NASA TT/GTS Setup Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 AM
acdrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA TT/GTS Setup Advice?

Hello all,

New member here hoping to bug you guys for some advice!

I've got an '89 944 Turbo that I just started running as a NASA TTB car after progressing through the HPDE ranks. I hope to continue running in TTB next year and eventually prep it to GTS-3 level, possibly for the 2014 season, but that's a little further beyond what I'm focused on now. As it stands, the car is a little porky and underpowered, but had earlier been prepped as a PCA F class competitor, so I'm not starting with a blank slate.

Anyways, I'm now in the process of developing the car further so that it's a bit more competitive within TTB for next season, while keeping my goal of competing within GTS-3 down the line in mind. Again, it's already been partially prepped, though there are bits that I don't like with the existing setup. Without going too much into detail about what the car has and doesn't have, I figured I would poll you all to see what kind of setups you're running in 1) NASA TT(B?), or 2) NASA GTS-3 in terms of suspension, power, weight, brakes, etc. For those running in TT, where are you using up the bulk of your points? Are you still running stock turbos, or have you done anything that requires a dyno re-class? For those in GTS-3, are you running lower weight and lower power, or are you at the other end of the spectrum? Seems like most of the M3's in the class are running closer to 300 HP range and weigh in accordingly, and run very competitively.

My thoughts for upgrades for next season are as follows:
1) Aero - wing and splitter are definitely on my list, though GoodAero parts run a bit high for what I wanted to spend
2) Brakes - big reds (or other BBK) would help slow the car quicker
3) Tires/wheels - looking to run 18's (Alleggerita HLT?) to accommodate the larger brakes and use my current 17's as rains. Likely have to run 245/265 if I continue to run R1's as I did this season due to points limitations in my TT class.
4) Weight loss - hoping to get down to 2995 w/driver
5) Power - target is to bump up to ~270 in hopes of running a powerful but reliable setup
6) Suspension - currently running Koni's, would like to run something more (quickly) adjustable, but still relatively basic. Ah, and removing the torsion bars would be good, too.

I guess it might help to mention that I'm running in the Midwest/Great Lakes region to give you an idea of the fields I'd be running with and the tracks within our circuit. Speaking of which, do any of you have data that you'd mind sharing? I started datalogging this past season, which has been greatly beneficial, but I haven't really found anyone running a comparable setup to compare against.

Looking forward to getting some good feedback from you guys!

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NASA GTS 3 in the Great Lakes is very competitive with historically big fields.

The 951 is a great handling platform but it takes a lot of work. M3's are easier to build and also handle very well (I have both race cars). First thing to do is install an accusump or dry sump system. I now run an LS6 after blowing up two 951 motors racing successfully in GTS2 and GTS3 the last 4 years. If you send me an e mail, I would be happy to share information.

Some of the basics of a fast setup:

1. 285/30/18 square set up - I use Allegerita's and Enkei NT02's
2. Aero package is mandatory in the Great Lakes/Midwest if you want to be competitive - I use the Good Aero wing, I make and sell the splitter that Good Aero sells (you must combine front aero with the wing).
3. Brakes - I effectively run the 951 S brakes with 14" slotted rotors. Big reds are not necessary.
4. Stock turbo is going to be a little slow to spool up but the closer to stock you run the safer the engine is. Lots of trick parts will lead to lots of bad running issues.
5. A good cage is important to safety and to increasing the stiffness of an already outstanding chassis.

Set up -
3.2 degrees negative camber front and 2.3 rear negative camber
Kokeln rear suspension carrier - torsion delete
Moton club sport adjustable shocks
2780 pounds with driver and full cool suit.
Hawk DTC 70's front DTC 60's rear
Tilton bias adjuster
1mm toe in front, 1 mm toe in rear

I have a lot of set up notes from GTS. Scott Good has great insight into these platforms.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree M3 is a better platform for GTS3, but when you already have a car it's hard to change in the middle. Other big issue is running TTB while changing to a competitive GTS3 car. The points for TTB will be hard to meet as you add performance to the GTS car. You may end up in TTS and be a bit under powered etc. I was not aware that GTS will allow mixing engine marques in non GTSU cars especially if it's not even from another German touring car.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah bob... rules must have changed as my last read of the gts rules two or three years ago required that engine and chassis be of the same marquee.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM
magnetic1
Racer

"Swapping engines between different chassis made by the same manufacturer is allowed, but
swapping engines of a marque different than the chassis manufacturer is specifically not allowed."

The GTS3 M3s are all around 275-285 rwhp with the E46 M3s being heavier so easier to run a tad more power.

Also, if youre close, might be worthwhile to run up to Mid Ohio this week for Nationals to check out cars and to pick people's brains and to do some nice spctating
Old 09-03-2012, 10:32 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wong!! I saw some of your results. Looks like you and Josh are battling. Good luck at nationals it looks like you have the car sorted nicely now.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the LS6 I was forced to move to ST2 and out of GTS.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 PM
acdrey
Intermediate

All,

Thanks for the replies.

Bob, you definitely have a point about a TTB car not being competitive in GTS. My plan is to upgrade the car as much as possible while keeping within TTB points limits for this coming season, and run exclusively in TTB. Then, after the 2013 season ends, I'll take the winter to upgrade the car further for the 2014 season, which I plan to run exclusively in GTS-3. So, I do fully understand that a TTB car would not double well as a GTS-3 car, and vice-versa.

Disasterman, I'll PM you about setup notes. Unfortunately, with my planned upgrades, I don't have enough points to run Motons - I can only run 2-way adj coilovers. Re-checking my numbers, looks like I will stick with the Turbo S brakes to allow for points in other places. What did you run before Motons?

I've been trying to read up on Intrax 1K2 and KW CS coilovers - any experience with these? I'm trying to pick out a user-friendly, easily adjustable coilover, as the Konis I have now are a PITA to adjust (having to pull the rears to adjust them is not so convenient), so I'm looking for a better solution. This season was the first time I ran at a few of the Midwest tracks, so running at some of the rougher tracks and having the car literally skip around because the dampers were set too stiff and not being able to adjust without missing sessions was not so great.

Also, WRT aero, I'd like to run the Stevens splitter and raptor wing, but again, prices are just a bit high, and I don't see these parts popping up FS as loose parts. Is anyone else running other configurations with good results?

Thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply: NASA TT/GTS Setup Advice?