Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA 2013 Rules Should Be Released Today?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PCA 2013 Rules Should Be Released Today?...

I can't find them on their website. Anyone know where to look?.....
Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got an email from Walt with the changes but still dont see them on the PCA website.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Red face

From the Email...

From Walter Fricke, PCA Club Racing Technical and Rules

The rules change process for 2013 was affected by an IT change which disabled the forwarding of proposals and comments to the rules chair. After the rules proposals were winnowed and published electronically, the silence was deafening. I knew from other channels that the Spec Boxster racers had decided points of view on the changes proposed for their class, but I wasn't getting them through the e-mail. At which point the forwarding problem was discovered, repaired, and a second e-mail blast was sent out. Here is what the Rules Committee decided to adopt, along with some clarifications which will avoid rocking well settled boats.

Stock 1. Engine. E. Amend to read: The exhaust system is free providing the engine meets any local noise limit requirements. On turbocharged cars, the manifold and other exhaust piping between the exit of the port on the head and the entrance to the stock turbocharger is part of the exhaust system.

Stock 1. Engine Add: Chips are free in pre-OBDII cars, so long as the stock rev limit, and boost control on turbocharged engines, is retained.

Stock 6. Body/Chassis/Interior: Add: Brake and clutch pedal covers may be removed, and material may be attached to the pedals to alter their height and width. Accelerator pedals are free.

SPB. Engine. D: Add: Power steering coolers are allowed.

SPB. Transmission D: Amend to read: Short shift kits are allowed. The shifter console may be raised, but shift cables must remain stock length. Note: the stock rule will also be amended to allow raising the shift console.

GTC2. H. is amended to include GTC2 in the allowance of aftermarket fiberglass or carbon fiber hoods.

GTC2. Add: GTC2 motors may use any Porsche rocker arm.

GTC3. Add: GTC3 mufflers and associated parts, from the header back, may be replaced with a fabricated or aftermarket exhaust system which results in a car which meets a 103 dBA limit, and meets these additional criteria: the secondary piping may be no larger than 2.25" in outer diameter), must incorporate a muffler, must not be longer than stock, and must exit as two pipes in the stock center location or, for early cars not updated, may exit on each side where the factory system exited.

GTC all: Add: For tracks where the noise restriction is 103 dBA or below, additional sound muffling systems may be used in order to comply with the restrictions.

Changes to SP1, 2, 3, and Spec 911 will be added when the rules setting bodies for those classes determine what changes, if any, to make for 2013.

I thank all who responded, as your views help keep Club Racing on a steady keel.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Got the same email... As I read it, these rules were already adopted, not just proposed?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow - I can't believe the aftermarket chip rule passed.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Me either. But I'm NOT complaining!!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
My understanding is that stock chips for a Carrera are NLA and that these cars need to be tuned to run safely on ethanol blends. If true, there was really no choice.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Adding back another 100 lbs should take care of that...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman

i coulda had some influence on this rule

Chips for our cars cannot be found, believe me i tried and its too hard to enforce stock programming on aftermarket chips

The good thing now is that chips can be tuned to expect stupid ethanol and handle it a little better at the revs/temps we put our machinery through.

Cant wait to see if it actually makes a difference, guess i have a good winter expense.....

And the brake/clutch pedal clusters...shes ive had a stop watch fall there and get stuck with teh brake on, gravel get stuck behind the clutch so it was half way depressed (thought i lost my clutch), so ill be happy to make the likelyhood of this happening a little less.

Should be more fun in E for the 3.2 boys well i hope haha
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
From the Email...

From Walter Fricke, PCA Club Racing Technical and Rules

.............Changes to SP1, 2, 3, and Spec 911 will be added when the rules setting bodies for those classes determine what changes, if any, to make for 2013.............
I will beginning working with Walter this month to develop the changes for SP2 and SP3. Relatively minor tweeks planned with the exception of (1) merging the SP2/Prep 2 cars into Prep 1 to further simply and consolidate the SP2 rule set, and (2) clarifying limitations on the work permitted to the cylinder head and compression ratios.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
i coulda had some influence on this rule

Chips for our cars cannot be found, believe me i tried and its too hard to enforce stock programming on aftermarket chips

The good thing now is that chips can be tuned to expect stupid ethanol and handle it a little better at the revs/temps we put our machinery through.

Cant wait to see if it actually makes a difference, guess i have a good winter expense.....

And the brake/clutch pedal clusters...shes ive had a stop watch fall there and get stuck with teh brake on, gravel get stuck behind the clutch so it was half way depressed (thought i lost my clutch), so ill be happy to make the likelyhood of this happening a little less.

Should be more fun in E for the 3.2 boys well i hope haha
How can they check to see if timing, A/F, and all the other tweaks that the chip makers use to gain HP aren't implemented? They never should allow this unless they have someone like Steve Wong produce a chip with all stock parameters and stamped "STOCK PCA" or similar. It's going to be a wild west show without any way to monitor it.

I can see it now "I would like to order a custom chip for my 3.2 race car but I want no performance gains"..
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary, I don't see anything in the rule that limits performance gains on chips. It says chips are free.

Am I missing something?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
How can they check to see if timing, A/F, and all the other tweaks that the chip makers use to gain HP aren't implemented? They never should allow this unless they have someone like Steve Wong produce a chip with all stock parameters and stamped "STOCK PCA" or similar. It's going to be a wild west show without any way to monitor it.

I can see it now "I would like to order a custom chip for my 3.2 race car but I want no performance gains"..
Stock 1. Engine Add: Chips are free in pre-OBDII cars, so long as the stock rev limit, and boost control on turbocharged engines, is retained.

Gary, chips are free in pre OBDII cars (95 and newer), so you can run any performance tune you want as long as you retain the stock rev limiter.

Like Evan I had a hell of a time finding a stock chip for my 92. I finally found one after looking for eight months.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

For NA engines, just need to limit the RPMs.

Guess it's too late, but:
1) Seems hard to believe that used stock chips can't be found.
2) Would like to get truly unbiased comments on the ethanol issue and it's impact on cars with and without chips. If there are issues what are the options for dealing with / managing those issues for both.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:25 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I would have to imagine if it became clear there was a market for used stock chips someone would figure out how to supply that market at the right price.

Quick Reply: PCA 2013 Rules Should Be Released Today?...