Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is much you can do in a street car.

When I got to the intermediate run group I started shopping for a race car with a full cage and all the safety equipment. They are just plain safer when you are pushing closer to the limit on a more regular basis. Airbags help a bit but street cars are just not designed to protect you from the kinds of crashes that can happen on track.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
well, a containment seat is a given for a race car, i would put one in if i had one. mine is still mostly a street car, it will not work out.
what about a rage r3 system?
its what I wear. only option for most right seats....
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
only option for most right seats....
what do you mean by 'most right seats'? could you pls tell more?
i saw one pretty close but never tried it on. does it require to replace backrest of the seat with a special insert?

as of dedicated race car comment - it is a best way to go, but, it requires much more than just a car. for now i have to use what i got and it is plenty enough.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
...only option for most right seats....
I think he means it is the only option if you are sitting in the right-side (passenger) seat of a car instructng as most student cars do not have a harness required for a HANS to be an option.

Marc
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Marc

Was he at 5/10 just showing you the line?

Also, if you haven't heard, wearing a HANS device in a car with no roll over protection, i.e. roll bar or cage, can be hazardous to your health. The HANS and presumably 5 or 6 pt. harness is meant to keep you up right. If you're involved in a roll over and the roof collapses on you, that's not where you want our head and neck to be. You may actually be saver in a 3 pt belt without the HANS where your upper torso can flex down and to the sides.

The aforementioned refers to YOU being an instructor in the right seat. The older I get the more I think it's crazy getting into a high powered car with someone I've never met before and going around a track at triple digits. You can have the best safety equipment in the world, the fact of the matter is that instruction of others in the same car is "CRAZY"!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 PM
schao
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pete
Marc
Also, if you haven't heard, wearing a HANS device in a car with no roll over protection, i.e. roll bar or cage, can be hazardous to your health.

The older I get the more I think it's crazy getting into a high powered car with someone I've never met before and going around a track at triple digits. You can have the best safety equipment in the world, the fact of the matter is that instruction of others in the same car is "CRAZY"!!!!
+1!!!!

Sherman
Stohr WF-1
Cayman S
MINI GP
F-250
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Was he at 5/10 just showing you the line?
He spent more time showing off drifting than actually droving. It was a waste of time from a good line point of view. Does not matter though - a crash and fire at 75 mph hurts as much as a crash and fire at 150 mph without the right safety gear.

Also, if you haven't heard, wearing a HANS device in a car with no roll over protection....blah, blah, blah
Thanks for the tip.

Spec Miata. Full cage. Fixed-back seats. 5-point harnesses (mentioned in my first post).

The aforementioned refers to YOU being an instructor in the right seat....yada, yada, yada

Umm...why exactly am I forced to defend myself

1. I was not instructing
2. I was not in a high-powered car (what part of Miata is high powered?)
3. The safety equipment in his car was adequate or I would not have gotten in.
4. While his driving was not instructive, it also was not dangerous.
5. He was an instructor at this track with thousands of laps hand-picked by the event organizer to show me the line not just some random green student who thinks he is the next Mario in a highly modded turbo

My point was about an attitude towards personal safety gear like suits and HANS -- did you actually read my first post?

Marc
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've become pretty vigilant about wearing my safety stuff and it paid off at the Glen. I made it through extremely well while the car did not.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

God bless Dave
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
As I mentioned in the other thread, I've become pretty vigilant about wearing my safety stuff and it paid off at the Glen. I made it through extremely well while the car did not.
Dave, i am very glad you walked out from this mess unhurt, i just read it a day ago. you will build new better car but no one can build a new neck, that is for sure.
i do wear my hans too all the time now, it is indeed an odd sport to get messed up by somebody else`s spill, but what can we do? it is what it is i guess.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 PM
gomez1
Racer

I would have gotten out of the car right there....obviously with an attitude towards safety such as his, he's not really someone I'd be riding around a track with. What a tool.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM
gomez1
Racer

Actually I think ANYONE in a CAR on a RACE TRACK needs to have a full fire suit, gloves, hans and a Helmet at the very minimum. Period. End of discussion.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
He spent more time showing off drifting than actually droving. It was a waste of time from a good line point of view. Does not matter though - a crash and fire at 75 mph hurts as much as a crash and fire at 150 mph without the right safety gear.

Thanks for the tip.

Spec Miata. Full cage. Fixed-back seats. 5-point harnesses (mentioned in my first post).

Umm...why exactly am I forced to defend myself

1. I was not instructing
2. I was not in a high-powered car (what part of Miata is high powered?)
3. The safety equipment in his car was adequate or I would not have gotten in.
4. While his driving was not instructive, it also was not dangerous.
5. He was an instructor at this track with thousands of laps hand-picked by the event organizer to show me the line not just some random green student who thinks he is the next Mario in a highly modded turbo

My point was about an attitude towards personal safety gear like suits and HANS -- did you actually read my first post?

Marc
Perhaps decaf would suit you better. My post was not directed toward you personally or directly but more of a point of reference so everything you just wrote in this diatribe was a waste of your time and I didn't even both to read it all as you completly missed the point.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Perhaps decaf would suit you better.
Ha! Decaf is for wimps.

Marc...The aforementioned refers to YOU being an instructor in the right seat...
Sorry, the message addressed to me by name that included a reply to one of my previous posts with YOU in all capitals threw me off and made me think that perhaps some of your comments were directed at me. Apparently my bad.

Marc
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coochas
And I am very glad you had the cojones to discuss your accident here so could all be reminded about safety issues.

Marc

Quick Reply: Why?