Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA 2013 Rules Should Be Released Today?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been thinking a lot about this chip/performance mod. I can't see how this is a good thing for Stock Class racing. What were they thinking? They require a spec tire, from a single manufacturer, for Cup Cars but, didn't establish a Spec provider for chip replacements? I don't get it.

The only silver lining may be for us D Class racers. This may encourage the SC cars to come back to D, increasing our fields. That would be a good unintended consequence. Maybe they should allow the Euro SCs to run in D with a significant weight penalty.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Maybe they should allow the Euro SCs to run in D with a significant weight penalty.

I've never heard someone propose moving the Euro SC back a class.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
They require a spec tire, from a single manufacturer, for Cup Cars but, didn't establish a Spec provider for chip replacements? I don't get it.
This is not an E class 911 3.0 vs 3.2 rule. One "spec" chip (or chip programmer) would be impossible. Looking at the 2012 rulebook, I counted 48 cars that can now potentially use a new chip.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

all this talk makes cup cars seem cheaper and cheaper!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
This is not an E class 911 3.0 vs 3.2 rule. One "spec" chip (or chip programmer) would be impossible. Looking at the 2012 rulebook, I counted 48 cars that can now potentially use a new chip.
Jack - you don't think Steve Wong could burn 48 chips or am I misreading? I would think it could be done by one guy in a few days..

Never mind, I get it, 48 different models of cars. But that's only if everyone wanted to spend the money for a new chip to increase their current performance... wait... it adds a cost too, forgot about that.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Jack - you don't think Steve Wong could burn 48 chips or am I misreading? I would think it could be done by one guy in a few days.
I think Steve Wong only does 911 and 964 chips.

But I hear you.

I just wonder how many of you all responded to the rules committee about the Proposal.

Last edited by Astroman; 11-08-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
So you agree. 48 cars makes it even worst. They could have contacted one chip maker who would produce/provide stock spec and sealed chips. With 48 cars it will be easier to get a chip maker to produce the spec chips.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
In my opinion, the chip change is a minor issue, some of the fastest racers I know run in the e stock class and its their ability that makes them fast, the car is icing on the cake. I am new to club racing and thought I needed new tires and the best of everything to compete. The reality is I have run my fastest times in the heat of battle with tires on many heat cycles, not in qualifing on stickers. I have to face the fact that only becoming a better driver will get me to the top of the pack. and if I ever get there, then the costs will go up to be able to compete with the best . But who said racing porsches in any class was cheap.
Spot on!

Quick Reply: PCA 2013 Rules Should Be Released Today?...