Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POC @ Sonoma Raceway 10-27/28

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

I will be there. My wife and some of the other wives/SO's are the timing and scoring crew for the event. Racers are admonished to treat them with courtesy. Flowers, chocolates and bottles of red wine and chardonnay go over well too.

i will be roaming the paddock in general, but when stationary can usually be found near the PRC number 24 car's area.

Stay tuned for the "official" PRC internet press release for this event.

- Mike
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll be there. Good SPB turnout, looks like 11 cars. Glad the POC guys are coming up.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Ill be out there too. Driving the race car up, and my stuff, just in case. otherwise, ill be hanging out with Borelli's team.

shouild be an awesome event, and great weather forcasted!

Mk
Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

How'd the weekend go? Friday weather was awesome.. don't think I've ever seen such a perfect day at Sonoma. Lot of traffic though.. and what's up with splitting into openwheel/closedwheel run groups on a test day when there's like 4 god damned open wheelers and 30 miatas and spec e30's?!?

Any video/photos?

-mike
Old 10-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike: We had a great weekend with some really fun racing and fabulous weather. I had great fun on Sunday chasing a POC guy, Drew Waterhouse, in his cup car. I see that the results are already up on mylaps.com too. I don't think we had any car-to-car incidents in the GT group, although a couple guys had off track excursions that ended their weekend early. I'll try and post the Sunday race video tonight.

Those E30's and Miata's are there to make life 'interesting'. I never got a clean lap in. I was lucky that Johannes got two clean laps in the car in the short time he had to lay down some data for me. I take it you enjoyed your time with Patrick?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Was there an event photographer? It would be cool to see some pics of POC and PRC mixing it up.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 917 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Was there an event photographer? It would be cool to see some pics of POC and PRC mixing it up.
Usually it is these guys:

http://www.headonphotos.net/images.html

But the event photos are not up yet.

Scott
Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually bought the CD of my car at the event. It's been a few years since I got any good on track photos so I bought them this time. I'll look through them tonight too and post any that look 'special' (any with my car in it, by definition, are fabulous).
Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nothing too exciting in the photos. This one at least shows my arch-rival, Gary Willard #32, in his proper place (behind me).
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,854 Likes on 2,395 Posts

tom, good job at getting in front of gary w.!
i see that jrgordon is behind both you u.!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

John is not as familiar with the track as we are (and I love the advantage it gives us). Gary was struggling with old tires or testing Hoosiers (not as good as the Goodyears). But I take the win any way I can get it.

I still remember the first time I ran the Turtle at SP and I was happy with a 1:54. Time goes on and the driver improves... My best is now a 1:44.1 (set Saturday). Johannes got 2 good laps in on Friday and did low 1:43s. I still have work to do.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Tom it was good meeting you. My little girl thought your dogs were adorable, as did my wife.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice work Tom! You've definitely got faster this year.. I was watching you for a few laps into and out of T11 and I thought Johannes was in the car! :-)

Here's our cleanest laps side-by-side from the last session on Friday afternoon:

Track conditions were pretty horrible on Friday and a lot of traffic. Spending time with good coaches makes the learning curve so much steeper! I think JvO and Patrick are the best available... we're lucky they both happen to be in California.

-mike
Old 10-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Fun weekend and what a great track (once I learned where it went).

Unfortunately I was hobbled with a slipping clutch after the first session on Saturday (no 3rd gear on acceleration sucks) so I pretty much just drove around near the back and tried to stay out of the way (mostly succeeded).

I am not sure I had anything for JR anyway, but still got my POC points on Sunday after his engine let go (he failed on lap 8 and I pulled off after lap 9 to get out of the way so ....)

I am very much looking forward to getting back to Sonoma with a healthy car.

Cheers,

ps - my apologies for the spin and resultant yellow on the 1st lap of Saturday qualifying. Hopefully I did not hose anyone too bad
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

You spun at T2, I can't think of how many thousands of other folk have done that on the first lap. I'd be lying if I said "I've never done that". It was not an issue. Come back again for more fun, and don't wait until the end of the year.

I'll be trying to get back down to Fontana for the PCA race there next year. I enjoyed that track.

Quick Reply: POC @ Sonoma Raceway 10-27/28