Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Why?

Why do some people belittle or mock safety equipment?

I have been thinking more about this since Dave's unfortunate incident.

I was recently at Barber for the first time. Now, I am not new to the track having over 80 events over the last 8 years (as well as being a BMW and PCA Instructor), but this was my first time at Barber.

Since I was my first time at Barber, I arranged through the event organizer (no names, please) to take a ride in a Spec Miata with a local hot shoe, just to see the best line.

I trot down to pit lane in my Sparco suit with HANS in hand ready to take a ride and the first thing this dick who was going to drive me around the track (dressed in shorts and a t-shirt) says as I am securing myself in his 5-point belts is, "Oooh, look at the race car driver all decked out in his fancy suit with all the sponsor patches [the SFI rating patch and a Sparco factory applied logo]."

Shut the front door. I wanted to bop this idiot in the nose - he was not hurting for $ despite driving a Spec Miata as he had it all decked out but, for the less than the cost of a new set of tires, he had obviously not thought that personal safety like a firesuit or a HANS was a priority. Asshat.

Why do some people say things like that? I don't picture myself as any kind of race car driver and nobody is knocking on my door to pay for my ride, but I do value safety.

Marc
Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

2 questions...Do you have a wife and kids? Does he have a wife and kids?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

As the sheriff said in Cool Hand Luke, "some men you just can't reach..."
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Marc,

I understand and as life marches forward safety becomes more of a priority. I have a suit and typically wear it too, but sometimes feel a little strange as I am car from one of the fastest guys out there. My perspective is that fire
, equipment failure, oil on the track, etc can happen in DE just like a club race and just because I'm at 130 vs 140 I'm still going to want the safety equipment.

Wear and use what you feel comfortable and let Darwin weed ou the 'asshats'.

Skip
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

You are right to think/feel the way you do... especially as an instructor stepping into a car as a passenger with a driver who has immediately shown poor judgement. Scary. He was/is an asshat.

I'm of the opinion that rules regarding safety equipment EVEN for DE should be much more comprehensive and strict. I'm pleasantly surprised that we don't hear of more issues.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Why do some people belittle or mock safety equipment?
Hey Marc

Tell him you are a doctor (if I am not mistaken when I met you a couple of years ago you did tell me you were a medical doctor?) and being a doctor you respect and acknowledge how fragile the human body can be under certain circumstances. If that does not work show him a picture of Niki Lauda's ear and tell him that you prefer to wear a protective suit because you do not wish to risk the possibility of 3rd degree burns to any part of your body and then show him a picture of Dale Earnhardt and tell him that is why you wear a HANS device when possible. If that does not work, just bop the dweeb in the nose for being such a douchebag.

I am not all that current right now, but as a licensed skydiver with jump numbers into the thousands and someone who has BASE jumped off all four object types, I know for a fact that complacency kills. I have dead friends.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I think its all basically about being able to think a situation through. We, as humans, and to some additional extent, we, as Americans are somewhat short sighted... He may just not be a guy that thinks things through, and you are.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

u can never have enough safety.
the car, the track, the environment do not know if you are fast or slow... or if you are DE, sunday drive, or racing for Le Mans.....

once you roll your car and hit a few wall, and see smoke all over your cockpit, you KNOW.....
i used to laugh....
well..... i have done all of the three above scenarios... i dont laugh anymore....
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

IMHO its simple; ignorance. Not bravado.

I always wear my full safety gear the same way I always wear my seat belt when I drive and my helmet, long pants, boots and gloves when I ride my motorcycle. Same reason why I improved on my kids car seats, etc.

I don't want to look back and say "I should have....".
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, you get all types. My biggest gripe is 400whp cars with no safety gear. I had the CI at a recent event ask me to ride with a solo driver in a new Carrera S that already had power mods and some GT3 suspension upgrades, but stock harnesses. The driver was only interested in getting promoted and dropping his lap times 2 secs a lap. Needless to say the car was all over the place (driver and car ability) and not properly setup. I drove the car for 2 laps to understand the unbalance, but had no interest in risking my life any longer in the right seat. I have to remind myself that you do not have to get in a car you feel is not safe on a race track.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

You are both on equal footing right up until the wreck....
Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to show him the video of my very violent crash at Watkins Glen some years ago and how I walked away without a scratch! Thank you HANS, Sparco, Schroth, Bell and Porsche!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After some serious wrecks and a couple fires, I wear my stuff all of the time now and I just don't giive a flying f**k what anybody thinks. And if they make a stupid comment I won't be polite in my response. I have given up on suffering foolish comments at the track or talking politics.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 AM
jittsl
Racer

We all know the potential upside of wearing the latest and greatest safety gear. The day that someone comes up with an argument for not wearing all of it (that does not come down to "cool factor" or the even more ridiculous "if you don't wear it you'll drive slower") I'll reconsider my position. Till then I'll be putting on all the cumbersome, boring and uncool stuff that common sense dictates.

As to the ****head who mocked your choices, I would have immediately doubted whether I wanted to do the ride that badly. If safety isn't in his consideration set when it comes to attire then it probably isn't part of his driving either.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM
schao
Intermediate

Default Clueless or Careless

A few questions: Was he trying to be humorous? How did you respond? Did he drive at 10/10th or much lower pace? How much insight did he give on Barber?

If the Spec Miata is his regular track tool, I'd be shocked if he doesn't have adequate driver safety equipment too. If he drove at 10/10ths without his safety equipment, then he is clueless. If he drove at much lower pace, than he was being careless. At the outset, I would have given him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he wanted to be humorous and engage in some "banter". I would have then asked what driver equipment he typically uses. If none then I'd wait to see how he drove on track before concluding whether the guy is clueless or careless. In either case, use all your driver safety gear all the time!

Sherman
Stohr WF-1
Cayman S
MINI GP
F-250

Quick Reply: Why?