Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA rules changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Given the fact that they won't allow us to take our passenger seats out for safety reasons because it isn't in the spirit of the way things were "back in the day" I highly doubt anything but allowing a PS cooler will even be spoken of for more than 30 seconds.. bust stranger things have happened! The no top thing seems like it would kill the aero on the bigger tracks, but what do I know.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please – we can’t have this kind of major scope creep in Spec Boxster. The whole point of a spec series is that all the cars are the same (and hopefully costs are controlled as part of that). If everyone has the same equipment, then the racing is fun and the difference is primarily driver talent and racecraft. Is the goal of the series to have a car that can go a few miles an hour faster around the track due to some new expensive upgrade or to have 20-30 cars on the track competing like crazy with each other on an equal playing field and having an absolute blast doing it? You can always spend more money to go faster, so when does it stop?

It’s hard enough for many folks to fund their racing hobby and Spec Boxster represents a nice lower-level point of entry for Pcars. Allowing more expensive modifications like an LSD will create a set of “haves” and “have-nots”. Some drivers are already stretched and just won’t be able to keep up with the spending. Those that can’t keep up with the LSD cars will leave and those who were thinking of getting into the series will be scared away worried about what high dollar part upgrades the 2014 rules will bring.

Isn’t everyone in Spec Boxster having fun now? I hear all the time that they are! Can we stop spending money on new performance upgrades and instead use that money to go to more races?

Last edited by longhorn911; 07-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
No dog in the fight but allowing headers, allowing shock changes, allowing LSD's just turns it from a Spec class to an E car without Hoosiers...
+1 Looks like another 10k to me.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:16 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree that a spec suspension package should not be dicked with, also think the "past the headder is open" is not a limitation for the series, but after driving this car this year I do think the LSD should be considered. It would make these cars way more fun to drive, and allow you to run in E or GTS. In my mind the consideration isn't whether a part will make the car "faster" but will it make it more fun. The add of a LSD would definately up the fun factor. If you haven't driven a car with a LSD it will be hard to convince you, if you have you will know what I'm talking about. I don't want or need any other changes.

944spec had the same LSD concerns and has adopted them, IMHO it makes a big difference in the driveablity of the car. As far as the escallation of costs, there is very little difference between a boxster lsd and a 944, if the 944 can accomodate it in a much cheaper platform I have a hard time thinking that it is cost prohibitive. Here in Phoenix there are few if any SpecBoxes, I'm about to build a LSD box to run PT/GTS its a major limitation that pushes me out of specbox. Once you're non spec then you might as well screw it and do the aero and other mods but then it's another car out of the series. Rather keep it spec, but I need a LSD and ho ho's not to get spanked...
Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
I agree, dumb fuking ideas. Leave it alone. If you want those changes go run it in E stock.
Yup
Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Proposed rule changes for SPB in 2013...

SPB

2. Engine. Exhausts free after the heads. Reasoning presented: Improve performance of the car.
Engine. AKA: Headers allowed

D: Power steering coolers are allowed. Reasoning presented: Even with the under drive pulley, with the allowed wide front wheels the power steering system can still overheat. Coolers are relatively low cost, don’t improve performance directly, and racers who have not had an overheating issue won’t be disadvantaged if they don’t do it..

3. Transmission. Limited slip differentials are allowed.. Reasoning presented: This would benefit the car in both cornering and trail braking and minimize abrupt handling changes when an unloaded tire spins or locks. It should also saveon tire wear.

4. Suspension/Wheels/Tires. Revalving of the spec shocks is allowed. (please also comment on alternative:, any shock –or any shock without an external canister – is allowed.) Springs are free. Reasoning presented: Improve the handling and
performance of the car.

Comments may be sent to crrule@pca.org until October 1, 2012.

Edit: The PDF contains an incorrect email address for Club Racing Rules: the one I have always used and get responses from is : CRrules@pca.org
Exhaust open ? - I thought this was a "Spec" series, you should be making more close ended items not more open ended items. There is already a 20hp difference between potential competing exhaust systems the way the current rule is written. Bad way to go for the class.

Power Steering cooler ? - Good rule, not needed by all but it can be an issue for some it seems. Should probably add some to the rule to specify what line cooler can be plumbed into. It would be nice to spec the cooler even or at least limit it as to size and location and with fan or not.

Transmission ? - LSD ? Really ? Once again, it's a Spec Class, why increase the cost. Yes it would be better with an LSD, it would be better with Hoosier's and a Turbo also. Don't increase the cost and potential for a guy to out spend his competitor to win by having an LSD, and, or, having it rebuilt every couple events to be sure it's always pulling 100%. This increases costs initially AND in maintenance, neither is good for the long term future Spec Boxster class. Would it be a little more fun to drive with a good LSD ? - Duh, of course ! But still not behind the spirit and idea behind the class.

Shocks and Springs ? Duh, see answer above. NOT in the spirit of the class. Keep it Spec'd just the way it is.
If you are going to do this slippery slope just leave it wide open and allow MCS/Moton/AST with canisters. Then you will have a more even playing field, as everyone will have fully adjustables. By allowing re-valving and different springs then the "have not's", or "know not's", will be stuck with the current Spec set up, while the have guys with the unlimited budget and or experience will have a larger body adjustible nitrogen shock with different springs for each track.

Spec classes should be as close to all the same as possible, that makes it more a driver factor, not a car build or dollars spent, or setup factor.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Right on, onefastviking, Gary, longhorn911.

The car absolutely does not "need" a limited slip, nor headers. The more spring/shock options you allow, the more money can be applied to optimizing them with expensive secret sauce. Goes against the spec purpose.

If you need a LSD and other non-spec items to run competitively in a non-spec series, that's cool! Go for it! But it would be detrimental to the spec series to cater rule changes to that situation.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sure most if not all of you know this, but just in case, make sure you send comments to:

crrules@pca.org

Discussing the rules here is good, but we shouldn't assume that PCA is reading this.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm sure most if not all of you know this, but just in case, make sure you send comments to:

crrules@pca.org

Discussing the rules here is good, but we shouldn't assume that PCA is reading this.
Good point Mike.

While I am a PCA member, I personally feel the rules should be made of of the SPB participants/racers so I leave it to those that are current SPB racers to submit their feelings. They can cut and post my thoughts if they agree with me, permission to copy is granted.

Besides, I stand to make more if they allow the diff's and suspensions ! - That being said, it's best long term for the class to leave the Spec Boxster class Diff rule, suspension rule, and header rules as stock as they are now, NOT as proposed in this rule change. That should give you an idea of how I feel about the changes, I'm going against what could stand to benefit me personally financially.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Good point Mike.

While I am a PCA member, I personally feel the rules should be made of of the SPB participants/racers so I leave it to those that are current SPB racers to submit their feelings. They can cut and post my thoughts if they agree with me, permission to copy is granted.

Besides, I stand to make more if they allow the diff's and suspensions ! - That being said, it's best long term for the class to leave the Spec Boxster class Diff rule, suspension rule, and header rules as stock as they are now, NOT as proposed in this rule change. That should give you an idea of how I feel about the changes, I'm going against what could stand to benefit me personally financially.
Agree 100%. Besides, I don't want any more SPB's in your shop getting in the way of my cars!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Wow tough room!

Just to be clear I don't like any changes, but I really think with the level of the cars a diff is a pretty simple and basic piece.

I am building a complete non-spec trans and keeping a spec spare hoping a few of the 44 guys eventually jump ship and I have someone to run with. In the meantime I'll run the car in GTS. Even in PTD the field is thin. The last time out it was running solidly in PTC times and knocking on PTB in spec trim, but needs the diff and tires to have a hope...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Agree 100%. Besides, I don't want any more SPB's in your shop getting in the way of my cars!
Bad news/good news.
Bad, too late, a new green SPB appeared/ good,the silver and red top car is done.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Wow tough room!

Just to be clear I don't like any changes, but I really think with the level of the cars a diff is a pretty simple and basic piece.

I am building a complete non-spec trans and keeping a spec spare hoping a few of the 44 guys eventually jump ship and I have someone to run with. In the meantime I'll run the car in GTS. Even in PTD the field is thin. The last time out it was running solidly in PTC times and knocking on PTB in spec trim, but needs the diff and tires to have a hope...
I agree, a diff is a simple and basic piece. But it is one that is additional cost, AND additional maintenance, and offers you a a difference in buying your ability (do you get a GT,OS Giken, Drexel, etc), and for that matter tires are simple (Hoosiers or Toyo's or slicks), you see my point I am sure.

But with a LSD diff it's easy, you just put your foot to the floor. The way it currently is without an LSD diff you are forced to learn how to drive it smooth and in more control, puts more emphasis on the driver and thus rewards the driver with the most talent the most.

The main point is that this is a "Spec" class, we could all be racing "Spec golf carts" and it wouldn't matter to me, I'm in ! As long as all the "golf carts" are the same.

Isn't that the main object of Spec class racing ? If you want "fat wallet racing" we have classes for you too. If you want "I'm winning and first in class, but there is only one car in my class racing" we have that also. But true "SPEC" class racing should be more about the nut behind the wheel.

Just my opinion, you, and all the rest, are entitled to their own opinions as well.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Viking, no argument, been there done that with the 944spec. The racing is what it's all about and trust me I know about the other end of the spectrum, it's why I have a box in the first place....
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Wow tough room!

I believe a diff is about a $2500 upgrade, hardly insignificant for a Spec Class guy. I bet an installation/setup of a top of the line GT Racing Diff could even approach $4K, simply not right.

Quick Reply: PCA rules changes