Sponsored by:

Looking for Spring Recommendations For a 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Spring Recommendations For a 951

I know I'm probably walking right into it as there will probably be more opinions on this subject than options for paint colour.....

I'm looking for front Spring (#lbs) recommendations for an 87 951 that is used exclusively for DE but is still driven to events, some of which are 4-5 hours away. I currently have Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable shocks with non adjustable spring height. The current springs on the car are about 1 1/2 " lower than stock and the PO said they are 400lb springs but I don't know for certain.

Can anyone recommend a proven spring rate for the 951 for DE?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I race with (and did DE's before racing) with 900/750 or 1000/900 depending on the track. I did drive 3 hours to the track once with the 900/750 package but it's not comfortable. Listen to some recommendations from guys who do that regularly. A track only spring rate is a hard thing to live with on the street.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM
teamking
Pro

I have 500f/600r lb springs and it's not bad. It's more firm than my stock S2000, but still liveable. Now keep in mind that it's a whole lot more firm than the original springs. Given that I only drive the car around town about 1 day a week, and that I live only two hours from VIR, I'd probably go with slightly stiffer springs if I had it to do over.

BTW, 500/600 was the combination recommended by Karl Poeltl at Racer's Edge. He's a good resource.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

What's your skill level? I have a hunch you might already be at a good setting.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Unless your yellow sport Koni's have been re-valved, 400lbs is the maximun they can handle when new. Hit a few cerbs and you can expect to rebuild them..... ask me how I know.

If you just stiffen the fron end the car will understeer more. The suspension is a package that needs to work together for the drivers skill level as Van said.

Bill
Old 05-03-2012, 05:39 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Karl P put me into my spring rates as well. I purchased everything available for my chassis from him at the same time. Motons to A arms.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Me too! After I had blown several Koni's.

Bill
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Regarding my skill level, I am starting my 3rd season of DE and i am currently driving in PCA White...which I guess is the first Solo intermediate group.

I bought the car from the previous owner already set up so I haven't had a chance to play around with different suspension setups yet. The car is lowered 1 1/2" and the front right tire is rubbing the top of the fender on turn 5a at Mosport which I suspect may be because the springs may be to soft or just plain worn out. I am currently running 205/50-16 tires up front on 7 inch rims and I am planning to switch to 8" wide rims which will probably just make the situation worse.

I want to thank all those that have expressed an opinion so far...I really appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Regarding my skill level, I am starting my 3rd season of DE and i am currently driving in PCA White...which I guess is the first Solo intermediate group.

I bought the car from the previous owner already set up so I haven't had a chance to play around with different suspension setups yet. The car is lowered 1 1/2" and the front right tire is rubbing the top of the fender on turn 5a at Mosport which I suspect may be because the springs may be to soft or just plain worn out. I am currently running 205/50-16 tires up front on 7 inch rims and I am planning to switch to 8" wide rims which will probably just make the situation worse.

I want to thank all those that have expressed an opinion so far...I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Van
What's your skill level? I have a hunch you might already be at a good setting.
Originally Posted by comatb
Unless your yellow sport Koni's have been re-valved, 400lbs is the maximun they can handle when new. Hit a few cerbs and you can expect to rebuild them..... ask me how I know.

If you just stiffen the fron end the car will understeer more. The suspension is a package that needs to work together for the drivers skill level as Van said.

Bill
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Do you mean the left front wheel is rubbing? 5a is a right hand turn, so the car will be leaning to the left - compressing the left side suspension. When you say the tire is rubbing the fender, do you mean the lip of the fender, or the plastic liner inside the fender?

A 1.5" drop in ride height is not insignificant - you might be bottoming out the struts.... If you're running after-market rims, they might be the wrong offset.

Do you work with any of the 944 shops in the area? Markus or Ernie?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 AM
redcarman
Instructor

Sorry I meant the front left tire and it's rubbing the lip of the fender. I am currently running stock D90s so the offset is correct.

I think I will drop by Mantis and ask Ernie what he would recommend. Thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

redcarman you have a pm.

Bill

Quick Reply: Looking for Spring Recommendations For a 951