Le Mans 24 Hrs huge incident.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
If it wasn't for the gentleman drivers, there wouldn't be "Professional" sports car racing in the world as we know it today (or at all). And the majority of Professional sports car drivers who barely squeak by making a living would be doing something else.

I'm not saying they (gentleman drivers/paying AM's) shouldn't be better, just stating a fact. :-)

-mike
I agree and this type of mistake does not only occur with amateurs. The Delta wing was taken out in a similar manner (although at a lower speed) by professional driver Kazuki Nakajima.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it wasn't for the gentleman drivers, there wouldn't be "Professional" sports car racing in the world as we know it today (or at all). And the majority of Professional sports car drivers who barely squeak by making a living would be doing something else.

I'm not saying they (gentleman drivers/paying AM's) shouldn't be better, just stating a fact. :-)

-mike
So I guess we both agree that it exist because of funding requirements for race teams. Period.

Then we can elect to watch it or not. Sure I would like to do it myself and my friends and familly would be interested in it. But why would you ? ;o)
Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

-mike
All true.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Meh, you saw plenty of dumb moves by some of the pros and a pile by the lead Audi drivers, the armatures hit rate was about the same...some real low percentage moves. I would think that the seasoned drivers would just look at the AM placard on the back and pretend its an "R"...
+1 and Davidson isn't completely without a blame in that huge incident.
He could've been more careful and pass outside or after the turn, always when you pass inside where the slower car's line is, you have to be careful.

Not saying it wasn't Ferrari driver's fault because it was but the faster drivers have to take care also.

Gentleman drivers... Yeah, I don't like them either, partly because it creates situations like that but mostly because I feel I could do a better job than most of them if someone would fund me.

Let's be honest guys, all of us who track our cars would love to do that an would not hesitate for a moment if a chance was given so don't really blame them, blame organizations who don't scrutineer enough the level of amateur drivers.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

If I had my own lizards and wrote the checks you bet I'd have a seat. Already paying for some of the best coaches with long and bergmeister. As much as Seth's skills weaken the second car, its his cash that gets the whole team there in the first place. Just the reality of it. I actually think Neiman is getting better; if his incident was due to a leak as suggested he was doing pretty well.

One other thought, how many sports are elevated to the point that unless you were one of a very small number of a very elite circle you could never participate? NBA, NFL, PGA, NHL... Granted LMS is not F1' but for the pinacle of sportscar racing it is a at least a possibility, if you have the means, and a modicum of talent... Not arguing that any joe gets to buy a seat, but it is a possibility for many.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

I'm susprised nobody mentioned the risk associated with putting different classes of cars together on track. With GTE cars lapping 30sec slower than LMP cars, there are bound to be incidents even amongst professional drivers.

Check out the closing rate of the Nissan on the Ferrari and positioning at 0:22. Hard to tell with telephoto lens but it didn't appear that Ant had Ferrari yet at point, which is where the Ferrari begins his turn-in. Maybe it occurred earlier but I also didn't see the Nissan flash his lights, which i thought was standard practice when overtaking a much slower car at Le Mans. Not placing blame anywhere but not sure it's all that clearcut IMHO.

Similar incident in 2010:

Anyway, hope Ant recovers quickly.

Last edited by Nizer; 06-18-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Looked like the GT driver had no idea he was on the inside. It's not like he was dive bombed. Bad mistake he should have braked earlier and let the LMP1 by, I doubt the guy even knew he was there.

Quick Reply: Le Mans 24 Hrs huge incident.....