I was speaking for myself only!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I have the standard size Sparco Pro ADV and I currently run 198lb close to 6', 36" waist. The one I liked just as much but was a little too tight was the seat that comes in a Cup car (had a cup car guy with me at the time), not sure which seat it was..
I think the cups come with some iteration of the HTE. Thankfully it comes in an XL which fits me perfectly. I'm slightly taller, slightly heavier and slightly wider than you and couldn't squeeze my shoulders comfortably into the Pro ADV. From the waist down it was a perfect fit.

Sounds like the standard HTE and Pro ADV might be a good place to start Astro. G/L
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
As far as another data point, 5' 10" 195lbs, Sparco Pro ADV. LOVE the seat.
+964.

It's a great seat if your rib cage and shoulders are a bit larger than the norm. I'm Mike's size and the seat fits perfectly.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
+1!
+2 and the main reason I prefer the passenger-side safety net to the containment seat. I am pretty thin and if I may say so, flexible, but every time I crawl in or out with my helmet+hans device, up over and around the door bars, even with wheel removed, I say a silent prayer that I never have to do this in a hurry.

Like every type of security device there always seems to be an inverse relationship between safety and access... It's like a rule of nature
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your search for a place that might be near you to try out seats, consider giving Enthusiast Auto Group a call (Closer to Dayton than Cincinnati). Ignore the fact that they're BMW freaks through and through. They do a lot of DE/race prep and support and might know of some places close enough to you for a trip.

Oh, and +10 on the Kirkey. Extremely comfortable and supportive once you're in, and will be the most price competitive of all the high-end race seats you'll be looking at. If you go full containment (halo and ribs) then be prepared to contort yourself to get in. Once in, it's like a glove (I'm 5'8, 180-185, 34" waist, with a larger upper-body--too many pull ups).

But, you may also need to reconsider your decision to forego a seat-back brace, unless you want to put the seat on sliders. That's another discussion . . .

Quick Reply: Seat recommendation?