Sponsored by:

GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac finally on sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts
Default GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac finally on sale

No affiliation to the company. Just an FYI for those that strap a GoPro in their car for track days. This looks to be a very promising product. Aside from the remote (which, depending on where you mount the camera, obviates the need to contort in order to turn the thing on and off and can control settings), it can link up to 50 cameras and live feed to a smartphone/tablet.
Sale has been pushed back at least a half a dozen times to work out bugs. Hopefully it works flawlessly out of the box. Ordered mine this morning. Hopefully here in time for a track day this weekend.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be curious to hear how it works. Very interesting product with some very cool potential. I won't be able to pick one up for awhile, at least until I hear some of the reviews.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This could very very cool. But if you don't have the latest "Hero 2" camera, many of the cool features won't work.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

I used Tony Oldham's GoPro remote last week with my first generation Hero camera and it works really well ...
Installed it in the dash and it's pretty discreet,just reach out and press the start button !

Cheers !
Phil
Attached Images   
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
I used Tony Oldham's GoPro remote last week with my first generation Hero camera and it works really well ...
Installed it in the dash and it's pretty discreet,just reach out and press the start button !

Cheers !
Phil
I applaud his innovation and being the stopgap solution. But as long as the GoPro version isn't all buggy, it's not even close in comparison as far as features. Plus, it's all wireless, so no need to route ugly cables in the cabin.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Most interested in the smart/tablet app.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Just got my unit in the mail yesterday. Took a little longer than expected to configure and set it up. Seems to work now.
Wi-Fi remote can control any of the functions on the actual camera. The Bac-Pac and remote are each charged individually (I believe they estimate 5-6 continuous hrs of use for the remote, 2.5-3 for the Bac-Pac) Good thing is the Bac-Pac doesn't draw any power off the camera itself until it runs out of it's own charge.

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Most interested in the smart/tablet app.
Yeah, no app yet. But that should be very interesting.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:52 AM
gvtesse
Racer

Got mine yesterday with 2 wi-fi bacpac's. I sync'd the remote with 1 original hero and 1 hero2. I am having an interesting problem where:

* I can turn on both camera's via the remote.
* both camera's turn on, but on the remote it only shows 1 camera is sync'd
* if I press the record button on the remote only one camera starts recording
* if I press the record button again to stop recording nothing happens and I have to stop recording from the camera itself

This happened a few times to me. Reinitializing the sync'ing sequence on the remote before trying to turn on everything seems to solve that problem. A bit annoying, but other than that it is very cool.

This is the first time I've used cineform as well, which seems a little buggy. It didn't detect my devices or update correctly at first. Restarting the software solved that problem.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Tried it out this past weekend. Used only one camera, so can't speak to issues with multiple setups.
Worked fine with one big exception. Not a defect, per se, but a design flaw. The remote turns the camera on and off but doesn't control the Wi-Fi Bac-Pac itself. So you have to manually turn Bac-Pac on and off on the unit itself. If you don't turn it off, it drains the camera. The power button is tiny and the way I have it mounted is facing away from me; I have to fish for it if I'm already seated/belted. Annoying to say the least. Hoping there's a 'fix' for this or it almost defeats the purpose of having a remote in the first place.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 AM
gvtesse
Racer

Oh i didn't even think about having to turn on/off the wifi bacpac. I'll have to remember to do that this weekend when I try it out at the track.

I'll have 3 camera's so we'll see how the sync'ing goes.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gvtesse
Oh i didn't even think about having to turn on/off the wifi bacpac. I'll have to remember to do that this weekend when I try it out at the track.

I'll have 3 camera's so we'll see how the sync'ing goes.
Yup, definitely don't forget. I found out my camera was dead about half way through the day
Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just have to remember to hit the wifi bacpac before getting in the car. It lasts 5 hours also. It will save video time/camera battery of just sitting on the grid. When you get out of car, just remember to tap the button again.
Once the live feed app comes out, I just plan on hardwiring both the camera and wifi bacpac. Turn it on, and leave it on.

Quick Reply: GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac finally on sale