Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Value/Most Reliable type of race car

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Not a bad idea to consider an older 911 or Spec Boxster. Both platforms can run with NASA, PCA and POC in california- which is nice because you can run multiple series... or plan events around your free weekends.

Spec Boxsters have "relatively" cheap replacements transmissions/engine. Similar costs to an engine/trans rebuild in an older 911 if i"m not mistaken.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Problem with Spec-Wrecker Fords is you automatically need a trailer & tow vehicle. I've seen spec-piñata's driven to and from events.
And I've seen a Radical do the One Lap race. Sure, you can drive a Spec Miata to the track, just don't expect to do well.

Through out the Northeast, I've seen the SRF fields race much cleaner than the Miatas.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
And I've seen a Radical do the One Lap race.
Well that's not a SRF now is it?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at BMW Club Racing, too.
And don't waste too much time making a decision.
Your second or third car will be the one that suits you.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Where are you located in CA? Do you care what kind of car you race? Do you care who you race with? What is your budget?

Scott
Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air-cooled 911s have proven themselves to be very reliable cars. But they are also very expensive to rebuild.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Spec Racer Ford is the answer with Spec Miata being a close second.

My fully spec rebuild is 5000 dollars and the R&I time is a few short hours and lasts years in spec power range.
I'm not dealing with class/rule changes every year like SM
I know the problem is the driver.
I know that every part for my car short of a chassis is at most every race I'm at.

I like Porsches and BMWs but I'd rather not race one on a budget.

If you want to make the right decision go rent an SM from one of the good shops where you are and do the same with an SRF. You'll figure out which one you like more.

As for towing? An SRF can be pulled behind pretty much any SUV/minivan ever made and many cars as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Grassroots Racing recently did an article on your Thread Subject exactly. Answer BMW E36.
I can't agree more. (Bias of Course)

Fits nicely into NASA, BMWCCA, SCCA. 1/2 cost of running a 996.. Or more.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

best advice I've seen here is from Circuit; do a few rentals before you dive in.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:14 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

+1 for Circuit and Steve's comments.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Spec Racer Ford
Back in my youth we called them Sport Renaults......first trip to Road America was painful. Almost had to get out and push them up the front straight.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. I already have a tow vehicle and open trailer, so that is not a consideration when going to a race car. I live in Los Angeles and my budget is (race as cheaply as possible and have fun). I can't afford to go the cup car route, but could afford to go a step higher than SM or 944.

I had not considered the tire budget and how a spec tire could lower the operating costs. That is somethiing I really need to think about.

I love P cars and would like to get one of those for several reasons other than just the love of the marque. The obvious one is that there are at least 3 clubs in Southern California to race with. BMW E36 is an outside possibility, but I researched their rules and for whatever reason, they have odd requirements and eventhough they race with NASA, everyone else pays $329-$399 dependant on the track and BMWCCA pays $429-$499 for the same track, same track time, etc. They bring in their own national guys or something and pay 25% more for everything. It doesn't make sense to me.

A Boxster or best yet, an air cooled 911 seems like a cool choice. I've heard of a lot of Boxster engine problems on Autoclub speedway banking however, and I'd never heard that an air cooled 911 was expensive for a rebuild. Why is that??? Parts or expertise in the rebuild??

I read up on the forum discussion on spec tires in the POC website and it does seem that a lot of people want that, but for whatever reason there seems to be resistance from above (at least that's the way it looks like from the outside looking in).

As far as clubs, PCA only has one race per year in SC and one in Central California. It appears PCA is more active in Norcal.

NASA seems to have unbelieveably good racers from top to bottom and extremely competitive in all classes. It would be hard and intimidating to start off with them. POC seems to have good racers and perhaps not as hard core as the NASA guys in terms of pure racing. Maybe more like PCA than NASA???

Speaking of Boxsters, i read here that PCA is changing the rules and the NASA folks and POC are not in accordance with what they are doing which could fracture the abilitiy to run the same car in different clubs. Last I heard POC was not going to adopt an open ECU.

Any thoughts on air cooled 911s? Those that run in SC know that we run a lot of tracks in desert or near desert (Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Fontana in the Summer, Chuckwalla), like temps and wonder if these cars are reliable under hard driving in high temps.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

How could we forget the Factory Five Roadster Spec Series??

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty-file

One for sale:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/18-fact...0-florida.html
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of missinformation above but let me address this big one first. 911 air cooled motors are more expensive to rebuild than W/C M96 motors be it Spec Box's or 996's. That's a fact. They're older technology as they haven't been produced in 14 years, and most of them out West are early 80's motors.

I've never heard of a SB blowing up on the banking at Cal Speedway. It's certainly possible, but I've race pretty much every POC, NASA, and NASA event in So Cal for the past 8 years and I've never seen on blow on the banking. M96 motors do occasionally blow, but no more than the air cooled motors.

As for comparing racing orgs in So Cal, NASA is tough racing and you'd better have your bleep together. POC has some of the best drivers around and their rules require a little more consideration for your fellow racers on track. POC also has the most comprehensive, multi-tiered driver's education program around. When you get a POC race license you've earned it....

POC did reverse itself at the request of their SB drivers and stayed compliant with PCA's SB rule set. That was a good choice....
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Air-cooled 911s have proven themselves to be very reliable cars. But they are also very expensive to rebuild.
Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Lots of missinformation above but let me address this big one first. 911 air cooled motors are more expensive to rebuild than W/C M96 motors be it Spec Box's or 996's. That's a fact.
???

Quick Reply: Best Value/Most Reliable type of race car