Sponsored by:

FS '92 Cup car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Mark,

Oh yea this is how it always starts, just some simple questions...and ends up with another racecar sitting in the garage....

I love these cars though....

Jim
Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LPM911
I believe you are thinking of the USA Carrera Cup.

http://www.carreracupusa.org/
Yes, that is what I was thinking.
Charlie
Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump.

Still available. Come on guys?? Is it the price? The type of car? What is it????? The car generates interest, A LOT OF INTEREST, but the interest does not transform into actions.

FAP
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The voice of experience says, 'the race car market is VERY soft'. I've had two great Porsche vintage race cars on the market for over a year, priced aggressively, with a well known dealer.... no bites.

The dealers theory is that there is little or no new money coming into the sport. Guys that have been in it for awhile have multiple cars, can't sell the cars they want to move and therefore aren't buying. In other words, the market is locked up. (political comments withheld)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

We can site all kinds of reasons - no new buyers, wrong time of year, bad economy, wrong type of car - but at the end of the day the value of any car is what someone is willing to pay for it. Sweet car but bear in mind that you can buy Cup cars that are 10 years newer and faster for less money. GLWS.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
(political comments withheld)
Thank you.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
We can site all kinds of reasons - no new buyers, wrong time of year, bad economy, wrong type of car - but at the end of the day the value of any car is what someone is willing to pay for it. Sweet car but bear in mind that you can buy Cup cars that are 10 years newer and faster for less money. GLWS.
The differences are pretty straightforward, with a Wagonpass car you are buying a bit of history. The GTC-1 class has all but disappeared in PCA Club racing but it's a part of Porsche racing history.. 996 Cups are great cars but a dime a dozen.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

The 6/7 cup is not in the same league. Yea it's faster and can be had cheaper but they are mass produced by comparison to the 964 cup. Unlike a 6/7 that could be had by any club racer, the early cups were only produced for teams that were running the series.

These have been great club racers but as many who have run them are finding they are getting a little too precious to bang around W2W on the weekends. So they are in that "tweener" state that they are fun cars on the track but most have racing provenance and will shortly be relegated to collectors, museums and drug out every few years for rennsport reunion XXX....
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

All valid points. Just saying if the car is getting lots of interest but no bids it's likely price. You can always wait for the "right" buyer to come along but in my experience having sold multiple cars including one in the past month, price (aka perception of value) moves cars.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried to access the European market. I think the demand is higher over there.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Have you tried to access the European market. I think the demand is higher over there.
Yes. A couple of leads have come from there, but as many others, did not materialize.

FAP
Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
The 6/7 cup is not in the same league. Yea it's faster and can be had cheaper but they are mass produced by comparison to the 964 cup. Unlike a 6/7 that could be had by any club racer, the early cups were only produced for teams that were running the series.

These have been great club racers but as many who have run them are finding they are getting a little too precious to bang around W2W on the weekends. So they are in that "tweener" state that they are fun cars on the track but most have racing provenance and will shortly be relegated to collectors, museums and drug out every few years for rennsport reunion XXX....
This is basically what has happened to my 964 Cup. I've tracked it once in the last 3.5 years. They are awesome machines. I will note that there was no special recognition for the 964 Cup at the Rennsport event last year at Laguna or else I probably would have hauled mine across country to it. So I think you nailed the state of these cars!

I now also own a "dime a dozen" 6 Cup (though I like to think the provenance of mine makes it a little special). Faster, but not necessarily "better". You'll note I haven't changed my avatar...
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

more random feedback from the peanut gallery...

It's really cool to have a car with European race history and rarity, and eventually the 964 will be more valuable, if not already.

But if you are a racer, there is no comparison to the thrill and speed of a GT3 cup - it's a racetrack-only car, while the 964 is more like a street car- quite rubbery, soft, and tame in comparison. A GT3 cup can be set up fairly soft with settings for a novice driver, but it can also be set up on knife edge for a pro racer to get the last 10th of a second.

Neither are cheap to race but the brakes, clutch, and axles on the GT3 cup will cost a lot more to maintain, also uses more fuel...
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
This is basically what has happened to my 964 Cup. I've tracked it once in the last 3.5 years. They are awesome machines.
I think eventually these early Cup cars will absolutely hit the hockey stick appreciation curve in a way the water-cooled cars won't. There are more Porsche collectors on the planet than any other marque, and eventually one of these will be de rigueur for the 'complete' racecar anthology. They are genuinely low-production and now a significant link in Porsche racing history, leading as they did to the hugely successful customer car program that is the Cup series today.

This has most of the attributes of high collectibility:
-impact when new
-historical relevance, significance (i have plenty of period videos, minichamp minitures, articles and literature on mine)
-technological interest (handbuilt factory mods)
-a venue to 'use' it (vintage racing)
-rarity

The big negative relative to the 'Sports Car Market' crowd (and by the way, the cup cars don't even show up in their price guide yet): not street legal.

I think the 993 version is even more desirable since production numbers were lower, racer-specific content was higher, and it's the last air-cooled car. Which is why I bought one instead of the 964...
Nevertheless i predict we will live to see these hit $200K restored at collector auctions within 10-15 years. Meanwhile you get to sample a legitimate milestone car on track days and selective races (I'm thinking vintage not PCA) Pretty good deal.

I don't know this car but this is consistent with asking prices when I was shopping three years ago so this looks a lot like the bottom of the market to me, wish I had the space/budget
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more from peanut gallery:

if I was selling the car, I would clean it up and post 10 really good picutes of it (exterior all sides, interior, engine compartment, frunk, w-pass, etc.)

its the pics that sell penthouse, not the letters

It looks to be a great car and GLWS... I wish I could take it down.

Quick Reply: FS '92 Cup car