Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern California Racing Club Experience (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Northern California Racing Club Experience (Long)

If you are pondering running with the Northern California Racing Club, do it, you won't regret it. Now to the details.

After a brief stint Time Trialing with the Porsche Owners Club in the late 80’s and early 90’s, I came back to the track in 2001 with my 97 Carrera. For about 4 years I Time Trialed…but then the racing bug bit. I did two Racers Clinics with the Porsche Owners Club (POC) and have been race licensed since 2005. Since that time I have participated in 6 to 8 POC races a year, competing almost exclusively against other Porsche cars. Having said that, I wanted to try something different. I wanted to compete against other marques, but not enough to take a dive into NASA. How would I do against a well prepared and well driven Mustang, BMW or Honda S2000 for that matter?

Having run Thunderhill earlier in the year, with POC, and clearly certain that I had a lot to learn if I were to become a competent driver at that track, I wanted to go back. And besides, I had not raced in months and “Baby” and I need a track “fix”. So I went on the look out for a race to occur in late June, voila, the Northern California Racing Club (NCRC) had just such an event for me. Don’t let the club name mislead you, they also do events in Central California at Buttonwillow and Central Coast, Laguna Seca. See http://www.ncracing.org I had run a one (1) day event with them in 2011 so I knew in advance that they ran a solid event.

So, I signed up for two (2) days at Thunderhill with NCRC to occur on June 30th/July 1st. On Saturday, I participated in the racing format. A bit unusual in that you get two (2) races per day, a practice, a qualifier and two (2) races. Your position in the second race is determined by how you finish the first race. The excellent deportment of the participating drivers was notable. The variety of cars entered incredible, with many marques represented, from Mazda open wheel race cars to a tube frame NASCAR style car, and every thing else in between. There were no serious incidents over the course of the two races, or in Sunday’s Chrono event for that matter. My eyes were opened to the fact that the Mitsubishi Evo, the WRX, Spec Miatas and some well driven Honda cars can be really fast, Mustangs and BMW’s too. In both races, I started and finished mid-pack, maintained my starting position, typical of my racing history; I am a mid-pack guy, but I have as much fun as anyone, maybe more? I think more…it has taken several days for the grin on my face to subside.

On Sunday, in the interest of getting more track time and to satiate my need to really learn the track, I ran the NCRC’s Chrono series. This series is run at Thunderhill and Buttonwillow. Over the course of the day you get: 1 practice, a qualifier and three (3) Chrono Heats. Your practice finish determines your starting position in the qualifier. Your qualifier determines your position in Heat 1, and so on and so forth. With this format, just as in racing, you always have a car to catch, maybe 2 if you are skillful and lucky..and at the same time, you don’t want to get caught by the car that started behind you. Please note that the practice and qualifier are intense, as close to a wheel to wheel racing situation that I have ever experienced over the past 7 years.

Personal feedback from driving the Chrono practice session and the qualifier on
NT-01 tires made me feel that I was finally in the grove; my times were coming down, I could handle the track. My reward? I slapped on a set of slightly used Hoosier R6 tires. With my accumulated experience and the Hoosier tires, I was able to catch a car or two in front of me in each of the 3 heats. I also improved by 2 seconds in all three (3) heats. Not to say that I am superman driver, its just that my Chrono qualifying time was not all that stellar. In all three heats, where I was fortunate enough to catch up to a car who had out qualified me, the overtaken driver let me by when it was clear I would pass him in a matter of time….not initially, but only when it was very clear that they were holding me up.

At the end of the day, literally minutes after the final heat, the results from all three (3) heats were tallied up, and a class winner determined. The classes are a very simple Weight/HP format, with specific points added or subtracted for various modifications. If you run on street tires, let’s say 140 or higher, you get 8 points to your favor. These 8 points could possibly move you to a lower class. If you run 100 series tires, you are neutral. Those that choose to run slicks, it costs you 8 points which could boost you into the next higher class.

Also note, the event runs on time. If a particular group loses time because of an incident, they are offered the last run session of the day, which is saved for this sort of contingency.

NCRC does no advertising, strictly word of mouth, and they have been around for years. Their formula is clearly working because there were 130+ cars present, across all the classes offered such as Solo, Point By, Racing, Chrono. The timing and scoring is very well done…results are readily available at the conclusion the sessions. Hard to believe, but thetimer is also a driver. He has his job dialed in.

The driving participants are generally younger than you will see at the typical Club Race, with a sprinkling of grey beards, and very few motorhome/stackers are to be seen. A lot of the Solo and Point By guys either drive their cars to the event with tires etc., stuffed inside, or bring them up on open and/or closed trailers. The race cars and Chrono cars are generally track prepared cars, many of them single duty race cars. Safety is big with NCRC, a 13/13 rule is in effect. All car participating in racing are required to have roll cages, and the standard safety equipment specified by such race clubs as NASA and PCA Club Racing. The Solo and Point By safety requirements are very similar to what you will see with other Clubs.

As with any club race event, driver skill varies, but I didn’t observe any “loose cannons” or Bozos out on the track on either day. I find it really exciting to compete with an assortment of marques. To top it off, the cost to participate is modest in comparison to what I have seen other Club’s charge. Their secret, low overhead, two guys do everything and they do have a timer as well. You pre-register on-line and your wrist band and run schedule is sent to you prior to the event. You are responsible to Tech your Solo and Point By car. Racing requires and annual Tech inspection a la NASA.

Check out their web site (See above). It is designed to let you know the availability of any and all events and some history and philosophy of the Club. It is an interesting read.

If you are in SoCal and will travel north to Buttonwillow, or in Central or Northern California, you may want to take a look at the upcoming NCRC events. I know I will. The run the premier West Coast tracks such as Laguna Seca, Thunderhill and Buttonwillow.

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-04-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time!

I still enjoy running with NCRC, and the races are usually pretty fun too. less pressure, so its a little safter and not so ego competitive for those wanting a taste of racing, coming from the timetrial groups.
Much more of a weekend warrior friendly environment. I used to race with Luc Noel, one of the organizers of NCRC, in the late 90s . Hes a great guy and has done a great job running the series of events throughout the year.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Excellent write-up, Martin.

Luc and Dave run a great event. In the last four or five years, they've successfully transitioned from being a kind of boutique track group to lower prices without giving any of their top-notch organization and creative thinking. ARC is one of the most laid-back race groups around, but their lack of tolerance for contact or other shenanigans means it's also some of the cleanest racing you'll find.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default "Sounds like you had a good time!" Oh yeah!

"Sounds like you had a good time! " That is an understatement...it was an epic experience. The racing was run, clean and fast. The Chrono event, really over the top. I am thinking the ideal mix for me is to Chrono on Saturday and race on Sunday. Get in lots of track time that way.

Their August Thunderhill event, I can either go to my High School reunion, or go racing....not a real tough decision...Racing!

And your comments on Luc ring true. Dave Mills is super as well. NCRC is a real treat for those of us luck enough to have a Porsche car and the time and resources to go to the track.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

I have known those guys for a long time-- since they got started really. I think they co-own the business. We are lucky to have them and NCRC. I have driven several events and raced with them. I have also instructed many times with NCRC.

They have good instructors and put on good events.

My wife did her first and so far only race with them in 2006 and really enjoyed it. She decided to start toward the back and ended up passing a bunch of cars.

I think I saw some video from the event described here. That video showed a 993 in front of the camera car. May be the original poster's car, or may not. I think I can find the link if the original poster is interested.

- Mike
Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile If it was a white 993???

That was me...I was the only white 993 there.

Starting at the back, I have done that is the past...its a fun way to do a race.

I'd love to see the video.

mfschacht@gmail.com
Old 07-04-2012, 05:12 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Agreed about NCRC....great group..... I have been running DE wtih them for years and racing for the past two.....I love the format and they are the best bargin out there.....hard to argue with practice-qual-race-race for $99.... I'm bummed I missed last weekend.....even more bummed I will miss the August weekend as well :>(
Old 07-04-2012, 05:14 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Their August Thunderhill event, I can either go to my High School reunion, or go racing....not a real tough decision...Racing!
You're probably the only one still breathing anyway. Was Truman President then?...
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile President???

Racing will be a far better experience than a silly reunion.

President when I was in High School, not Truman, Eisenhower...the guy that brought you the national interstate system that you so wantonly speed upon. And don't be so cocky, LBJ was president when you were in high school. Who? Ten more rotations of the earth around the sun, and you'll be right where I am now...of course by that time I will be toothless and in the old folks home, wearing diapers.

Quick Reply: Northern California Racing Club Experience (Long)