Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone (harry's lap timer), any other new ones?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM
ET1KTRD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just starting going to the track regulary. Can use HLT and just put this in my pocket or center console in order to track lap times? I have no interest in video or speed documentation yet. Or does it need to be mounted somewhere in the car to work properly?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:57 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ET1KTRD
Just starting going to the track regulary. Can use HLT and just put this in my pocket or center console in order to track lap times? I have no interest in video or speed documentation yet. Or does it need to be mounted somewhere in the car to work properly?
It will work as long as it has a GPS signal. I have had it work in my pocket, but a windshield suction cup mount works best and is cheap. You can see your times that way while you are driving.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,769 Posts

To make it work with any reliability, you should have a GPS amplifier mount and it needs to be on the windshield.

Make sure it has as much of the horizon view as possible, and a clear view vertically (through the glass).
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 PM
ET1KTRD
Rennlist Member

Great, thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions as to where i should pick up the windshield mount? I have an Iphone. Also, do they allow use of lap timers at PCA DE events?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 PM
hollmatt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought the IOttie iPhone mount from amazon. Works great for Harry's. I also use a Bluetooth BT1 ODB connector so I get great data now on throttle, rpm etc. very happy with it
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ET1KTRD
Great, thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions as to where i should pick up the windshield mount? I have an Iphone. Also, do they allow use of lap timers at PCA DE events?
For insurance purposes they are not supposed to be allowed in DEs, as these are instructional not timed events. I believe we have that stated in our DE packet. That said, it is tough to enforce unless you are willing to check all cars at pit out each session.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 904 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
For insurance purposes they are not supposed to be allowed in DEs, as these are instructional not timed events. I believe we have that stated in our DE packet. That said, it is tough to enforce unless you are willing to check all cars at pit out each session.
That is not true on a national level. The rules state that there can be no official timing. Timing by an individual is allowed. The region can have different rules if they want, but it's not an insurance issue, it's a region issue.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

PCA says no video by a student if an Instructor is in the car.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 904 Likes on 553 Posts

The best advice I can offer you guys is to log into www.pca.org and then read the DE guidelines and Region Procedures Manual (RPM). There are a lot of things that people misunderstand or attribute to PCA National that are not true.

Quick Reply: iPhone (harry's lap timer), any other new ones?