Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flying Lizard announcement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche Motorsports politicking for a little more love in the series performance balancing (larger restrictor etc.) for 2013, maybe???
_____
/bs
Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTgears
I think you might have Porsche Motorsports confused with some other company. For Porsche their motorsports division is a freaking cash cow. They run the most profitible motorsports division of any auto manufacturer in the world. Nowhere in the foreseeable future will they be turning the lights out or downsizing in Weissach.
+1

Porsche Motorsports is a PROFIT CENTER for Porsche. Probably the only one in motorsport. No matter the impact on car sales, they make money with it.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I think you might have Porsche Motorsports confused with some other company. For Porsche their motorsports division is a freaking cash cow. They run the most profitible motorsports division of any auto manufacturer in the world. Nowhere in the foreseeable future will they be turning the lights out or downsizing in Weissach.

What we are seeing here with the Lizards is the end of a product cycle. The car that they run is old and outdated and due for retirement. If you were at the helm of FL would you want to spend $5M+ to go run ALMS for a season knowing in advance that you were going to be an also ran? It's just business.

Every Cup and Supercup series around the world this year will run with hundreds of Porsche Cup Cars. They'll keep churning them out like they have for years. And in 2014 we will have a new 991 chassis RSR and a new prototype that they will add to the mix. Porsche is doing anything but de-emphasizing racecars...
well said, and 2014 is going to KICK *** for Porsche fans
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The 2012 car would be ok with less restrictor plate...just maybe....
Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What chassis upgrades are planned on the 991 RSR that will make such an improvement?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What chassis upgrades are planned on the 991 RSR that will make such an improvement
Longer wheel base for one. Will improve high speed cornering - more stable.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, help me understand. ALMS or any racing org wants competitive racing, a good show for the viewers. FL has not been running up front consistantly, why will they not increase their restrictor plate or allow less restrictions to the Porsche? What politics are in play that have not been mentioned. Not all car manufacturers can have development cycles at their peek at the same time.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Porsche and most sanctioning bodies have always had a love hate relationship. They love having Porsche's $'s but would rather they not win everything. That leads to walking the tightrope between keeping them competitive and making the other manufacturers happy.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FL also had a TON of bad luck this year. They could not catch a break. (Getting hit by Ferrari's BEFORE the green Flag etc)
I think they will surprise us with something cool for this next season....
Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
FL also had a TON of bad luck this year. They could not catch a break. (Getting hit by Ferrari's BEFORE the green Flag etc)
I think they will surprise us with something cool for this next season....
true. out before the green at Sebring, which resulted in bad qualifying at Long Beach (field set on points), late puncture at Long Beach, the stall test DSQ at Mosport, etc....the 45 had a rough year even when they were on pace.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
What chassis upgrades are planned on the 991 RSR that will make such an improvement?
I'm not sure of the exact chassis changes, but what I can tell you is that the feedback that I am getting from a certain GS class GA team is that their 991 Carrera that is currently being developed has started out close to as fast as their fully developed and sorted championship winning 997.2. There is no doubt that the new chassis is better than the old one. The problem here is that Porsche's release of the new factory built racecars just isn't quite ready yet. In Europe this coming year, the SuperCup cars will be 991 chassis Cups, but we won't see those Cup Cars nor the new 991 RSR for another year yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
+1

Porsche Motorsports is a PROFIT CENTER for Porsche. Probably the only one in motorsport. No matter the impact on car sales, they make money with it.
in 2011 Porsche invested 800+ mln euros into development center in Weissach. from investor perspective to be called a profit center this department had to return more than a billion back, i do not see that in their published annual report.
i do not argue that any cap car parts and products are sold with a very nice looking margin compared to production costs. but it does not make R&D department a profit center when you speak about overall budget of a whole corporation.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Too bad they won't just show up in this car!
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
in 2011 Porsche invested 800+ mln euros into development center in Weissach. from investor perspective to be called a profit center this department had to return more than a billion back, i do not see that in their published annual report.
i do not argue that any cap car parts and products are sold with a very nice looking margin compared to production costs. but it does not make R&D department a profit center when you speak about overall budget of a whole corporation.
Huh?? The Porsche Motorsports operation does not have to support the entire Weissach development center. Porsche has stated that the motorsports division makes a profit and must make a profit to exist.

Scott
Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
What sort of business are you in? I've never heard of a business that works on the assumption that it amortize the cost of capital investments in a single year. They'll be paying off that investment for many years to come. But it turns a profit in return. That's why it is called an investment...

Quick Reply: Flying Lizard announcement