Sponsored by:

Wind noise in car camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:40 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by drdrank
This is awesome...I'm going to order some of these. Thanks!
Then let me offer the benefit of my trial-and-error experience.

You can get the camera itself for $38.99 (delivered) here.

I got the lenses from dealextreme. For the view of the driver, I use a full fish-eye. For the other locations, I use one like this.

And thanks to some technical-minded kid on some RC board I happened onto, I know that
this adhesive this adhesive
does a great job with the plastic the camera cases are made of. I just positioned the camera in a holder (a vise, used gently), verified the view by plugging the thing into a laptop, and dabbed the adhesive around the perimeter of the lens base.

I got a USB-type cigarette-lighter charger and then ran USB cables to each camera.

Downsides to this, compared to GoPro/Hero/whatever: there is no monitor on the camera, only a blinking light to tell you it's recording. So you have to make sure it's pointed the right way with a laptop or by testing it and then downloading the footage. Also, the batteries only last 40 minutes -- but I get around this by hard-wiring power in. Upside: the cameras are cheap as dirt and 720p.

Here are some not-very-useful pictures. But they're all I've got. I later reinforced the license plate mount so it wouldn't vibrate as much. It now has a triangle-shaped support underneath it. The roll hoop mount is a slice of PVC tuping pop-riveted to a piece of metal. For the mount on the base of the rear-view mirror (for forward-facing video), I used a hose clamp to hold a small piece of aluminum that the camera is taped to. It's all pretty much improvised. But the cameras are so light, it's hard to screw up.

I actually have the front camera mounted upside down, which makes the buttons easier to get at. I flip the image with my editing software (Quicktime and iMovie on a Mac).

And thanks, bonehead. I syn the audio by turning all three cameras on before I start the car's engine. The sound of the motor cranking shows up on all three cameras' audio. If I'm just using the two inside-the-car cameras, clapping my hands three times makes syncing even easier, since it's on the video track too.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
And thanks, bonehead. I syn the audio by turning all three cameras on before I start the car's engine. The sound of the motor cranking shows up on all three cameras' audio. If I'm just using the two inside-the-car cameras, clapping my hands three times makes syncing even easier, since it's on the video track too.
Fantastic. Thanks for all the links. And clever method to sync the audio.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is so good. Ultimate ingenuity low-tech high-tech. Thank you
Old 04-08-2012, 06:55 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

I use a piece of foam taped over the front facing mic of my cam corder. Used the foam from my Valentine Radar box. Works perfectly..

Quick Reply: Wind noise in car camera