Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For A Coach/Instructor For Road America Club Race Test & Tune August 31st

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:25 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
I'm headed to Tremblant Tuesday, got back from Mid-O three weeks ago. I love 'em both.

Then, of course, off to Laguna Seca in three weeks....

Choices, choices...
Laguna bored me, I often felt the history built up my expectation level too high, but from a course standpoint I felt it not challenging and just kind of an average track.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:52 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Local resources include the Master, "Duck" Waddle (seriously, that's his name), thirty-plus year Skip Barber instructor and Road America legend.

Also, Gregg Borland of ArmsUp Motorsports is a great local resource. http://www.armsupmotorsports.com/contact.php

Bart Wolf, of Elkhart Lake, is also. http://wolfmotorsport.com/
Who would be the best of these guys for setup tips my RS America H prepared? I'm thinking similar setup to Watkins Glen?

Does anyone have contact info for Duck Waddle?

What is the format for the Friday Test & Tune; open track? run groups? how much track time can I expect?

Thanks,

JF
Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I've only ran it that one time and mostly in the rain but it was a challenging track. I agree it highly underrated and I'd love to get the opportunity to race it dry. I still watch Cervelli's great run there....
Did your daughter pick UT ?
Whenever you are serious about coming down just let me know and I'll see what I can come up with you for a ride at TWS.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993PET
Who would be the best of these guys for setup tips my RS America H prepared? I'm thinking similar setup to Watkins Glen?

Does anyone have contact info for Duck Waddle?

What is the format for the Friday Test & Tune; open track? run groups? how much track time can I expect?

Thanks,

JF
The other one I forgot about earlier was Jim Pace. He's done stuff with the guys at ArmsUp and as you know has Porsche experience. I'd lean towards contacting them. If they aren't available they are very plugged in to the coaches up there. IIRC Gregg Borland was the 'manager' of the skip barber stuff up there.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd try contacting the MKE or Chicago PCA. I did a DE there a few years ago......Duck taught us. In the wet he said the track was similar to a moist women. Real story.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:16 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

MKE?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The other one I forgot about earlier was Jim Pace. He's done stuff with the guys at ArmsUp and as you know has Porsche experience. I'd lean towards contacting them. If they aren't available they are very plugged in to the coaches up there. IIRC Gregg Borland was the 'manager' of the skip barber stuff up there.
Jim Pace is a good one, but seriously if I needed a coach for Watkins Glen my first choice would have to be Peter Argetsinger, he is an excellent coach, and he has history with the Glen. For those that don't know, his dad (Cameron) was the founder at WG and the reason we had Formula One there for many years.

See Pete's bio below and contact info below, he is a talented driver, as well as coach. I have seen him drive, and been instructed by him 20+ years ago. Pete goes all over as well, or at least did, I worked with him in Florida at Skippy, and then in Texas.

http://peteargetsinger.com/bio.html
Old 07-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Viking, we're talking Road America, not the Glen.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 AM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I may have told this story on RL already, but it's worth repeating. In 2004, I was at Road America doing the DE Memorial Day weekend. It was rainy and cold, and during a break, Duck Waddle took a Skippy van full of people on a narrated instructional tour of the track to demonstrate the rain line. He stopped the van in the Carousel, and ordered everybody out. Remember, it's raining. He lined us up along the inside edge of the track, and instructed us to walk to the outside edge by shuffling our feet along the pavement. Of course, your feet slide effortlessly for one car width and a couple of feet, and then they get stuck, and duh, that's where the grip is in the rain, off the racing line. He has a gift for making his points dramatically, and he's a blast to be around.

Re: Pete Argetsinger, he really is terrific. He summers in WG and winters in Sebring, so look him up- great guy!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 561 Posts

I'm guessing MKE is Milwaukee Region PCA.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW
Re: Pete Argetsinger, he really is terrific. He summers in WG and winters in Sebring, so look him up- great guy!
+1. Peter and I have done some joint coaching at the Glen, and we have really enjoyed it!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1. Peter and I have done some joint coaching at the Glen, and we have really enjoyed it!
Same here, as well as other venues. Peter is terrific.

JP would be great for Road America. He often does work for Gregg Borland's race team and, of course, travels. His contact is: jimpacems@gmail.com

JP is one of the quickest, most sympathetic drivers I know in ANY car. Plus, he does have more set-up knowledge and background that PA or most others.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I'll be there and can coach if you like.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
I'll be there and can coach if you like.
Are your services available for a Friday night session at Siebkens, I nee a tequila refresher course.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
Are your services available for a Friday night session at Siebkens, I need a tequila refresher course.
Ahhh... the Friday night Siebkens session is my favorite session of the whole weekend!!

Quick Reply: Looking For A Coach/Instructor For Road America Club Race Test & Tune August 31st