Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist Darling Vettel: FIA Could Sanction Vettel

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

They could hand Karthikeyan a 20 minute and 20 grid position penalty and it would not change the outcome of China.

Only in F1 does calling someone a gherkin get you called out for improper cocktail decorum. I doubt we'd see this level of criticism in almost any other form of motorsport or even sport, certainly not any ball sport.

Much of the criticism comes from the delicious delight people have seeing those at the top stumble. I like that Vettel is just human, not canned, trained and PR'd to banality, just a passionate racer who has good and bad moments.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,033 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
But Narain was going straight.”

Karthikeyan was handed a 20-second time penalty for the incident by FIA race stewards including three-time Grand Prix winner Johnny Herbert.
Once again, the video evidence does not show Narian going straight. I guess the FIA saw it the same way I did... don't know if that's a good or bad thing thou....
Old 03-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eric523
What do you gain by taking the proper line into the next turn? speed, time, stability, less distance lost to the competitor in front of you... all assuming the backmarker doesn't turn into you of course. A foot is significant at these speeds. Take a foot away from entrance and exit of every turn on a lap and you would lose 10 spots in qualifying. Do you think these pro drivers would really be dropping wheels into the grass and looping the cars under braking going into a corner as often as they do if they weren't concerned about every inch? Have you watched a street race where they put tire marks on the walls? Sure, you could end your race and cause a ton of damage, but it doesn't mean they don't push for the last half an inch every time. Once you no longer do that, you should start looking for another profession.

F1 or not, I would be upset if a backmarker in a club race chopped my line while I was lapping him and chasing another car for position. Doesn't matter what type of car he was driving...

Would I flip him off and call him an idiot? Well, if he turned in and hit me and then blamed it on me, I might consider it. If the race was worth millions, then yes I would. Holding your position and being predictable while being passed is the first thing you learn when getting into racing and open passing situations. Again, there is a race going on and you're not in it.
Besides the point that in a race where there are other cars, slower and faster, you ALWAYS have to compromise your line pretty much in every lap, by moving slightly off of the optimal line to defend your position or to pass someone, which way is irrelevant.
Watch the video again, when Seb was where he was right after he had passed Karun, his optimal line would've been pretty much straight or slightly to the RIGHT side, yet he chose to move slightly to the LEFT before moving to the right, even if he didn't end up with flat tire, what would've he gained?
It seems he would've lost a nanosecond by going towards left, rather than gaining that nanosecond.
And even he would've lost that nanosecond, he should've kept his cool instead bitching. If he had, he'd have more points now.
I'm not defending Karun, he should've given more room but Seb by being a bitch lost points which in the is what matters.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
They could hand Karthikeyan a 20 minute and 20 grid position penalty and it would not change the outcome of China.

Only in F1 does calling someone a gherkin get you called out for improper cocktail decorum. I doubt we'd see this level of criticism in almost any other form of motorsport or even sport, certainly not any ball sport.

Much of the criticism comes from the delicious delight people have seeing those at the top stumble. I like that Vettel is just human, not canned, trained and PR'd to banality, just a passionate racer who has good and bad moments.
These are Euro-tightasses we are talking here. One big reason Montoya hated it there.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Besides the point that in a race where there are other cars, slower and faster, you ALWAYS have to compromise your line pretty much in every lap, by moving slightly off of the optimal line to defend your position or to pass someone, which way is irrelevant.
Watch the video again, when Seb was where he was right after he had passed Karun, his optimal line would've been pretty much straight or slightly to the RIGHT side, yet he chose to move slightly to the LEFT before moving to the right, even if he didn't end up with flat tire, what would've he gained?
It seems he would've lost a nanosecond by going towards left, rather than gaining that nanosecond.
And even he would've lost that nanosecond, he should've kept his cool instead bitching. If he had, he'd have more points now.
I'm not defending Karun, he should've given more room but Seb by being a bitch lost points which in the is what matters.
You got the 2 Indian Dudes mixed up. Karun is no longer in F1. This was Narain K .
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Karthikeyan was handed a 20-second time penalty for the incident by FIA race stewards including three-time Grand Prix winner Johnny Herbert.
This says it all. NK was at fault no matter what the all know VP says.

The guy was being lapped for crying out loud. Get The F Out Of The Way.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
...You got the 2 Indian Dudes mixed up. Karun is no longer in F1. This was Narain K .
Oh man! There's no Italians in F1 and at the same time there are toothy Indians!!!
Karun, Narain, WTF
Old 04-01-2012, 02:07 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
This says it all. NK was at fault no matter what the all know VP says.

The guy was being lapped for crying out loud. Get The F Out Of The Way.
+100!!!

Quick Reply: Rennlist Darling Vettel: FIA Could Sanction Vettel