Sponsored by:

Green Group Tire Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Green Group Tire Advice

I have now taken part in three DE events, each two days. Two events at NHMS and one at Lime Rock. I intend to go to Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, NHMS and possibly Mt. Tremblant next season. This year i ran my street tires (Hankook Ventus V12) on the track and I didnt think they were 'bad'. They gripped well enough for me this year but they did seem to fade towards the last few laps.

I bought a set of hollow spokes for my car (they are in great shape so while they may be better for teh track, they are going to be my street wheel/tire combo now). I will continue to run the Hankooks on the street, I really have no complaints.

I plan on using the stock 18" twists for the track since they are already beat up a bit. My car is a 96 C4S and aside from Bilstein HDs and HR springs the car is pretty stock. I added a 3 pt brace to the front, more out of concern that excessive wear from flexion would eventually damage the car than anything else. The stock tire size is 285/30/18 rear and 225/40/18 front.

I am hoping to be promoted to Yellow group early next year. I am not sure if that changes what I am able to use for tires, I think there is a restriction on green group. Does anyone have recomendations for track tires? High Performance street or more race purpose tires? Particular brands?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with a high performance street tire. You don't want to start thinking about R compound tires at this stage.

Maybe consider Michelin Pilot Sport AS or Bridgestone Potenza S-02.

Last edited by Brian A.; 10-17-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:05 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian A.
Go with a high performance street tire. You don't want to start thinking about R compound tires at this stage.
+1
Old 10-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Dunlop Direzza Star Tracs are a great all-around tire, I agree to stay away from R-Comps at this point.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian A.
Plus they're cheaper, last longer, can be used if the track is wet, and they make lots of noise to tell you what's going on
Old 10-17-2012, 02:31 PM
dsrufer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JHG: One of the reasons for staying with street tires for another DE season is that they allow you to feel the movement of the car at slower speeds. R compound tires will stick, stick, stick and let loose all at once when pushed past their point of sticking. Street tires will announce much sooner that they are getting near their edge. This should let you feel your car's movements sooner with more time to react. I hope it's a great 2013 DE season for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dsrufer
JHG: One of the reasons for staying with street tires for another DE season is that they allow you to feel the movement of the car at slower speeds. R compound tires will stick, stick, stick and let loose all at once when pushed past their point of sticking. Street tires will announce much sooner that they are getting near their edge. This should let you feel your car's movements sooner with more time to react. I hope it's a great 2013 DE season for you.
I still need this for sure! Thank you all for the advice, now looking for a set of street tires for the track.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They have tons of grip for a street tire and are very good in the rain. I also hear good things about the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08. BTW it was nice to meet you yesterday at NHMS.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I've had great luck with Bridgestone RE-11's. Long lasting, great dry grip, decent wet performance, good feedback. And, not too noisy if used as a street tire.

Some friends have had great comments on other extreme performance summer tires like the Hankook Ventus R-S3 and the Yokohama AD08.

You can enter your tire sizes into the Tire Rack site and see what Extreme Performance Summer tires are available in your size and budget. The Max Performance tires are almost as good.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Another vote for the AD08s. I drove them on my 4S on the track for about a year and they are VERY sticky while lasting amazingly long.

However, even the Sumis III are a very decent tire for less money. I know advanded drivers using them on the track and they are a great bang for the buck.

Not sure if the RS-3 come in a proper size for your car but a track buddy put them on his 997 Turbo and really liked them.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Hey Jim - I didn't realize this was you until last night! Nice driving....

I agree with everyone on the street tires. You'll learn a lot more being on them for a year or two. Street tires are going to let you find the limits easier, talk to you, and let you learn a lot more.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

A lot of my track buddies run Dunlop Star Specs ... i used them for two seasons before i switched over to "R" compounds ...
You will learn the limits of your car much faster and in a safer manner with street tires rather than "R" compounds,although i now use a new set of Dunlops as rain tires,something at wich they excel !

Got bitten by the DE bug ???
Enjoy,it only gets better

Cheers !
Phil
Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 PM
TomGT3
Racer

In NCR/NER you are restricted until you move to Blue.

Yoko AD-08 are a great street tire for DE. They feel almost as good as the NT-01s that I switched to.
Tire sizes are what you are looking for. Cost is higher than most (about $1200).

Read the car and driver autocross tire reviews below and take what you can from it.

Their dry performance is incredible for a street tire. The autocross article correlated much of what
I have read/seen/talked about with other drivers at autocross. I believe it is a much better DE tire than it is a autocross tire. I went through 2 sets at DE and autocross. The only down side was as I got better and
changed my alignment to more track than street, I began to wear them down fast. That is when the NT01
made more sense.

Many friends and I at DEs in the yellow/blue have just gone through what you are.
The Super Sport is the favorite all around and the AD-08 is for best dry DE.
Only down side is the cost.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

If you are just using them at the track, you will have a great year in yellow with them.

Last edited by TomGT3; 10-18-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Dunlop Direzza Star Tracs are a great all-around tire, I agree to stay away from R-Comps at this point.
Make that +3

Quick Reply: Green Group Tire Advice