Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, love that video. Much jealousy...even down to the stickers. Actually amazing to hear that motor just zing through the gears and yet the stickers on the tyres don't seem to rotate correspondingly fast enough. Probably an optical illusion.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder why so much steering wheel twist is designed into front axle. A couple times beyond 180º. Perhaps something to do with high speed turns requiring more precise input.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 AM
acao
Racer

The video's perspective really hammered home something that never occurred to me. F1 cars aren't "cars" as we know them. We open a door, climb into a relatively cavernous and cushy space, and cruise.

Watching the driver eye his target and climb in, it's apparent that F1 vehicles aren't "cars." The driver climbed into something akin to a tight pair of trousers attached to a rocket sled. Not for the claustrophobic.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by acao
The video's perspective really hammered home something that never occurred to me. F1 cars aren't "cars" as we know them. We open a door, climb into a relatively cavernous and cushy space, and cruise.

Watching the driver eye his target and climb in, it's apparent that F1 vehicles aren't "cars." The driver climbed into something akin to a tight pair of trousers attached to a rocket sled. Not for the claustrophobic.
It would be cool to see a hot qualifying lap from the same perspective as opposed to this "out-in" lap. But beggars can't be choosy. I never have and never will drive a Formula One car, but I have driven a Formula Renault car on more than one occasion and it's a cool experience where you the driver become one with the car once strapped into the harness, except of course my elbows and side of my knees were sore at the end of the day from bashing into the sides of the cockpit on every corner. But the Formula Renault hardly pulls one G around the track versus the 4-5 Gs the Formula One car pulls. Plus another thing we don't see in these Formula One cars that did not exist in the Formula Renault cars I drove is that it that the driver's feet are actually higher than their butts are. It's like they drive in the ultimate lazy boy chair. Of course I am sure nothing about driving a Formula One car could be qualified as lazy.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Giacomo
Pro

... "something akin to a tight pair of trousers attached to a rocket sled"

that's always the best kind of ride, regrettably they rarely last that long.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:50 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd never really tried to understand the wheel of an F1 car. After watching this I looked it up and found this pretty cool video.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/04...els-explained/

Amazing.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Plus another thing we don't see in these Formula One cars that did not exist in the Formula Renault cars I drove is that it that the driver's feet are actually higher than their butts are. It's like they drive in the ultimate lazy boy chair. Of course I am sure nothing about driving a Formula One car could be qualified as lazy.
I recall the drivers complaining about the high noses when they started designing them that way. They said they would lose some feeling in their feet because of reduced blood flow to them. Don't know if there were some adjustment to the cars or seating position to remedy that issue or whether all the drivers are now dealing with that, so they don't complain anymore.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Dave, Very cool video......Thx for sharing. Love the sound of that engine as he clicks thru the gears.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dotframe
I'd never really tried to understand the wheel of an F1 car. After watching this I looked it up and found this pretty cool video.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/04...els-explained/

Amazing.
I've always wondered how the signals get from the wheel to the car. You can see there are no wires, but then in the first video, the wheel "comes to life" when its inserted onto the shaft.

I would say it's all wireless, but damn, there are a lot of buttons, levers, switches, and lights on that damn thing. Just the wheel alone probably has more computing power than a PS3 LOL
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You can buy steering quick disconnects that have all the wiring internally. That way anything mounted on the wheel "connects" when you attach the steering to the steering shaft.

This is likely a significantly simplified version for club racers.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6951
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
You can buy steering quick disconnects that have all the wiring internally. That way anything mounted on the wheel "connects" when you attach the steering to the steering shaft.

This is likely a significantly simplified version for club racers.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6951
I've seen those...and a few like them. Mclaren actually makes a few things like that for the public, and they say they are directly from their racing program.

It just seems "low tech" for use in F1...
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Here's another video from Spa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbPG...yer_embedded#!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I wonder what the per lap cost is for something like that.

Quick Reply: Pretty cool perspective from inside an F1 cockpit