Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-car camera - Mic recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts
Default In-car camera - Mic recommendations?

Alright picked up a GoPro Hero HD2 - new one with the mic port. I also have a Gen1 HeroHD.

My car, being primarily a street car (944 Turbo), is really quiet inside - quiet enough that I don't get ANY motor noise with the GoPro mounted to my rollbar. Hoping by adding an external mic somewhere in the car, it'll help bring in more motor noise. I'm figuring either I'll stick it down in the driver's side rear fender well (so it's still in the car, but below the rear deck mat, next to the muffler) or up against the firewall or something.

Anybody got any recommendations for a microphone?

(Last time I tried a mic on a camera, it was years ago, I used my little mic I had for my camera - and it seemed I exceeded the max volume it could handle because all it recorded was distortion. So I don't want to waste buying an unknown mic if I don't have to...)
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I have three inexpensive cameras mounted on my car. I was surprised that the one that got the best sound was the one attached to the rear license plate. I assumed it would only be wind noise back there, but it's pretty good.

Here's a clip recorded from inside the car. Sound is just so-so.

Here's a clip from the rear-view camera. It's surprisingly hard-rocking.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Jack - awesome videos (And car - I think I had a shot of your car as my desktop background for a while... someday, I will build a similar car... someday)

Ok back on topic - so I'd be happy even getting the volume you get in the first video you posted, from the interior. I agree your license plate mount brings in the best sound (sounds like a 60s Speed Racer cartoon) - but that's actually just the camera audio, right? Or are you running a separate mic?

It seems that when I have my GoPro mounted inside the car, I get 45% wind noise, 45% tire noise, and 10% engine noise. Funny thing is that the tires seem a LOT louder on the camera than they do in real life. Watching the video it seems like my car is under steering everywhere (I *am* on full street tires, but the sound still seems amplified.) The Mic in the camera must pick up higher frequencies easier.

Fast forward a little bit to get past the intro and you'll see what I mean. All the audio is off the interior camera (exterior was 100% wind noise.)

Last edited by User 52121; 03-26-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks.

Yeah, I don't have a good suggestion for the actual mic -- just the location. When I did use bullet cameras with a separate mic, I had a cheap Radio Shack model, and I don't think it was very good.

That GoPro produces great video!

My footage is all made with the internal microphones on my $38 keychain-fob cameras.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Jack
I like your narration in the video; makes me feel like I'm listening in.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:17 PM
carcamera
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

driving my car and listen music, The Poetry of Nature, i enjoy it
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

OMNI - which GoPro case are you using? Are you using the skeleton case? If not try using that.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 PM
JGB
Instructor

Default from the 993 forum

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...orts-park.html

Jim
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I went with an Olympus stereo mic that someone else here on RL suggested. It's super small and works well - I duct taped it up under the rear bumper, just above the muffler.

I think it sounds okay.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

What's with the big lift in at the apex of turn 1?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice sound indeed - how/where did you mount the foot-cam? Suction onto bottom of seat and then cropped image?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
What's with the big lift in at the apex of turn 1?
Rumble strips. My car does not like the rumbles. Especially by the end of the weekend (which is when this lap was run) when my tires were near the end of their life. (Not corded but definitely no real "tread" left either.) Was trying to incorporate some of the advice I received from David Murry about using more of the curbs and wasn't quite yet confident in it. Rolling through T1 at WOT when staying OFF the apex curb usually resulted in a gentle drift to the outside edge (which I am 100% ok with) - BUT - past experience when hitting the inside curbs T7 and outside curbs in T5 (as well as curbs at other tracks) has resulted in, on occasion, upsetting the car. (Never anything bad enough to result in even an off-track excursion but enough to let me know the car wasn't happy... so experimenting with curbs in T1 had me a little nervous.) It's of course possible that it's a mental thing (and the upset car was caused by some other mistake of mine) but it's still there in my head

Originally Posted by HiWind
Nice sound indeed - how/where did you mount the foot-cam? Suction onto bottom of seat and then cropped image?
Used one of the sticky-tape mounts that came with the GoPro and mounted it upside-down to the bottom of the dash. Flipped and cropped the video later in software.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

cool - thanks!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:53 AM
rapvon
6th Gear

Most of in-car cameras that available on the markets today supports record video & audio at the same time, but mostly the sound-effect is just so so, however if you are luckily enough to find one with a high-sensitive micro built-in, it can detect the noise around and automatically increase the volume, then you can get a very clear voice.
Perhaps this link may offer some information: http://www.szswill.com

Last edited by rapvon; 03-25-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a gopro hero 2 with an external mic. I bought a cheap 3.5mm mic with a three foot cable. Drilled a hole in the case and then run the mic as close the exhaust as possible and away from heavy pockets of airflow. Two examples are below

First with the mic mounted on the back of the headrest behind the drivers head https://vimeo.com/m/72620981

The second mounted just above the gearbox. You can hear the exhaust as well as the gearbox whine
https://vimeo.com/m/71709622

Quick Reply: In-car camera - Mic recommendations?