FS '92 Cup car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
more from peanut gallery:

if I was selling the car, I would clean it up and post 10 really good picutes of it (exterior all sides, interior, engine compartment, frunk, w-pass, etc.)

its the pics that sell penthouse, not the letters

It looks to be a great car and GLWS... I wish I could take it down.
Agree with PJ.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good points guys. We'll work on it even though I am more in line with the thinking of Charlie and "Nizer". I will relate the message/thoughts to the owner.

Thanks again for the feedback.

FAP
Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 586 Posts

IMHO - everyone thinks their car is the best of the breed. 993 is better than a 964 is better than a Carrera better than an SC, etc. The real truth is that in time, any limited production racing Porsche is going to be worth money. It's not hard to know someone how had a 550, early 911S, 356 Speedster, etc. and sold it for $2,500 back in the day becuase it was a crappy old car.

Horses for courses and their is an *** for every seat. You just have to market it right and find the person.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Any race car with provenance and/or driven by a famous driver will command $$ at some point. A 996/997 Cup that was purchased by a club racer... not so much.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh, wait a tic. I was wrong these cars aren't worth much at all, I thought you were talking about a RS America, now those are worth some bling... As it is a worn out old racecar that you can't even drive on the street is probably only worth salvage value at best, you'd have to probably pay to have it hauled away. I would be happy to help out a lister in trouble and haul it away for scrap, and I'll even take the old wheels and worn out rubber too. It's probably worth $7-800 for the metal bits as there's no interior stereo or seats...when can I come by and get it out of the way?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More photos in this thread, when the car was for sale 2 1/2 years ago for $59k.

As I said in my previous post, the race car market is very, very soft.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
I think eventually these early Cup cars will absolutely hit the hockey stick appreciation curve in a way the water-cooled cars won't. There are more Porsche collectors on the planet than any other marque, and eventually one of these will be de rigueur for the 'complete' racecar anthology. They are genuinely low-production and now a significant link in Porsche racing history, leading as they did to the hugely successful customer car program that is the Cup series today.

This has most of the attributes of high collectibility:
-impact when new
-historical relevance, significance (i have plenty of period videos, minichamp minitures, articles and literature on mine)
-technological interest (handbuilt factory mods)
-a venue to 'use' it (vintage racing)
-rarity

The big negative relative to the 'Sports Car Market' crowd (and by the way, the cup cars don't even show up in their price guide yet): not street legal.

I think the 993 version is even more desirable since production numbers were lower, racer-specific content was higher, and it's the last air-cooled car. Which is why I bought one instead of the 964...
Nevertheless i predict we will live to see these hit $200K restored at collector auctions within 10-15 years. Meanwhile you get to sample a legitimate milestone car on track days and selective races (I'm thinking vintage not PCA) Pretty good deal.

I don't know this car but this is consistent with asking prices when I was shopping three years ago so this looks a lot like the bottom of the market to me, wish I had the space/budget
I tend to agree with post above regarding collectibility of Porsche factory race cars. When I was looking for one, I wanted something with factory provenance. I considered the 964 and 993 Cups, but the biggest downside for these cars is the non-street legal status. For the most part, it seems silly to drive a proper race car in the street, but yet the romance of a dual use race car remains a factor (as evidenced by 50s/60s dual use race cars).

The other downside is the car's limited venue, but this may change as such cars will be increasingly accepted in more prestigious venues. In better economic times, these cars seem to have been sold/bought at higher prices. If one has the means and longer outlook, this may be a good time to buy. Of course, one has to have affinity for such a car.

In my search, I eventually bought a lowly, but factory 944 Cup with period race history. First, I've always liked its looks and how it handled; it also represented an attainable Porsche for me during my formative years. Little did I know that I would still own one even after >10 air-cooled 911s. The 944 Cup was the pre-cursor to the Carrera Cup and still ongoing SuperCups. But the two differentiating factors for me were: the venues and street legality. I have raced mine in SCCA Vintage, 944 Cup (modern series) and at Rennsport Reunion IV (where it was the only 944 accepted in Group 4). The added benefit of street legality has expanded my enjoyment of the car as I've taken it to some nice drives, PCA show events and cars/coffee with friends.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
IMHO - everyone thinks their car is the best of the breed. 993 is better than a 964 is better than a Carrera better than an SC, etc. The real truth is that in time, any limited production racing Porsche is going to be worth money. It's not hard to know someone how had a 550, early 911S, 356 Speedster, etc. and sold it for $2,500 back in the day becuase it was a crappy old car.

Horses for courses and their is an *** for every seat. You just have to market it right and find the person.
As per my post above, I agree with this comment based on history/value pattern of old Porsche race cars. The market indeed seems soft right now; and just like the old P race cars, there was a point in time, in which it took some leap of faith to buy and own one of these.

Last edited by mclaudio; 11-28-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
The market indeed seems soft right now; and just like the old P race cars, there was a point in time, in which it took some leap of faith to buy and own one of these.
Absolutely. I remember seeing a factory Ferrari Daytona racecar in R&T in the late '70's for $13K, the ad ran for several months. I believe the eventual owner converted back to road use (now it's back to racecar spec)
Prior to the advent of vintage racing, racecars were just for static display which really limits them to a very few collectors. Now at least there is a venue for these things to be enjoyed. I notice Joe M's Firehawk another interesting factory racer, is still not sold after several mos.

Just be glad you are not selling a formula car! Go faster than a cup car for the price of cup transmission!

Quick Reply: FS '92 Cup car