Sponsored by:

Canadian Border Crossing

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Canadian Border Crossing

Hey Guys:
I am looking for a little help here, please. Been on the phone with Canadian Registry of Imported Vehicle and Canadian Border Service and US Customs. Seem to get conflicting info

Scenario: I am hoping to trailer my car, (+track "stuff"), to Le Circuit Mont Tremblant in late August for a 3 day DE event hosted by Rennsport Region PCA. What is the protocol, what am I going to need to cross into Canada and back into US? ( US Customs says form CF 4455?).
I have been throught the RIV schpiel, but CBS says, not needed, as I am not selling or leaving anything. (i.e., any of the the vehicles). RIV says $195.00 each per vehicle (truck, trailer and car) plus taxes????? CBS talks about excise tax on the A/C plus a "green tax", but not on pick-up or vans that carry 10 people????? +CBS says no duty, no GST. WTF????

I was told to get a print-out of the event, to show I am registered, and bring my titles to show proof of ownership.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, as this is a first time trying to drag anything across the border. We have passports, (BTW). I know a few of you have done this one your own and would appreciate any help. It shouldn't be THAT complicated, should it? If it matters, I am planning on crossing at Plattsburgh.
Thankx,
Scott
Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Passport, proof of insurance for the registered vehicles and proof of ownership for the track car if it's not registered. Don't bring any guns, alcohol or big knives with you. Been there twice with no hassles. They ask where you are going, for how long and send you on your way.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You can take a bottle of booze from the duty free store though.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
You can take a bottle of booze from the duty free store though.
What everybody said.....I'll never forget the time I was coming back over from Tremblant through Watertown at about 1am....the elderly customs official, with a completely straight face, asked me "Are you bringing over any plants or trees?"

In my delirious state after driving on track all that day, then driving home afterward, it took everything I had not to bust out laughing in his face...
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always had a list of contents for the trailer.

Not necessarily down to every nut and bolt but rather the big, obvious and expensive stuff.

You might get asked on the return if you are coming back into the USA with anything you didn't leave with.

The last time I went to Canada was the same weekend as the London subway bombings. To say they were on high alert would be an understatement.They looked or touched just about everything we had.

You never know what the security environment will be at any given time so its best to be prepared.

Tom B.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

You don't need to go through RIV. You're not importing the car into Canada.

Your car's registration in your name will be enough. If they even ask you for it.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I've never had an issue - especially with an open trailer. It's quite obvious you're going to a race track.

Just need a passport and answers to the questions:
-Where are you going?
-How long is your stay?
-Is anything staying in Canada?
-Do you have any alcohol, tobacco or firearms? (I don't know about the guns, but you're allowed to bring in certain quantities of the alcohol and tobacco without paying duty (tax) - I know it's 1 case of beer per person; I don't know the number of cigars you can bring...)

That's about it. It's always been a total non-event for me.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 AM
SWK6Cup

Thankx guys. Seems like you can't believe everything that you read on the internet, eh?
^ Van- Canada has the good cigars, anyhow...can we say, "Hello CUBANS!!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Its pretty painless. But if you have a radar detector, don't just turn it off. Take it down and put it away..
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
SWK6Cup

Dan: thankx, I heard that they have detectors which detect if you have your detector on and working....Damn Mounties......eh?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Dan: thankx, I heard that they have detectors which detect if you have your detector on and working....Damn Mounties......eh?
No Mounties.

OPP - Ontario Provincial Police, and yes they do have Spectre Radar Detector Detectors. 120km/h or less and you are good to go.

Surete du Quebec (Quebec Cops) like to collect $$$ in the name of safety from visitors. They generally aren't too friendly.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I've never had an issue - especially with an open trailer. It's quite obvious you're going to a race track.

Just need a passport and answers to the questions:
-Where are you going?
-How long is your stay?
-Is anything staying in Canada?
-Do you have any alcohol, tobacco or firearms? (I don't know about the guns, but you're allowed to bring in certain quantities of the alcohol and tobacco without paying duty (tax) - I know it's 1 case of beer per person; I don't know the number of cigars you can bring...)

That's about it. It's always been a total non-event for me.
Crossed 3 weeks ago going to Mosport and no issues going or coming. Besides above, one other question going up was, what are you carrying back there?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

It is illegal to even possess a radar detector in Quebec. If they detect it or see it they will confiscate it. If it is hard wired or stealth installed, you will have to rip it out.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
But if you have a radar detector, don't just turn it off. Take it down and put it away..
Not in Alberta.

Marc
Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 PM
SWK6Cup

Thaxk guys, I will leave the radar detector at home. When you all crossed, did you simply show your vehicle registration cards or did you need titleS? Did US customs (homie security) on the way out/back require a filled out & signed CF 4455 document?

Quick Reply: Canadian Border Crossing