Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time at the Glen - Comments Welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice going there Frank and you've gotten good advice already.

One sort of odd thing that i noticed from your video when listening...

It seems you press in clutch just a tad too early when upshifting.
You can hear the refs jump up a bit before they go down which happens when/if you press the clutch too early.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Mental Junkyard
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bunch of in-car video from ITC Caymans at the Glen, and I might even have a little with data with a pro driver behind the wheel. If you're interested in seeing any of it, let me know, and I'll post it
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
in a 'street' car with no cup grade aero be very careful in turn 3 when you'll start trying to do entire esses section flat out, do not try to repeat what that 9 cup video above shows going relatively early into turn 3 'wrapping' left side on full throttle as your car will start sliding to the right there and you should not try to lift there when it does it,so, it requires a lof of finesse to feel that edge and feel how much slide to allow. try to wrap corner 2 a bit longer first staying to right side well until white/red stripes end and then try to reduce a distance into turn 3 but very gradually to the level of your personal comfort of how close you want to allow a wall on the right side to your car. upshift into 5th when you`re next to that wall.

also, be smart, see what speed you do there and what your chances are to walk out of there if you will make a mistake to meet with that wall.

also note in that video how driver prefers not to have left side wheels on any concrete in any turns except last one, i ended up driving same exact way. any car with big wing and proper front splitter would be able to do considerably better there, but if you have almost none or no aero at all - adjust all transitions to 'fast in' very gradually with N1 priority to be safe.
Paul, I am sorry, but I don't agree with this. T1 to the bus stop is very much about car balance. An early soft entry can be very stable, much more than a late hard wheel at the top of T3. As far as curbing if you don't hear the gators on the inside of T1 then you missed the apex by a bit. It happens when your pushing entry.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,175 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
As far as curbing if you don't hear the gators on the inside of T1 then you missed the apex by a bit. It happens when your pushing entry.
^^THIS^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

if you don't hear the gators on the inside of T1 then you missed the apex by a bit.
I see more cars avoid these......get right the **** down in there and come out on the outside curb. T1 is the key to a good lap on this track. Plus, T1 has very gentle curbing compared to most others on this track i.e. entry to the Bus Stop (brutal) and T11....

Gary
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Turn 1 - get in and stay in a for a bit (thank you Dave, confirmed by Peter).
Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Flat out up inthe esses and early turn 3 works well for me, if you do it late then you upsetting car going fast over crest
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul, I am sorry, but I don't agree with this. T1 to the bus stop is very much about car balance. An early soft entry can be very stable, much more than a late hard wheel at the top of T3. As far as curbing if you don't hear the gators on the inside of T1 then you missed the apex by a bit. It happens when your pushing entry.
well, a balance of a light 2600lbs car with cup wing and 3200lbs street car with no wing is a bit different and it is indeed should be done as early as possible in T3 instead of late hard correction and when you do it earlier and find out your car does not have enough traction so it slides out - one should be ready for it. or you got to lift a bit after t2 when you do steering input to turn car a bit into t3 but then you will lose a quite good bit of speed at the top of the hill.

it all requires quite a bit of practice naturally, nothing to argue about there. as well as properly executed T1 is required as well, all i was was talking about to Frank was to be careful on top of the hill there if he decides to copy that cup car line from posted video.

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-23-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:55 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul,

One of my biggest concerns on these forums is the amount of advice that is tossed out there given by drivers that have far less experience than you would expect. ( I have no idea how many years or hundreds of laps you have run at WG). I think the intentions are all good, but at times the advice leads off in the wrong direction. I have seen countless examples of late entry from the suspension improperly loaded at the top of T3 that leads to flashing lights up the catch fence line. Parts are scattered a good 200 yds up the back straight. The Glen is much like VIR and Summit Point. The track has a rhythm to the esses and you must pay attention to the car balance first and worry less about the track position. Early/gentle turn in on T3 is typically fast and provides the largest radius as you loose camber at the top. Trouble follows when you fight to hard to stay right and do not allow the suspension to be neutral before turning back left. The tail wag you are experiencing can also be from the cross wind that hits there at times or just bad balancing of the car. Cup car or not, the line is still pretty much the same. Faster cars are just faster with higher grip, but a smaller window for error. BTW, I base my understanding of the Glen on driving/racing there over the past 12 years so I am sure there is better advice out there from some of the more seasoned racers. Peter may have some better explanation since he deals with this daily while teaching the uphill at VIR.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

^^^^^
What Bob said...

Quick Reply: First Time at the Glen - Comments Welcome!