Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsrpca DE at TWS 6/9/12?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:05 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

ervtx - interesting obervation on harry's laptimer as it comes to high speed on the straight. The recorded data on Friday showed between 122 and 125 (993 4S ...) but I hit the 130 easily looking at the speedo.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e9stibi
ervtx - interesting obervation on harry's laptimer as it comes to high speed on the straight. The recorded data on Friday showed between 122 and 125 (993 4S ...) but I hit the 130 easily looking at the speedo.
Notice also that it has to "catch up" on occassion, which makes it look like I'm accelerating at ridulous rates. I figure that it never catches up to the fact that I was going 154, and just jumps ahead to where I was already decellerating.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervtx
Notice also that it has to "catch up" on occassion, which makes it look like I'm accelerating at ridulous rates. I figure that it never catches up to the fact that I was going 154, and just jumps ahead to where I was already decellerating.
May I assume that you are using the iPhone for GPS? Its refresh rates are too poor for good results, which is also why your track map looks the way it does. A better GPS will fix things, but you still won't be going as fast as your speedo says. My speedo error is 4 or 5 mph into 15.

For example, look at https://www.emprum.com/ for a plug in far better rate GPS. Makes Harry's data work very well.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 PM
preetham
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Nice improvement for a weekend! Did you drive the open track day on Friday? This was a blast and unfortunately, I could not do the weekend. I made some changes on Friday and got into 2:06 / 07 very consistently and would have benefited from some instructions to fully take advantage of some of the changes that already worked well on Friday.

See you next time!
No, i did not make it. I have been considering the friday open session as a good way to prepare for the weekend. Sort of an orientation before the weekend sessions. It takes me a session or two to get re-acclimated to the track. Will be there in Sept, might do the open track then. Hope to see you there.

Originally Posted by ervtx
Here's a video from the white run group on Sunday. Two laps which begin with a really stupid romp through the mud in T15. I was running on street tires for the first time in years and was really struggling with initial turn-in. So here I come charging down the straight at 154 (don't know why Harry's LTP is always off on the speedo, but trust me, I'm always b/w 152 and 154 at the end of the straight in the CW config). Anyway... those front tires grabbed at an unexpected moment and all of a sudden I was darting straight down to the grass just before the pit-out. Too late to correct with steering, so I just rode the brakes, stayed on them thru the first piece of grass, but lifted as I put two wheels off into the mud after the pit out, and then back on them hard again to make the save. It was twice as hairy in the car as looks in the video!! The rest is a bunch of crappy driving because I was too busy checking my underwear for a good two laps after that! LOL!

Nice drive. Thanks for posting, would like to see more of the white\red group videos. They are a good reference of us Blues. I tend to learn more watching the instructors (in car) and analyzing videos than being instructed during the drive.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by preetham
Nice drive. Thanks for posting, would like to see more of the white\red group videos. They are a good reference of us Blues. I tend to learn more watching the instructors (in car) and analyzing videos than being instructed during the drive.
both are beneficial, but I do agree that seeing what a capable driver does is a quick way to learn whats possible, vs what I can do. That said, in our classroom when we were talking about different lines, I had a hard time not jumping in saying "my instructors line through that turn was sideways"
Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizzyj
I had a hard time not jumping in saying "my instructors line through that turn was sideways"
Advanced drivers are not immune to driving beyond the limits of adhesion. They just see it coming sooner, are more likely to recover after it happens! LOL!

Another video, playing around with some new Harry's LTP video export settings. Street rubber was causing lots of understeer at turn-in. Late braking at the end of the T5 - T4 straight caused me to miss the T4 aptex.

Last edited by ervtx; 06-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I was there. Finally got out of the green group on Saturday lunchtime and had much more fun in the blue run group. Black 997 (#300)

Huge room for improvement as my best lap time was only 2:13:00:

John

Last edited by FiatCoupe; 06-15-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
acao
Racer

Here's another video from this weekend.
This is the 3rd session Sunday, so I'm taking it easy and trying new lines through 10 and different braking approaches into 15. A scenic drive to end on a positive note.

Last edited by acao; 06-14-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Incompetence with video embedding.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I think you need to invert you G meter. When you are braking the marker is moving back and when you turn the marker is moving to the inside of the bend.

John
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Glad to hear everyone had a good time. I'm biased, but I think LSR runs a great program. We try hard to make sure everyone is safe, has fun, and learns.

I hope this remark doesn't offend, but I'd suggest that folks in blue and even yellow would be best off avoiding worrying about lap times. Instead, focus on smoothness of inputs, skills like heal-toe, and line. If you do this, the speed will come naturally. Reviewing your video is great for figuring out line, and even better if the video is shot from a car behind you.

If you do this, the speed will come from how you drive. If you focus on lap times, you may improve your speed by increased testicular fortitude, but you could end up not actually improving your skills as much as you would want.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:30 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by mglobe
I hope this remark doesn't offend, but I'd suggest that folks in blue and even yellow would be best off avoiding worrying about lap times. Instead, focus on smoothness of inputs, skills like heal-toe, and line. If you do this, the speed will come naturally. Reviewing your video is great for figuring out line, and even better if the video is shot from a car behind you.

If you do this, the speed will come from how you drive. If you focus on lap times, you may improve your speed by increased testicular fortitude, but you could end up not actually improving your skills as much as you would want.
110% true. A lap time will only tell you how much time you spent under ideal conditions, with ideal equipment, and no traffic. In other words, lap times are meaningless in DE. From green through yellow, I did not record lap times. I still don't look for lap times, they're incidental to data acquisition and probably the least informative piece of data. I'd rather look at corner entry and exit speeds. My best times have come at open track days, with virtually no traffic, just going in circles. That's REALLY boring compared to figuring out how to address a corner that has changed shape because of passing, traffic, standing water, debris, rain, etc.

Which leads to another observation. I don't think people should be in any rush to advance through groups, and I don't think faster times are indicative of being ready to advance in DE. Safety is the first, second and third objective. Going faster isn't necessarily going safer. Someone with high coordination, a powerful car, and a well calibrated butt might not be ready to advance if he's never dealt with rain, obstacles, avoiding another driver's crisis, or managing his own crisis. He's not truly safe until he knows the escape routes, how to go two and four wheels off, etc. This stuff doesn't come in one event, or even 5 events. A doctor may leave medical school with the physical coordination and book smarts to be a surgeon, but he isn't a surgeon until he's observed and assisted in years worth of procedures, seeing many different ways thing go SNAFU, and recovering.

When I see people confuse driving fast with driving well, I think of all those kids good at Guitar Hero but can't play guitar.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I agree. I've no idea what my times are whilst I'm on the track. I'm interested in driving better not necessarily faster. It's great to have an instructor sat next to you and I'm very impressed with the tutition and management of the track days by PCA/LSR . It's only when I use the software to add the telemetry data to the video that I know my times.

Watching the video with the ghost car representing the fastest lap can be a useful tool though in seeing where I'm loosing or gaining ground.

John
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Coco_951
Instructor

Globe - if you don't keep up with your lap times how do you know if you win? :-)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco_951
Globe - if you don't keep up with your lap times how do you know if you win? :-)
I can tell from the prize money.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Coco_951
Instructor

Yes exactly!!!!

Quick Reply: lsrpca DE at TWS 6/9/12?