Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Sonoma Sprints" Spec Miata race vid

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:57 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Keith. Can't disagree with any of that.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
I could probably come up with the same thought right after the race but upon review realize I came in second place after a good race. The silver car just bounced off the yellow car, he reacted to that contact and ended up where he did. You were in a weaker position with or without contact. You may have been able to get closer had the other cars not been there, ether way he had the inside and you were going to haver to take the long way home. I saw no rules infraction for an SCCA or NASA race.

The flaggers definitely had some issues. I sure am glad though, that they volunteer their time for me to have so much fun at the track.

Good driving/racing get him next time.
"Tiny hijack" Hey Keith! Great seeing you at RRR! Man you've become a force to reckon with in the SM world. Hopefully see you soon. Daytona in Aug?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
"Tiny hijack" Hey Keith! Great seeing you at RRR! Man you've become a force to reckon with in the SM world. Hopefully see you soon. Daytona in Aug?
Sorry Darin,

Roger thanks, great to see you back on track, hoping to make Daytona.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Impossible situation. These minor incidents just happen. I can agree that he was trying to keep his position and lead, especially on the last turn of the last lap, in traffic! Meanwhile, it was great driving by both of you and I have great repect for hard-core Miata drivers.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

DP, no comments on the Toyos vs. Hoosiers?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Cohn
Meanwhile, it was great driving by both of you and I have great repect for hard-core Miata drivers.
I gotta second that thought. To be off the front of such a huge field says a lot right there.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For a different perspective, same weekend but different group.

He's not running a later gen Stohr, nor a built motor, so he's ~1:34 v. their ~1:27. Compare those times to the 5.0L Can Am era (Crawford/J. Villenueve/Rahal/Sullivan) that was ~1:25 on what's basically the same track.

You'll also get a kick out of overtaking some backmarkers on a couple of restarts.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
For a different perspective, same weekend but different group.

He's not running a later gen Stohr, nor a built motor, so he's ~1:34 v. their ~1:27. Compare those times to the 5.0L Can Am era (Crawford/J. Villenueve/Rahal/Sullivan) that was ~1:25 on what's basically the same track.

You'll also get a kick out of overtaking some backmarkers on a couple of restarts.

http://vimeo.com/45772442
Ouch, my neck hurts. Why don't they use a halo seat? Great job driving by the camera car but some of those guys couldn't buy a apex.

PS: Was Carlos Ragado's DSM out there?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
DP, no comments on the Toyos vs. Hoosiers?
Doc - plenty to say on this topic, but even after an entire weekend of racing them side by side, opinions still vary. I was surprised to be able to compete with the Hoosier shod national cars on my Toyos. We all thought that this would be the one track where the Hoosiers would really dominate the Toyos. But all of the fastest national SM's were 1.6's, and we don't know if a 1.8 on Hoosiers would've been a potent combination.

It seemed that any advantage the Hoosiers had decreased toward the end of a hot race, while the Toyos remained a little more consistent. Because of the warm weather (80's) tire management was an important factor, which I was focused on in the race. Not sure how the others were treating their tires.

Qualifying however was another story, with a clear advantage to the Hoosiers. If there's one thing we might be able to agree on, it's that new or one cycle Hoosiers can do one lap that is 0.5 - 1.0 second faster than either tire can do at any other time.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Ouch, my neck hurts. Why don't they use a halo seat? Great job driving by the camera car but some of those guys couldn't buy a apex.

PS: Was Carlos Ragado's DSM out there?
No idea. Weight savings at all cost in the Formula/Sports Racer world?

Don't know about Carlos' car, either. Sad to think the first time I ran into him again after giving him a ride in the Radical circa 2004 was just after he bought a Stohr and had it out to practice at a DE. Then I found out he passed away about two weeks later.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Doc - plenty to say on this topic, but even after an entire weekend of racing them side by side, opinions still vary. I was surprised to be able to compete with the Hoosier shod national cars on my Toyos. We all thought that this would be the one track where the Hoosiers would really dominate the Toyos. But all of the fastest national SM's were 1.6's, and we don't know if a 1.8 on Hoosiers would've been a potent combination.

It seemed that any advantage the Hoosiers had decreased toward the end of a hot race, while the Toyos remained a little more consistent. Because of the warm weather (80's) tire management was an important factor, which I was focused on in the race. Not sure how the others were treating their tires.

Qualifying however was another story, with a clear advantage to the Hoosiers. If there's one thing we might be able to agree on, it's that new or one cycle Hoosiers can do one lap that is 0.5 - 1.0 second faster than either tire can do at any other time.
Interesting! Much closer than I would have thought. Given all of this, I'm somewhat surprised that the 25 hour Miatas are almost exclusively Hoosier shod. Maybe the cooler temps, and larger tires used there make the difference.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Interesting! Much closer than I would have thought. Given all of this, I'm somewhat surprised that the 25 hour Miatas are almost exclusively Hoosier shod. Maybe the cooler temps, and larger tires used there make the difference.
Interesting indeed! I think we might've conducted the first true head to head race test of Toyo RA1's vs Hoosier R6's. Now that the dust has settled, I'm not sure anyone agrees any more than they did beforehand!

I've driven Miatas and MX5 Cups at the last three 25 Hours, and none on Toyos. To be honest, I think we've always just assumed that the Hoosiers are way faster. I'm still thinking that the Hankook would be better than the Toyo or Hoosier, but who knows? You're correct to point out that in the cold temps Hoosiers might still be much better than Toyos. But it's not as cut & dry as we used to think.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

RA1 vs. Hoosier. My opinion:

RA1 - Last longer and more steady wear..lighter than hoohoos (shaved RA1's)..faster in the straights.

Hoosier - Shorter life..more grip in the turns..slower on the straights due to weight/stickier.

Overall, Hoosiers are faster, usually by .5 to a full second. New track records this year on Hoosiers almost everywhere that I've been. Running RA1's and then running Hoosiers right after there is a noticeable difference in straight speeds and cornering. You must be even smoother running RA1's and can get away with more sloppiness running hoohoos.

Quick Reply: "Sonoma Sprints" Spec Miata race vid