Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

Water cooling of brakes was done in some Trans Am racers many years ago. Don't remember exactly, but it was probably in the 1980s or so. I recall seeing some detail of a system, possibly in a magazine article. I recall thinking that the system was relatively basic - it just sprayed water on the front brake rotors. I think it was actuated by a button on the steering wheel.

Scott
Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup, IIRC they are misting the cooling air coming into the ducts, not the brake hardware itself.
I think the Aussies took water injection systems on turbo cars further than anybody else. I do recall sending folding stuff off to Oz to get some kit that actually worked, until my dislike of turbos got the better of me.

R+C
Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup, IIRC they are misting the cooling air coming into the ducts, not the brake hardware itself.
the mist changing states from liquid to gas , is what removes the heat. the hardware being hot does this . the air doesnt get cooled from the water droplets being present. only the evaporation of the water is what does the cooling, and that only happens when it reaches the higher temps surrounding the brake hardware.

great ideas!

If you remember we were using the eRAMS for cooling the brakes on a couple of nascar teams. no water though. same target effect. increasing air mass flow and taking away brake temp

water injection was used in WWII to increase mass flow of the engines with turbos!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They had a race of similar trucks at TWS many, many years ago and I was there and got to watch them. AJ Foyt, who was much younger and lived right down the street showed up, jumped in one and beat them all, while setting a new "truck" track record. They were amazing to watch !
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 868 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
the mist changing states from liquid to gas , is what removes the heat. the hardware being hot does this . the air doesnt get cooled from the water droplets being present. only the evaporation of the water is what does the cooling, and that only happens when it reaches the higher temps surrounding the brake hardware.
Not again....

Mark, look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

Here is a quote:

Direct evaporative cooling (open circuit) is used to lower the temperature of air by using latent heat of evaporation, changing liquid water to water vapor. In this process, the energy in the air does not change. Warm dry air is changed to cool moist air. The heat of the outside air is used to evaporate water.

In the application being discussed, the water is already vapor by the time the air reaches the "hardware".

Scott
Old 04-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more than any other nation the Australian beerologist has refined the art of chucking tinnies in a wet sacking bag, hanging it off the outside of the ute, and driving around in the heat, dust and sun. The hotter it is and the faster the driving, the sooner the magic sack releases cool foaming amber liquid.

Now that's what I call a practical use of science

R+C
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Not again....

Mark, look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

Here is a quote:

Direct evaporative cooling (open circuit) is used to lower the temperature of air by using latent heat of evaporation, changing liquid water to water vapor. In this process, the energy in the air does not change. Warm dry air is changed to cool moist air. The heat of the outside air is used to evaporate water.

In the application being discussed, the water is already vapor by the time the air reaches the "hardware".

Scott
Yup. Just like the rest of us said...
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim,
I would think it is legal for GTS. GTS rules are pretty much you can do anything except for what we say you can't. (IE power/weight limits.)

I believe WRC cars were doing this for tarmac rallies for years. The issue is that it needs to be done right which takes the righ level of water spray to create the right effect. Too much water is bad and too little is bad. It probably does promote corrosion of the components, but I doubt those that use such systems really care as part life is much shoter than what corrosion might do.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

But Joe as you know- "it's a dry heat"

Quick Reply: Water Brakes?