Sponsored by:

lsrpca DE at TWS 6/9/12?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Advanced drivers are not immune to driving beyond the limits of adhesion.
Certainly, and in this case, totally intentional that truly was his line. It was quite a ride
Old 06-15-2012, 11:42 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I can tell from the prize money.
I "won" my DE by fixing my car and finishing the weekend. That count?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by acao
Going faster isn't necessarily going safer. Someone with high coordination, a powerful car, and a well calibrated butt might not be ready to advance if he's never dealt with rain, obstacles, avoiding another driver's crisis, or managing his own crisis. He's not truly safe until he knows the escape routes, how to go two and four wheels off, etc. This stuff doesn't come in one event, or even 5 events. A doctor may leave medical school with the physical coordination and book smarts to be a surgeon, but he isn't a surgeon until he's observed and assisted in years worth of procedures, seeing many different ways thing go SNAFU, and recovering.
Might seem a little odd to be comfortable going 2 or 4 wheels off.
Drive at night in ChumpCars and you get all this experience in spades :-)

Haven't had rain on the track yet -- but that's inevitable.

I have had an engine blow in front of me creating a nascar pucker moment.
I've had a tire go down on track mid turn without loosing it.
I've had a quick release steering wheel come off while turning into a dogleg at speed, without having to change my shorts (barely :-)

you just get used to weird stuff, don't panic, get things under control and
deal with it.

Mike
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 AM
preetham
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While i am on track i am not looking at any live data. Just have my GPS and Camera turned on, a simple setup. I place the camera behind me so i can see how i turn...smooth..pinching corners..some of the beginner habits...

I do however look at my GPS data, particularly corner entry\exit speeds, and i must admit, I do like to see how some of my changes over the weekend translate into my lap times.

Infact, more than fastest lap time, i like to see how my subsequent laps look and compare as i drive my subsequent laps. As an example, after i set my fastest lap, i noticed that almost halfway through the next lap, i was a second faster. As i completed that lap, i not only lost my sec, i went down by anoother. I traced this to the different line i took through T2-T1.

I try to gather all the data i can and in a way it helps me put my instruction and its application into perspective.

i would like to additionally track braking and accelration. How can i get that data?
What are the popular places to mount cameras externally?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 AM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove and Sarah navigated

Old 06-16-2012, 09:26 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by preetham
i would like to additionally track braking and accelration. How can i get that data?
What are the popular places to mount cameras externally?
In my opinion, if you want to start analyzing data, it's time to move from a video/laptimer system to true data acquisition, and the easiest way to do this is with a TraqMate system.

I see external cameras mounted all over cars. Front and rear bumpers, fenders, and roof. External mounting is somewhat helpful for analyzing line, but I prefer to see what my hands are doing when analyzing my driving. As a result, I like a wide angle view from inside the car that includes at least my right hand in the field of view.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:55 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, if you want to start analyzing data, it's time to move from a video/laptimer system to true data acquisition, and the easiest way to do this is with a TraqMate system.

I see external cameras mounted all over cars. Front and rear bumpers, fenders, and roof. External mounting is somewhat helpful for analyzing line, but I prefer to see what my hands are doing when analyzing my driving. As a result, I like a wide angle view from inside the car that includes at least my right hand in the field of view.
HEY MIKE, I WON !!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
HEY MIKE, I WON !!!!!
Show me the money!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:50 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show me the money!
I'm typing on the computer aren't I ???

F*#@ Comcast, I can fix this on my own, I'm NOT waiting for another stupid service guy !
Old 06-16-2012, 08:00 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I'm typing on the computer aren't I ???

F*#@ Comcast, I can fix this on my own, I'm NOT waiting for another stupid service guy !
Well done Viking!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 PM
preetham
Rennlist Member

In my opinion, if you want to start analyzing data, it's time to move from a video/laptimer system to true data acquisition, and the easiest way to do this is with a TraqMate system. .
Wonder if it is possible to have data analysis demonstrated at one of the classroom sessions at the DE.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by preetham
Wonder if it is possible to have data analysis demonstrated at one of the classroom sessions at the DE.
Absolutely! It's been done in the past, and can be done again. I'll visit with our yellow and white classroom instructors and see if we can set something up in September.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 PM
preetham
Rennlist Member

Awesome...thanks Mike.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

In fact, I started a data analysis seminar this past weekend for PBOC, another group that has hired me to coach all its events. I mayy add thhat to the White classroom for LSR in September if there is interestt...
Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Defiant
Instructor

Some instructor's wouldn't mind sitting in on that one as well . I use RLC.. really like it. It's very visible and with the 20Hz GPS it's pretty darn accurate. I've used the software SOME but need to use it more.

http://www.rlcracing.com/track-commander.htm

Had a GREAT weekend.... the new shocks are pretty damn awesome. I would also appreciate some advise on tuning 3 way adjustable shocks :-O. I've got a good base setup and have played with adjusting the high speed bump settings.

Quick Reply: lsrpca DE at TWS 6/9/12?