Sponsored by:

Help with 2009 Carrera S setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Bono
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 2009 Carrera S setup

Need recommendationations for 2009 Carrera C2S setup. Destroyed new set of Hoosier R6s in one DE event this last weekend with 100% stock setup. Craig at rennstore suggesting yellow Pagids front and rear. Guys at Eurosport will be setting up camber, alignment, etc. Do I need to do lower control arms on front. What camber settings should I discuss/suggest to Eurosport?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hoosier R6

On Page 2 under Chassis Set Up you will see what Hoosier suggests. While these numbers are a good benchmark, you will find set up people who have differing opinions to one degree or another. Camber, Air Pressure when hot, etc is all a matter of opinion and personal experience. Who mounted these tires for you withoput knowing about the camber?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
HOOSIER.pdf (851.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bono
Do I need to do lower control arms on front.
If you want more than 1deg negative camber, you will need adjustable LCA's.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy some GT3 LCA, tracking a non GT3 without them is a waste of tires.

A good street track set up would be:

-2.8F
-2.0R

0-2 toe out front
2mm toe in rear
Old 05-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Bono
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, thanks for your help on this. Been having a lot of fun at DE events, but have known for some time that I haven't had a correct setup. I bought the adjustable lower control arms yesterday, and will give the guys at Eurosport in Bensenville, IL the suggestion of -2.8F, 2.0R and 0-2 toe out front, and 2mm toe in for rear. We'll see what the come up with.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:55 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you could go with a bit less front and rear camber, but that will be more of a comprimise on the track, I personally rather compromise my street ride instead.

Hoosiers need more neg camber than a r compound like a ra1 or r888
Old 05-25-2012, 03:30 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the DE world! The "comprimise" issue is a big one - to really get solid turn-in on the track, you need aggressive camber and toe up front and in the rear. But on the street, that set-up will wear out your tires quickly. Solution? Compromise, or make the car a dedicated track toy (I took option #2 personally)

Also note that each tire brand/product will require a different set up. The goal is to get even wear across your tires, and hopefully you will only replace tires based on heat-cyles and performance fall-off...

Best of luck.

-B
Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Good general recs above. The only item I would add is that "your" set up will be partly dependent upon what tracks you usually drive and how you drive. So, most good shops will set a track alignment for you BUT will also want you to come back with the track tires to analyze how you are wearing them.. Then, and with the info you provide re track day temps and pressures, they can 'dial in' the specs a bit more. That second visit can really help. GL..
Old 05-25-2012, 06:53 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Hoosiers are pretty much a one-weekend tire.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bono
Need recommendationations for 2009 Carrera C2S setup. Destroyed new set of Hoosier R6s in one DE event this last weekend with 100% stock setup. Craig at rennstore suggesting yellow Pagids front and rear. Guys at Eurosport will be setting up camber, alignment, etc. Do I need to do lower control arms on front. What camber settings should I discuss/suggest to Eurosport?
search 997 forum.

you need 3 items for initial upgrades:

front LCAs
http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss_tarma...s/g-62403.aspx

rear toe arms
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm

and front fork arms:
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...010-detail.htm

with LCAs in front you set camber in -2.5 to -3 degrees.

in rear adjustable toe arms will allow to get up to -2.4 degrees of camber while keeping toe at 0.10. stock arms to not allow that.

front fork arms will allow to set castor to same value on both side and increase it from stock, stock arms do not allow that.

after that as you get car to, say, -2.7 deg front, -2.2 deg rear camber, 0 toe front 0.10 toe rear you can try various r-comp tires or if you decide on hoosiers you can add a bit of camber later.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Hoosiers are pretty much a one-weekend tire.
Jack,

I have not found this to be true. After retuning the driver/car you can get a ton of time out of R6's. Several years ago I spent time with a pro coach and had the car setup up for a driving style. I can get 20 HCs out of a set of R6s now and still run pretty close to a hot lap. I even set two track records on much older tires. Hell I coached a guy last year that ran his best lap ever on an old set of R6s and he was already winning his race class.

Quick Reply: Help with 2009 Carrera S setup