Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sure

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Alex:

Very interesting. Can you expand on the BMW integration? It is somewhat unclear from your post exactly how they will be intermixed (on track at same time or different run groups)?
BMW will have their own run group. They will also be responsible for running that group as our PCA Scrutineers will only be responsible for the two PCA race groups. So it is like we have three run groups as we have in the past with Porsche in two, BMW in one, and DE in the fourth. Mike Andrews(Race Chair)and Tom Zaffarano (Zone 2 Rep) have been more involved in the negotiations. I have emailed them asking them to log in and comment. As the Sponsorchip Coordinator, I have been on a teleconference where they covered other things like timing and volunteers. It really should be a nice addition.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
Like Don said, the PCA turnout has not been enough to support three groups for the past three years. Last year Zone 2 lost $7,000 and we ran two groups that were not completely full. Based on all the complaints about the heat(which are totally bogus IMO) and whatever else, what would you do? It was determined that we would likely only have enough support for two groups in 2012. Watkins Glen is two weeks prior to VIR, and Parade is in July. These events also contribute to lower turnout.

So we have BMW paying for 25% of the track and the DE group revenue supports the other 25%. If you feel so strongly about PCA only, then you have two options. Become a large sponsor for about $10,000 to $15,000 or get enough PCA Club Racers to commit for a third run group. Personally I think this will be a nice change and I will enjoy meeting some BMW racers.
I get the money thing. Can't lose $ on the event. I think Peachstate had a tough go of it the last couple of years. For VIR it was the wicked heat 2 years ago and RA has had torrential rains. Not this year at RA and won't happen at VIR.
Too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to modify the schedule - VIR before the Glen (never going to be too hot there) and RA in October when the weather is spectacular.

Do you know if I can sign up for the enduro after the schedule is posted? I need to make it home with sunlight on Sunday and if the Porsches race late that won't be possible.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I notice the dinner is extra. Anybody know what is on the menu? Is it at the track?

I'm thinking about driving the enduro. I will need pit lane support. Anybody available? I run a D car so you will need to be in a/the faster group. I can help you with your pit stop.
I don't normally post menus because things change at the last minute, but as of today the plans for dinner are

Grilled Beef Tenderloin
Chilled Shrimp
Grilled veggies
Caeser salad
Assorted desserts

and yes, it's at the track.

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Alex:

Very interesting. Can you expand on the BMW integration? It is somewhat unclear from your post exactly how they will be intermixed (on track at same time or different run groups)?

As Alex pointed out, the BMW guys will have their own time. Basically, in years past, the event has been schedules around four groups. Three race groups and one DE group. The past two years the attendance was down to where it made sense to run two race groups and the leftover time was given to the DE guys. This year that time will be allocated to the BMW group. The BMW guys will not take any time from the PCA race groups, and it will not take any time from the normally scheduled DE group. It really seems like a win-win for all invloved.

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I get the money thing. Can't lose $ on the event. I think Peachstate had a tough go of it the last couple of years. For VIR it was the wicked heat 2 years ago and RA has had torrential rains. Not this year at RA and won't happen at VIR.
Too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to modify the schedule - VIR before the Glen (never going to be too hot there) and RA in October when the weather is spectacular.

Do you know if I can sign up for the enduro after the schedule is posted? I need to make it home with sunlight on Sunday and if the Porsches race late that won't be possible.

Yes.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

With all of the above being said and splitting time with the BMW club, does that mean there will be just 1 PCA run group for the enduro??? And if so, does anybody have any idea what time it will be as I and others need to make our flight reservations back to New York.

Quick Reply: VIR PCA ZONE 2 Club Race