986 Coolshirts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than FR, has anyone tried the new system to see if it is a noticeable difference over Cool and Fast? I'm in the SE so I'm always looking for a cooler solution.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

This just in
The 986 brand has been sold to MOMO. No new products will be available until they are all re-branded late July or early August.
They recommend the standard shirt over the fireproof one saying that it wicks moisture away from the skin better. The FR shirt like cotton absorbs the sweat and apparently can cause steam burns.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
This just in
The 986 brand has been sold to MOMO. No new products will be available until they are all re-branded late July or early August.
They recommend the standard shirt over the fireproof one saying that it wicks moisture away from the skin better. The FR shirt like cotton absorbs the sweat and apparently can cause steam burns.
Steam burns? From what?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Hmm...steam burns or synthetic material melted into my skin???

I think I know which way I would go.....

Scott
Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Good points....I emailed them to see what they say about this...we'll see what they come back with.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the 986 system in my scud, ran it last year and it sucks! Ripped it out off season, put in the Fast tank, left everything else the same, much better. I have the 986 Nomex shirt along with the regular shirt, keeps me chilly
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Which shirt seems better, Cool Shirt or 986?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryf
I put the 986 system in my scud, ran it last year and it sucks! Ripped it out off season, put in the Fast tank, left everything else the same, much better. I have the 986 Nomex shirt along with the regular shirt, keeps me chilly
In what way does it suck?

Did you purge it?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had this discussion last weekend when the track temps were well over 100. Those who had used both thought the 986 shirt was better than the standard FAST shirt for cooling. Some of them were using the FAST system with the 986 shirt. I was quite happy with my modified FAST system and shirts. I view it as you have different options that work and it is up to you which shirt material you prefer. I think we had 2 guys using the 986 shirt and 6 using the FAST or cool suit versions.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
We had this discussion last weekend when the track temps were well over 100. Those who had used both thought the 986 shirt was better than the standard FAST shirt for cooling. Some of them were using the FAST system with the 986 shirt. I was quite happy with my modified FAST system and shirts. I view it as you have different options that work and it is up to you which shirt material you prefer. I think we had 2 guys using the 986 shirt and 6 using the FAST or cool suit versions.
Which 986 shirt? The compression fit shirt or the FR shirt?

I have Cool Shirt 12 qt system with a cotton Cool Shirt shirt. I used that at Thunderhill when it was 100+ F and it worked quite well. It lasted all race long and I had plenty of ice in the cooler after the race.

I have a controller that lets me set the flow to be continuous or off for 1 minute and on for 1 minute. On the pre-grid, I used the off/on setting. Once we rolled out to the track I set to continuous and didn't think about it again until after the race and I was back in my pit.

I have no experience with either 986 shirt so I cannot comment on the differences.

Scott
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't aware there was more than one style 986 shirt. The one with a bladder instead of tubes is all I know.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had both systems and both 986 shirts.
The 986 shirt with the Coolbox works best IMO. The 986 box looks like it should be better but just doesn't insulate as well as the CB- block ice doesn't last as long- its not close. A friend who has had both also concurs.

The non-FR shirt fits great but its well, not FR.
Whereas the FR shirt fits poorly. I'm like a pretty standard 6' 175 lbs and the sleeves are 3" short, the neck gaping and it's not as snug as it should be through the body. It actually seems slightly asymmetrical as well. It's just poorly crafted. Still, it's the best combo of coolness and FR.

I'm told by 986 that they are working on FR Mk II but if acquired by Momo is accurate that could delay the process.

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 06-22-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the 986 shirt with a Cool Shirt system and love it. Works great.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
In what way does it suck?

Did you purge it?
I found the flow in the 986 box to be less than coolshirt and not as cold. Not sure if you are familiar with both so excuse me if this is a rehash but 986 uses a separate water reservoir and ice area where the water coil are located. The coil is stacked pretty close together which IMHO doesnt give enough surface coverage to the ice. If they enlarge the coil diameter and spread it out in the box so that the ice covered the coil better, then it might be a good system.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

I have extensive experience with both, and in fact 986 sponsored me in their first year. My take on things:

LOVE the 986 shirt. Much more comfortable than the Coolr Shirt style, enough so that I just leave it on for the full day without switching into a tshirt between sessions. Part of the comfort is from the bladder design and part comes from its ability to wisk away sweat and keep you dry. I am told that the melting point is significantly above the temps you would see in a car fire, but have no way to verify that.

One issue with the shirt - I did have a bladder split at the seam and begin to leak. Made the shirt useless and had to replace. I also had a Coolr Shirt leak around the tubing, so either product could fail I guess.

The 986 cooler worked great for me, when it worked. Contrary to what others have said I found that the ice lasted a lot longer in the 986 than my Cool Shirt cooler. It usually lasted a full day and when I did need to refill it it uses much less ice, so fewer bags to buy and lug around. A filled cooler also weighs about 5 lbs less than a large Cool Shirt cooler. One tip on its use - because it uses very little water you have to 'prime your shirt'. Fill the cooler with water, then attach the shirt and turn it on until the shirt fills with water, then top of the cooler with water again. Otherwise you will run low on water.

The downside of the 986 cooler is reliabilty. My first one was a gen 1 design and began leaking pretty early in its life. Company replaced it with a gen 2 design that lasted about 2 years, but again began to leak. I have since ditched it and put back in my old Cool Shirt cooler. If it worked I would rather use the 986 cooler, but have concerns over leaking issue.

The biggest problem I have with the Cool Short cooler is that sometimes it works and sometimes it seems to freeze up. I think ice gets stuck uner the pick-up tubes and blocks the water. Often it will not work when sitting on grid then begins working once the car is moving.

Quick Reply: 986 Coolshirts