Sponsored by:

Radical RS3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Radical RS3?

I have the possibility of picking up a 2003RS3. Mid times on components nice condition for a real fair price. I have a pretty fair understanding of the costs of running a 911, the cup, spec 944 and specboxster. I have no delusions that any racecar is cheap, but for those of you that have run them what do you think of running costs and maintenance needs? Where do you see it falling in the spectrum of pcars above? Anything to look out for?

This would probably be a TT/limited race car (I quit running shifter karts due to the safety issues, this on the track with full fendered cars, not so sure...)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 AM
TM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your could check http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=83 there's plenty of Guys racing Radicals
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought one before they were ever delivered and had first or second delivered in the US. I did setup on mine and quite a few others and advised a lot of the early guys in CA on maintenance, etc - most had no experience with race cars or setup. (I also scored the first national SCCA win in an SR3). I know quite a bit about these cars.

Overall maintenance and costs are VERY low. Ignoring the engine, for the moment, it will cost far less to run than the P cars. Brakes last forever due to low weight and limited need to use them. You do oil changes every couple of weekends and final drive oil changes from time to time. If you are not going for ultimate lap times, tires last many, many heat cycles.

My view of track cars is that you should bleed the brakes a couple of times during each weekend, so you really never end up having to flush the fluid. No need for crazy expensive fluid since the brakes are pretty lightly used. (Bleeding is really to make sure the pedal is solid and to look for any air that would indicate a leak, not so much because the fluid is cooked.)

Now the engine is a variable. If it has the 1300, that is a stock motor from the factory. It is going to go many events without needing a refresh. Since it is motorcycle engined, the trans if integral. You will want to upshift without the clutch. If you LFB and downshift without the clutch, it is likely that you will get more wear on the dogs and need a trans refresh every year or two (tops).

If you have the 1500, then it is a built motor and will go 30-60 hours between refreshes. That will be you greatest expense, as long as you don't crash it.

As far as mixed running with tin-tops...
You need to be careful. The SR-s is strong and heavy for a Sports Racer, but that is still very light vs. a production car. The biggest issue is the the car is so low that production car drivers will usually have their side mirrors adjusted so high that they will never see you making a pass. The flip side is that the speed differential under braking is so great, that you can often make the pass before the production car hits their turn in point and be out of their way.

If you want to race it, check out the groups and competition. The SR-3 is far from competitive in SCCA CSR where it is classed. Their are Radical groups and that would be great racing. However, even in SCCA (especially Regional) while it won't be at the pointy end of the grid with 'real' CSRs, there will be plenty of folks to race with and have fun.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm thinking of the same one
Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Jim - I haven't driven one (always wanted to), but from my observations the biggest issue is with our desert tracks (ie, lack of nice grass run offs) the moment you have what would be a mild off track excursion in the cup it's easily $2-10k worth of carbon fiber undertrays down the tube.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yea probably the same. Clay, yea I think Team AZ has figured out that part the hard way. Mark, thanks for your input, I was mainly concerned about the the TBO on components, kinda like buying a cup with a timed out motor. The purchase is only admission the reL cost it the bar tab. It's a 1300 which is good from a longevity standpoint. The things that make me nervous ar undocumented times on major structural components that may need to be timed out and replaced in order to be safe. These things make time with high g loading in corners at speed, having something let go there is the worst possible scenario and the biggest on my mind.

Having run moto 125shifers this appears as a bigger cousin you had to really check every nut and bolt or things could end in a bad way.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THey are remarkable little cars, and amazing what laptime they can deliver for the cost. You are pretty much on par with a GP3 car (for an SR8) at a fraction of the cost.

That said, I have binned one by putting it in a wall. I was fine, but, the structural integrity of these cars is not confidence inspiring. I vowed never to pilot one again after seeing how close the exhaust manifold came to shearing off a 3bar fuel line 2 feet from my head.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I went out with the guys at Wee-Tune in Quebec two years ago.. They warned me that it was crack and was I sure?

They were right..

Amazing

Quick Reply: Radical RS3?