Passed under double Yellow

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
you did the correct thing.
You can be guaranteed that if you passed him under the full course yellow, to "take back" your position, that would be what would be called in, not the original pass.
Hey Bruce

Provided it doesn't happen on the last lap of a FCY, wouldn't that be evident on timing and scoring lap charts? Not that it could be spotted immediately, but verified later if the passee protests?

Mike
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Another good reason for in-car video...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, it depends where the first pass occurred. If the pass occured after going double yellow and after the two cars passed S/F, yes but normally these passes under a double yellow occur shortly after the course goes double yellow. I think the poster said the pass occured on the front straight but S/F is relatively early on the front straight at The Glen so who knows whether it was before or after.
Frankly, I've only half kiddingly proposed that all cars that run in PCA CR run video front and rear, at all times, tied into the car's battery and ignition, as with a Chase Cam or the newer Traqmate/Go Pro set up, in order to assist the stewards. Problem with that is we've already raised the entry level bar much higher than it was at the beginning of the program and why add another requirement?!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Gotchya. Thanks Bruce.

Peter, you always have a simple solution!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Video in this case doesn't seem to be the issue. The OP followed the rules and it penalized him. His race was compromised by a 'not in class' car passing under FCY and further separating him from a competitor. If he had repassed under yellow and got caught he would have been BF'd and video evidence would have came too late for his race. I guess it is just one of those things, but it really sucks.

In car video should be mandatory. A passed car could protest and have the offender DQ'd. Passing under yellow means he is not paying attention or cheating, either way a penalty might change the behavior.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Video in this case doesn't seem to be the issue. The OP followed the rules and it penalized him. His race was compromised by a 'not in class' car passing under FCY and further separating him from a competitor. If he had repassed under yellow and got caught he would have been BF'd and video evidence would have came too late for his race. I guess it is just one of those things, but it really sucks.

In car video should be mandatory. A passed car could protest and have the offender DQ'd. Passing under yellow means he is not paying attention or cheating, either way a penalty might change the behavior.
This is one example of why black flags during a race should be used primarily for safety reasons. You can always DQ someone after the race. That said, I'd still not sure I'd repass under yellow. Racers aren't expecting to be passed, and if it caused an incident, you'd hang, in the "right" or not.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Frank, I don't know how they could emphasize it more.

This behavior is amazing given the length to which Brian explained the need and importance of catching up under full course yellow during the drover's meeting.
Amazing? More like mortifying. I wonder what other important information is not sinking in with drivers who don't get the basic concept: "you're in a race, go as fast as you safely can at all times and catch up"
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Saw this in the 3 pm enduro (forgot the color) Our driver was stuck behind some guy just out for a sunday drive during the double yellow. We were all waving from the pits trying to get the guy to catch up. It can really screw a guys race.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:59 PM
gerryk
4th Gear

absolutely he was 7th!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 PM
gab997
Racer

Correct-yes no passing on any class in full course double yellow.
However, he/ she deserved a hard brake check when you passed him under green.
There are some really stupid people out there.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I was passed after three corners of a black flag condition. The driver sat back, then dove in at the heel of the boot, in front of the corner worker station. While sitting in the line-up, I asked a scrut to speak with the driver. Apparently his response was that he thought that the balck flag for me, and not full course.
And no one has mentioned the red flag that was widely ignored during the yellow group...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we are in the bitching mood, did anyone notice the cup car fiasco during the second red sprint race? Two cups made contact in the heel of the boot (right hander before the uphill, off-camber left hander); one got stuck in the gravel trap and the other rejoined the race. Yellow flags were immediately displayed at the two preceding stations and remained there for the duration. Over the course of the next 6 laps +/-, not one, not two, not three, but FOUR cup cars ended up in the gravel trap. How does this happen?? The yellow was waving, we all knew there were cars there, yet somehow the drivers managed to drive fast enough to loose control and join the fate of the other stuck racers.

I never heard any mention of it at the drivers meetings. Oh yea, remember the previous day when a cup car spun and it the wall during the warmup lap, as soon as he came on to the track (at the S/F line)? And the day before a cup spun and hit the wall exiting the pits between T1-T2.

Anyone at Sebring? Remember the absolute cup car chaos that ensued the first test and tune day? IMHO, one should have to somehow demonstrate the ability to handle these monster cars before being handed a license.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM
gab997
Racer

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Since we are in the bitching mood, did anyone notice the cup car fiasco during the second red sprint race? Two cups made contact in the heel of the boot (right hander before the uphill, off-camber left hander); one got stuck in the gravel trap and the other rejoined the race. Yellow flags were immediately displayed at the two preceding stations and remained there for the duration. Over the course of the next 6 laps +/-, not one, not two, not three, but FOUR cup cars ended up in the gravel trap. How does this happen?? The yellow was waving, we all knew there were cars there, yet somehow the drivers managed to drive fast enough to loose control and join the fate of the other stuck racers.

I never heard any mention of it at the drivers meetings. Oh yea, remember the previous day when a cup car spun and it the wall during the warmup lap, as soon as he came on to the track (at the S/F line)? And the day before a cup spun and hit the wall exiting the pits between T1-T2.

Anyone at Sebring? Remember the absolute cup car chaos that ensued the first test and tune day? IMHO, one should have to somehow demonstrate the ability to handle these monster cars before being handed a license.
You mean you need a license to race???

What flags, all I see is green and checkered. No mind the yellow, black and red flags!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

I have heard 2 different versions of when the no passing zone starts for a local yellow. Is it when you see it or when you get to it?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampire
I have heard 2 different versions of when the no passing zone starts for a local yellow. Is it when you see it or when you get to it?
In Pro and SCCA racing, the yellow flag condition exists from a line perpendicular to the direction of travel AT the flag station displaying the yellow to the incident being covered. When you get to it.

In Historic and Club racing (can't speak to PCA Club Racing rules), it is from the exit of the previous flag station NOT showing a flag (i.e. green flag condition) and approaching the station displaying the yellow (to prevent "racing to the yellow") or "when you see it" to a line perpendicular to the direction of travel AT the next green flag (or no flag displayed) station (to protect from multiple incidents).

Just my experience. Twenty-one years of CDI for NC-Region SCCA and eighteen years as CDI for Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA).

Quick Reply: Passed under double Yellow