Sponsored by:

Hallett, the day after...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hallett, the day after...

Hopefully folks will chime in; great weekend with a ****load of Boxters and Sp996s, Cups and one little red rookie car.

The E stock guys will have stories to tell also.

We made it through our first race in decent style, started towards the rear as I pulled off during quali thinking the rain would get worse.

Got past all of the 996s and only allowed one car by - a 6 Cup who had been in my mirrors from git-go. Got the PCA GT4S lap record at :22.407 and kept the car off the grass.

Thanks to all who said hi, and double thanks to the front of the TX Sp996 contingency, they know why - as they define gentleman racers and what this is all about.

Yes, racing is everything ya'll said it would be and more. The crack pipe is lit and needs fuel already.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a blast of a weekend. Car ran great and I drove it back on the trailer, which is always a great end to a race weekend. Weather was even cooler than anticipated. good for power, but a little uncomfortable.

Started and finished all races, including the Practice Starts. Its easy to be tempted to sit out the practice starts and even the "non points races" nowadays.

Racing was generally very courteous, with racing room given, with but a few exceptions. I think I actually had a lap record for about a 1ms, before Buckley put an end to that! Love racing with Jim, but I would rather see more of the front end of his car from my rear view mirror, instead of his rear end disappearing into the distance. One day it may be so. All I can do is try.

Last edited by samluke; 10-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:35 PM
coinboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=KaiB;9901910]double thanks to the front of the TX Sp996 contingency, they know why - as they define gentleman racers and what this is all about.

KaiB,
That was me, I enjoyed driving near you, you did well for your first outing! I was looking out for you on the starts, no need to rub off any of that pretty red paint. Always glad to give room for a clean pass to someone not in my class. Very good times you laid down as well. Jeff Hood in the other Red GT car was flying as well.

All 7 of the SP996's had a blast as well. My car was on rails Sunday morning and I turned a 1:22.9 (My best lap ever at Hallett).
Looking forward to MSR at the end of the month, hope you can make it. I'll stop by and say hi.

Bryan Bell
"204"
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Right now, CoinBoy is the new SP996 Sheriff. We'll see how long that lasts, but probably for the rest of this year. Hate to admit it, but Bryan can pedal the car pretty well, and without doubt is a class act on the track. Off track... well... ;-)

Kai, it was great to see you this weekend, along with all the other fellow rennlisters.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Bryan laid down the new Hallett PCA lap record, one that just might stand for quite a while.

Cheers!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Bryan laid down the new Hallett PCA lap record, one that just might stand for a year.

Cheers!!!
Fixed it for you.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM
coinboy
Racer

Here, take a ride around Hallett in a SPEC 996:
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 PM
coinboy
Racer

KaiB, I have some good video of you driving. Give me a little bit and I will work some of it together and post it here.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Bryan.

I was learning how to edit and make videos just now and thought I'd do a cute one of the red car passing 7 Spec996s...glad I didn't. I should build one...these are capable cars.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coinboy
Here, take a ride around Hallett in a SPEC 996:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cek8cjIu_Lk
Great video, Bryan. Thanks.

OT, but which video camera are you using? (I recently started a video thread and I'm trying to sort some things out.) The video quality inside the car is fantastic but it's difficult to see the track with that amount of sunlight.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to turn this into a video thread.

Thanks a lot-
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

The chilly weather not withstanding it was a great weekend with little carnage. The Boxster bunch started with 23 and finished with 23 cars running. I guess no one wanted a car that would have to be towed to the main straight for the cool photo op! Thanks to that group for kickin' my *** all the way back to Denver. I knew when I showed up Friday afternoon and saw 20 of the group gridded for the test and tune that I was already behind the power curve. Anyway, I vote that Hallett be run as a 3-day like TWS. Saturday morning we had a driver's meeting at 7:30. When I got out of the car after Sprint One it was 6:35 PM. Sunday afternoon at the awards I was saying to folks, "sorry we didn't have much time to visit". Everyone loves Hallett, most of you don't have to come far for it, so let's spread it out over 3 days. What's everyone think?

Mike Quigley
SpecBox #23
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Thoughtless of me to not thank the great job the Cimarron Region folks did putting on the event. My steak was perfectly done, and things ran on time both days. The National Boys, Bob Jones, Jerry Blazek, and John Rickard were great, the pit and grid folks were stellar, but anyone who was there knows how tough it was to work corners this weekend. Those good folks had the Visqueen up on their stations and still froze their butts off in the not inconsiderable breeze that blew all day on Saturday. Track temp on Sunday morning was 37 degrees but nobody missed a beat! Connie Stephens and her gang at the track are top notch. Hallett is definitely the little track that could!!

Mike Quigley
SpecBox #23
Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM
jittsl
Racer

Could not have had a better weekend. With 23 SpecBoxers in the group every time I hit the track there was an inches-apart ****fight to enjoy. Got to love it. Hope a lot of you are going to make it to Maverick's event in 3 weeks. Thanks to the region, the track and the PCA for a great time. Hope this will be an annual event.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Coco_951
Instructor

I definitely think props are do to the PCA staff and especially Hallett's corner workers! Red sprint race #3 had a bunch of cars off track and flags were well done and didn't impact race outcomes. Many tracks would have thrown full course yellows but the Hallett crew handled it with only locals and kept us racing. The weekend flew by and I wish I had more time to socialize but the racing was good and the weather was crazy but worked in our favor on Sunday! Hallett is a good track with great people and knock your fillings out surface but fun none the less!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM
coinboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Astroman
Great video, Bryan. Thanks.

OT, but which video camera are you using? (I recently started a video thread and I'm trying to sort some things out.) The video quality inside the car is fantastic but it's difficult to see the track with that amount of sunlight.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to turn this into a video thread.

Thanks a lot-
Hey Man,

I run a Gopro HD tied to my Traqmate. It is a great camera what you are seeing is it is tuning to the light level in the car more than outside with the sun so low in the sky that morning. The camera needs to be closer to the window and it would tune to the outside light level and look great. I need to mount it closer. Look at this short video at TWS this year with the same camera mounted to the roof:

Quick Reply: Hallett, the day after...