Sponsored by:

"Sonoma Sprints" Spec Miata race vid

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:52 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Sonoma Sprints" Spec Miata race vid

Not sure if you guys are tired of Spec Miata videos yet. But if not, here's my in-car video from last weekend at Sonoma. I started in the front row of a 72 car SM field, pulled out a big (for SM) lead, only to have it erased by an odd partial full course caution (competition caution?), which started a battle for the lead that came down to contact in the last turn. The other drover thinks I hit him, on purpose. You be the judge.

https://vimeo.com/45553538
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did everybody go?
No one except the silver car in your rearview mirror.

I bought a SM last year and still trying to learn how to drive the damn thing.

My 20 years of learning how to drive Porche's smooth and precise is killing me.

It was interesting that just recently we had a qual in the rain and I was beating guys who blow my doors off in the dry...ah, smooth and precise vs driving on the ragged edge and almost wrecking in every corner.

Looked like you may have had a whole bunch of former Porsche drivers in your field.
Tom B.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very exciting stuff, down to the finish. You had their doors blown off, to lose it to some yellow that I didn't see, then a badly timed mis-shift (not your first!) handed the lead over leading to a desperate chase through lappers for an opening. You hit him, but I don't think on purpose. He didn't leave much room and that was the place to go.
Good driving!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Exciting indeed. I agree with Gums above that it didn't appear intentional at all. I think he made a bad decision to move right behind the yellow car and realized his dilemna instantly as you stayed to the left. thought his move left was the cause of the contact....
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You hit him and did it twice. You were turning in before the contact happened and then after the first contact when he was now straightening out you didn't and hit him again. Was it on purpose? I don't think so and it seems to happen a lot in SRF and SM. You were on the outside and in the position to 'avoid' the contact more easily than he was being in a sandwich and that is where I can see his annoyance. In a pro race not a big deal. In club racing it's definitely a grey area and I could see someone throwing paper on it as well.

It wasn't a smart move in hindsight on your part to go three wide into that turn however I think I would have done the same thing as well. To see if he'd pick himself off and give you the run around the outside. Especially on the last lap. However the power of holding the inside is dictating when the outside guy can turn in. Having run that same basic move through turn 1 at VIR which is a similar style corner I've always been ready for the guy on the inside to not turn as much as I'd expect, especially when I am the one who is trying the pass.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Darin
Nice driving as always....bummer on the missed shift......

You took an aggressive outside move and he probably didn't see you.....it looks like he slightly moved into you for the 1st hit......the 2nd hit is more on you...... but still minor contact for SM
Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

However the power of holding the inside is dictating when the outside guy can turn in.

Every so often, every now and then, little gems like this one pop up in the damnest places.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:00 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 858 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
However the power of holding the inside is dictating when the outside guy can turn in.

Every so often, every now and then, little gems like this one pop up in the damnest places.
Isn't this one of the basic tenants of race craft? If you don't know it when you start racing, it certainly something you learn the first time someone does it to you. Any racer that tries to use the qualifying line should experience this.

Scott
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

These vids don't get old - great driving, and a lot to learn from them!

It does appear you anticipated his turning in sooner than he was willing to give it to you, twice. Because you "skinned" him in the pass the contact was pretty minor. No loss of position happened, so I think it would end up as a racing incident, but if you had passed him during that minor melee, it may have been looked at differently. I can certainly see why you wanted to get turned in, as there is a concrete wall coming up on the outside. Bold, and pretty aggressive move, but in a championship situation, I could see myself going for it, as well.

What I'm most interested in is how you posted the FTD on Toyos when the National guys were on Hooisers! Conventional wisdom says that should be impossible in a competitive field.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Isn't this one of the basic tenants of race craft? If you don't know it when you start racing, it certainly something you learn the first time someone does it to you. Any racer that tries to use the qualifying line should experience this.

Scott
Scott, you know I'm as new as new can be.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM
dp35
Pro

It will surprise no one to hear that I don't feel at fault for either hit. One thing I know with certainty is that I did not hit anyone intentionally, which should be obvious because I had nothing to gain. The contact prevented me from winning, which was my goal.

The first hit was caused by the silver car first contacting the yellow lapped car, bouncing off & hitting me. Unintentional & no big deal.

The second hit was different. I was on a clear path around the outside of him, and on my way to winning the race. The other driver could see this & IMO made contact intentionally out of desperation. Evidence of this is the amount of room between us & the lapper, who stayed on the normal line. The other driver had everything to gain by hitting me. SCCA rules frown on this sort of intentional contact, especially into a car that's leaving ample racing room. NASA rules on the other hand seem to almost encourage it. This was an SCCA race.

What really surprises me is that nobody noticed the phantom full course caution that was shown at two flag stations, then disappeared without a pace car. All of the drivers were confused by this, & none had seen it before.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
It will surprise no one to hear that I don't feel at fault for either hit. One thing I know with certainty is that I did not hit anyone intentionally, which should be obvious because I had nothing to gain. The contact prevented me from winning, which was my goal.

The first hit was caused by the silver car first contacting the yellow lapped car, bouncing off & hitting me. Unintentional & no big deal.

The second hit was different. I was on a clear path around the outside of him, and on my way to winning the race. The other driver could see this & IMO made contact intentionally out of desperation. Evidence of this is the amount of room between us & the lapper, who stayed on the normal line. The other driver had everything to gain by hitting me. SCCA rules frown on this sort of intentional contact, especially into a car that's leaving ample racing room. NASA rules on the other hand seem to almost encourage it. This was an SCCA race.

What really surprises me is that nobody noticed the phantom full course caution that was shown at two flag stations, then disappeared without a pace car. All of the drivers were confused by this, & none had seen it before.
He was the 'lead driver' on the 'inside' and there was ample room for you to the outside. I know how my local SCCA stewards would call it. Making it 3 wide on the outside of a hairpin turn on the last lap often results in contact.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 858 Likes on 426 Posts

What I see is you making an aggressive move trying to force you way into the spot you wanted. A spot you had no right to since you were not the lead car and the lead car left you room. It's not possible to tell the silver car driver's intent since he just bounced off the yellow car. Contact was not at all surprising....in fact, I would expect it based on the class and what everyone was trying to do in that situation.

Scott
Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice driving. Happens a lot when trying to maintain the outside line though in SM, since every turn is on edge. I was in second a couple of weeks ago and drove an excellent outside line to maintain position, trying to give proper racing room, only to be bumped off track on exit. I was pissed, but not anything I can do about it. Same guy hit me in the first race as well. Some guys can drive really aggressive and make very little contact and some are simply hazardous. At least you stayed on track.

Oh and it is obviously not on purpose. You found a place for your car and you put it there.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I could probably come up with the same thought right after the race but upon review realize I came in second place after a good race. The silver car just bounced off the yellow car, he reacted to that contact and ended up where he did. You were in a weaker position with or without contact. You may have been able to get closer had the other cars not been there, ether way he had the inside and you were going to haver to take the long way home. I saw no rules infraction for an SCCA or NASA race.

The flaggers definitely had some issues. I sure am glad though, that they volunteer their time for me to have so much fun at the track.

Good driving/racing get him next time.

Quick Reply: "Sonoma Sprints" Spec Miata race vid