Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA 2013 Rules Should Be Released Today?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Gearing is that much different in an SC? I have to shift to 5th by the S/F line IIRC..
I don't what Evan meant, but he is def using 5th gear at Summit.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a fan of the free chip, or the headers for that matter. Yet more advantage to the big budget racers. I certainly don't have the budget to do a bunch of dyno testing to "optimize" the chip, and headers.

No reason PCA couldn't have specified a replica chip, to deal with NLA issues.

Stock is getting much further away from what the factory delivered, and the more freedom the easier it is to find performance advantages (if you have the budget).
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

smoke screen. Doesn't compute either way. whatever tho, I have no dog in the hunt..

Originally Posted by flatsics
I don't what Evan meant, but he is def using 5th gear at Summit.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bsztanko
smoke screen. Doesn't compute either way. whatever tho, I have no dog in the hunt..
I haven't been to Summit. But for reference, at Road America, in my 3.2 (with 6400 rev limit), on 275/35/15 tires, I am just a few rpms away from hitting the limiter on the way to Canada. And I'm pretty slow through the Kink. If the straight at Summit is faster, I would be in the rev limiter for sure.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Gearing is that much different in an SC? I have to shift to 5th by the S/F line IIRC.. LOTs left in 5th by the braking zone though.
It is my understanding that the US Carrera with the 915 is geared the same as the US SC, Bela can you confirm that? Someone told me that all manner of later 911s are running the early ring and pinion for an illegal gearing advantage but that seems unlikely given how easy it should be to check at impound.

Does anyone know if the Euro 915 cars were geared differently or had any optional ratios? Also did any version of the Euro SC cars have an option of bigger (Carrera) brakes? Looking to regain the edge over those chipped up, race gas running Carreras I am going to face next year.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Also did any version of the Euro SC cars have an option of bigger (Carrera) brakes? Looking to regain the edge over those chipped up, race gas running Carreras I am going to face next year.
Honestly Frank, I could never tell an advantage. As you know, the pads are the same. The Carrera rotors are a little thicker (and heavier). I used to co-drive Chris M's Euro SC often (), and frankly, his brakes always felt better than mine. I think the lighter weight of SC helps with that a little. Chris used to drive my car as well, and I think he would agree that there was not a major difference.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Astroman
Honestly Frank, I could never tell an advantage. As you know, the pads are the same. The Carrera rotors are a little thicker (and heavier). I used to co-drive Chris M's Euro SC often (), and frankly, his brakes always felt better than mine. I think the lighter weight of SC helps with that a little. Chris used to drive my car as well, and I think he would agree that there was not a major difference.
Thanks. I have new theory about last year's brake problems- since they did not start until I switched to the Keizer 15" wheels and the leaks were always after sitting in the paddock, I'm thinking that the new wheels do not dissipate heat as well as the Fuchs I was using before. I also noticed that others who are running these wheels are using a Buckley-designed heat sink device between the pad and caliper. So, I tried a "no brakes" cool down lap strategy at SP and did not have any issues, we will see if that works in the heat of summer next season.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Are you talking about 6:10 in in the video, my ears are bad but it sounds like rev limiter.. could it be a lift? Definitely 5th gear either way.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
True. Except for MO 2010, my brakes were always better.

Originally Posted by flatsics
The 911 SC is one of the easiest cars to optimize for max hp output.
The timing can be adjusted with the ignition distributor.
The A/F ration can be adjusted by altering the warm up regulator.
If you really want to optimize things individual injector flow can be adjusted at the fuel head.

I guarantee most if not all of the front running SC's have changed the tuning parameters from the stock settings.

How many SC's have the stock rev limit relay still installed--not many.
What rev limit?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

That avatar is pretty cool Chris---nice pic.
What kinda bike is that...a huffy ;-)

Originally Posted by Chris M.
True. Except for MO 2010, my brakes were always better.

What rev limit?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

it was a joke,
if you want to do the math look at the tires and see for yourself, these tires and numbers are available to everyone as far as i know....but im not gonna do the work for ya

What tire size are you running to not believe this??? or do you not have a 915? i know the g50 is slightly diff
i mean im running the same wheels you do, next time we meet id be happy to give you some rear discards to see the difference (or just give em a shot yourself)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
it was a joke
What was, I missed it? Use the quotes!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran both 8:31 and 7:31 gears @ summit. ran out of gear with the short r&p just like Evan. I had 275/xx/15 hoosiers. Is that a carrera or SC? Euro carrera should be an F class car iirc.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I ran both 8:31 and 7:31 gears @ summit. ran out of gear with the short r&p just like Evan. I had 275/xx/15 hoosiers. Is that a carrera or SC? Euro carrera should be an F class car iirc.
Evan's car is a regular rev-limited USA 915 Carrera.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

So the short gears are legal for SCs and Carreras? I was under the impression that they were not an option on the later cars, and original equipment on the pre-SC 911s.

Quick Reply: PCA 2013 Rules Should Be Released Today?...