Sponsored by:

Arm restraints with OEM belts

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Arm restraints with OEM belts

I have a DE coming up with a Boxster that is mostly stock and has the OEM seat and seat belts. I have added the B-K roll over bar extension with plenty of SFI padding.

I would like to run with the top down. PCA says this is OK with arm restraints, but the chief steward / clerk of the course has opined that he has never seen arm restraints work with OEM seat belts.

I am an ex-formula sports car racer, so I don't need any education in how arm restraints are supposed to be worn, but I thought there could be a way to make them work, so I tried this as a test:

With the arm restraints on, I looped the left side arm restraint tether through the right side arm restraint loop, and then fed the seat belt through the left side loop before plugging the seat belt into the latch. It worked like a champ, and restrained my arms very much like they were with my 6 point harness.

Has anyone else used arm restraints with OEM belts, and found any other ways to make it work?

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 58 Posts

One thing to consider - in a pre-impact situation, there may be substantial, rapid arm movement as you try to make a save. It is important that the arm restraints have no possibility of pulling out additional slack in the 3-point belt. An extra inch or two of slack in the belt or chest strap is magnified by impact forces, allowing greater chance of head strike, as well as magnified head/neck deceleration force.

If the car still has airbags, less of a concern. You might also want to think about CG-Lock for consistent belt position, and R3 for head and neck restraint.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

It's always seemed to me that your left arm is as vulnerable if not more so in a hardtop with the window down.

I'm not vouching for the safety but I've seen some arm restraint setups where you sit on the connecting strap.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by facelvega
One thing to consider - in a pre-impact situation, there may be substantial, rapid arm movement as you try to make a save. It is important that the arm restraints have no possibility of pulling out additional slack in the 3-point belt. An extra inch or two of slack in the belt or chest strap is magnified by impact forces, allowing greater chance of head strike, as well as magnified head/neck deceleration force.
Good point, but I always lock my safety belts down before any runs. I am rather short, so I can easily take the seat back as far as it will go, pull the belts hard until they lock, then move my seat forward into my normal position. With this technique, my OEM belts always stay securely locked and tight.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

You may want to check out this product to see if it meets your needs.

http://store.gofastbesafe.com/mercha...ry_Code=OEM3pt
Old 05-28-2012, 03:51 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M_Weining
You may want to check out this product to see if it meets your needs.

http://store.gofastbesafe.com/mercha...ry_Code=OEM3pt
Thank you very much for the tip. I was basically making this same configuration when I looped one tether through the other, but I decided to order one of these anyway, just in case I catch any grief from the stewards.

Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:06 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad I could connect you with a product to meet your needs. Have fun with the top down and be safe out there.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not clear to me how they work. What does the small loop go around? or is it also Velcro loop that is looped around the lap belt. Is Velcro the medium used for securing the straps around the arms? Do you have to unstrap each arm individually to make an emergency exit?

Hmmm. I think I would rather have my roof up.

I can't think of another example of Velcro being used as the means of securing a piece of safety equiptment.

I hate the idea that you need to fumble with your arm straps (or the bottom loop) to get free of your car in an emergency. - in the case of the nuisance straps that they make us wear in SpecBox at least they fall off when you release the main buckle.

Am I missing something??
Old 05-30-2012, 03:26 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Laurie,

Unless you mean putting on a metal top, technically, you need to use arm straps.

Scott
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Laurie,

Unless you mean putting on a metal top, technically, you need to use arm straps.

Scott
Presuming we are talking DE, that doesn't sound right. Is that right? When I was track chair at NER I am pretty sure the only insisted on arm restraints when the driver wanted to drive topless. As ridiculous as it seems, a rag top was good enough.

I have certainly instructed in lots of Boxsters and never worn restraints.

If we are talking Specbox then yes you are right.

Laurie
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Laurie,

I was thinking racing, not DE....oops.

Scott

Quick Reply: Arm restraints with OEM belts