Data is????

Data are.

Dang engineers.....where's yer grammar?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212

Important : DO NOT play with little buttons like DA or camera while driving (other than radio). Not even in the paddock - because even there, especially there, you can hit someone while you or they are not paying attention or worse still hit someone's child. Turn it on when you are stopped. Turn it off when you are stopped. If you forget to turn it on.. Too bad.. Turn it on the next session. Don't even look at anything until you have stopped.
totally true. i was actually checking coolant temperature at that point and that is why screens were changed as engine did not pull right, that is why i went off track before my session ended, but it is absolutely right - eyes should be looking ahead, not into the dash. especially after last session, when you are tired and able to do such a stupid stunt as to forget where damn exit was moved to.

it was the last session of the day, no one else was coming out there so it was probably why my tired brain did not click in properly and did not register what is going on out there as pits were empty and no one was looking even to wave me off and I just went there on complete autopilot, i am not making any exuses here as stupid stuff is a stupid stuff, nothing to add here. 'human error' and thanks god nothing bad happened.

you are 100% right. drive back, then stop, keys out and then press buttons later. will not happen again, that`s for sure.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:07 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts

Data as a whole is a singular made up of data points or objects. Like news is important...

But I'll admit that the first thing I did when you said that was double check myself.. Cuz I are sometimes wrong.

Actually both forms are acceptably used..

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...lural-singular

But I'll accept your tweak because its funny and you are partly correct.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the difference btw. chemists and engineers...

A couple more iterations and close enough.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Instructors at large

John - By the way.. It should be said.... I think its very cool that you did this and had a group of floating instructors set aside to be available for all drivers who wanted help in any run group.

I wish more CI's would do this.

Rock on!!

Originally Posted by John D.
Hi guys!

Sorry for the delayed replies - BUT - I sort of collapsed last night early ..

Anyway - thanks for the complements about the event! We have a wonderful team - and honestly? All the instructors did a terrific job.. My thanks for that! Also, nope - I didn't get too much "drive time" in my car, but spend a while lot of time on the track in other cars!??!

As well - thanks for noting the "Instructor at Large" program! I think it works well for the advanced drivers to be able to continue to tap into those resources as they progress in the solo groups. Again - DE is on-going education - regardless of run group..

For place to stay.. I'm booked into the Day's Inn in Great Barrington, MA. It's up Route 7 a bit, but it's pretty inexpensive and after doing an event, gives me a bit of quiet drive time to think a bit about how the day went and what we might do to improve the program.

Anyway - I look forward to seeing many of you there!! At any of our events - PLEASE come on by and say "Hi", OK??

Best to you - and my thanks again!

John
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

My sincerest thanks..!

It's an idea that Judy (my Asst CI) and I came up with before the season opened.

Since then - the entire DE Team and all the Instructors are responsible for executing it brilliantly!! While it's a lot of work for both the "Instructors at Large" and those Instructors assigned non-solo drivers (who often have to double-up students), we've already seen tremendous benefits and accolades from the advanced solo drivers themselves...

And all that? That's to the credit of the NCR Drivers Education Team along with each/every Instructor - as well as all the students who have taken advantage of what we are trying to do...

So - please - acknowledge them - not so much me...

John
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Where was this DE that UTKpol ran 1:21s but could have run 1:20s and the Black group ran 1:21s but his engine wasn't pulling good so he mixed up entry and exit?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NHMS, Loudon NH
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NHMS

I guess James is faster than me too.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
My sincerest thanks..!

It's an idea that Judy (my Asst CI) and I came up with before the season opened.

Since then - the entire DE Team and all the Instructors are responsible for executing it brilliantly!! While it's a lot of work for both the "Instructors at Large" and those Instructors assigned non-solo drivers (who often have to double-up students), we've already seen tremendous benefits and accolades from the advanced solo drivers themselves...

And all that? That's to the credit of the NCR Drivers Education Team along with each/every Instructor - as well as all the students who have taken advantage of what we are trying to do...

So - please - acknowledge them - not so much me...

John
@John - I already know you're going say I'm a 'suck-up', but I'm going to share this anyway....

This is my 6th DE season, and I recently joined the ranks of the Black RG. I became a solo driver during my 2nd season, but I never stopped driving with instructors.

Like many, I also use an in-car video camera and a DA system; and I analyze the information I get from both. However, I drive a 1988 911 and I learned early on that the real key to becoming 'faster' in that car was to become consistently better at driving it (and that would take some time - and nerve).

Lucky for me, there are a LOT of NCR instructors who know a thing or two about driving an 'older' 911 well. Over the years, I was never shy about asking one of my past instructors to jump in my car, and I did this regularly (every event). It did seem like a bit of an imposition (to me); to ask them to jump out of yellow/green student's car, into mine, and then prepare to run in their own session - but I did it anyway. No instructor ever had an issue with doing it; and they always invited me to ask them again - 'anytime' (which I did).

I think it's great that you have formalized this option for everyone ('Instructor at Large' Program). It will make solo drivers at any level better (and safer); which benefits all of us.

I took advantage of it twice at the Aug 6/7 event. Thanks Tom (Harris). Thanks Doug (McIninch).

~ Philip
Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not faster than you Brian, I just sit in front of a computer all day.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by pojefferson
@John - I already know you're going say I'm a 'suck-up', but I'm going to share this anyway....

This is my 6th DE season, and I recently joined the ranks of the Black RG. I became a solo driver during my 2nd season, but I never stopped driving with instructors.

Like many, I also use an in-car video camera and a DA system; and I analyze the information I get from both. However, I drive a 1988 911 and I learned early on that the real key to becoming 'faster' in that car was to become consistently better at driving it (and that would take some time - and nerve).

Lucky for me, there are a LOT of NCR instructors who know a thing or two about driving an 'older' 911 well. Over the years, I was never shy about asking one of my past instructors to jump in my car, and I did this regularly (every event). It did seem like a bit of an imposition (to me); to ask them to jump out of yellow/green student's car, into mine, and then prepare to run in their own session - but I did it anyway. No instructor ever had an issue with doing it; and they always invited me to ask them again - 'anytime' (which I did).

I think it's great that you have formalized this option for everyone ('Instructor at Large' Program). It will make solo drivers at any level better (and safer); which benefits all of us.

I took advantage of it twice at the Aug 6/7 event. Thanks Tom (Harris). Thanks Doug (McIninch).

~ Philip
Nice to see you here Phillip! Call me if you're golfing in my 'backyard.'

We all suck up to JohnD because of the Rennlist thing but we all make fun of him when his back is turned.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian A.
....I guess James is faster than me too.
Hey Brian..! Take heart, my friend. Everyone is faster than me...??

Originally Posted by pojefferson
@John - I already know you're going say I'm a 'suck-up', but I'm going to share this anyway.... This is my 6th DE season.....
Hey Phillip!!

Honestly? Not at all..! See - you "get it" and understand the program and premise - and I'd say many folks do.. Right back at you - sounding like a suck-up - but not meaning to - when I was thinking about the program, it's folks like yourself, and others who wanted to advance their learning curve - that is what it's all about.. The Instructors? They are an amazing group...

BTW - it's been far too long since I've sat in your right seat.. I know I keep promising, event to event - and I always seem to get sidetracked with something and haven't hooked up for a bit? I apologize.

BTW 2 - I just finished tabulating all the Advanced Student Evaluation this evening.. In just two events - we have nearly 50 Advanced Student Evaluations (including multiple check-out rides). I think it's a great indication as to how well folks like yourself, appreciate all these Instructors do.. For that? Simply..

Thank you....

Originally Posted by Coochas
...We all suck up to JohnD ... but we all make fun of him when his back is turned.

Yep - no truer words were spoken....

Best to ya' Dave!

And my best to all!

John D.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Ski Bum
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advice beats a device all day everyday!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ski Bum from Vermont. Humm...wonder who that could be.

Quick Reply: First DE day yesterday