2012 Malaysia Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Italians call for Massa's head

Felipe Massa has been subjected to further calls for his removal from the Ferrari line-up following a lacklustre Australian GP display.

Felipe Massa's disappointing performance in the Australian Grand Prix has led to some sections of the Italian motoring media to call for him immediate removal from the Ferrari line-up.

The Brazilian endured a tough weekend in Melbourne, qualifying down in 16th place and then being forced to retire from the race late on, following a clash with countryman Bruno Senna while running outside the points. While team-mate Fernando Alonso transformed twelfth on the grid into fifth place at the chequered flag, Massa's malaise echoed Ferrari's pre-season preparations, with the F2012 looking distinctly uncompetitive.

In order to determine whether it was man or machine at fault, the Scuderia has already confirmed that it is preparing a fresh chassis [see story here] for Massa to use at Sepang in this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix - 'a choice was taken to clear up any doubts about the unusual performance of his car during the weekend at Albert Park' - but that will do little to quell suggestions that there are better alternatives to the Brazilian currently on the F1 sidelines.

Citing a Twitter message from Alonso which suggested he was viewing round one as ' a glass half full', Italian motorsport magazine Autosprint has claimed that the Spaniard provided a neat juxtaposition to describe his team-mate's outlook, namely a glass that may have run dry.

"[Alonso] scraped together ten world championship [points] when he was afraid to pick just one or two," the magazine's editorial claimed, "But, to be malicious, that glass half full can have another interpretation: it means that... the other half of the glass, that is symbolised by his team-mate, is completely empty.

"The Brazilian is already a case: disastrous and embarrassing in the race. Last year, he had the excuse of not being able to get heat into the tyres, this year the opposite happens, [and] he destroys them in a few laps. Felipe is useless to the team and does not carry championship points. Massa is now the shadow of the beautiful pale rider of the past, [when he was] aggressive and [capable of a] quick lap.

"Sorry to say, but it is useless to deny the obvious: that the driver does not exist anymore since August 2009. Something clicked inside him [following his life-threatening Hungaroring qualifying accident] and he turned off the light of talent. Ferrari has already granted him many opportunities, but Maranello must now decide quickly whether to waste yet another season or try to fight for the constructors' championship. To do this you need a fast driver alongside Alonso [and] Ferrari must have the courage to cut the umbilical cord with Massa now, not after this season but now or within a few weeks."

Although several drivers were connected to Massa's seat over the winter, the Brazilian was granted the final year of his contract alongside Alonso, but those same names - and more - are again being put forward as better alternatives for the Prancing Horse.

"Ferrari claims that there are no real alternatives to Massa," the Autosprint article continued, "Well, I think [there are] and suggest two practical and feasible [options] from the start. No testers or kids to wean, but two fast drivers. One is Sergio Perez, who [started] in last place in Melbourne and finished ahead of Massa in eighth place. The other is Jarno Trulli, who is still very fast, experienced and in good shape. It would be a crime not to take him into consideration. Respected by Alonso, he is the ideal man who could share the burden of developing the F2012."
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It seems to be the conventional wisdom that Hamilton would have beaten Button if he had gotten off the line first. If tire management continues to be of paramount importance, then it really negates Hamilton's aggressiveness. And at the end of the Austrailian race, Button was just toying with everyone. He pulled out a 3 second lead in 2 laps after the re-start and then just stayed there, despite Vettel's best efforts. If Hamilton had been in the lead, it seems likely that Button could have passed him, but of course that is IMHO.
Being faster is one thing, being able to pass is another. Especially with team orders. The car in front has first right of tire changes and team strategy revolves around it. I really like Button, he's become an even better driver since joining McLaren. But it would've been hard to pass Hamilton during the race had he not had the jump at the start. And I think people make a bigger deal of Hamilton's tire management skills than there needs to be. Just IMHO of course
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

I am a Lewis fan, but he is harder on tires in a meaningful way. He is often pretty slow for a lap or more before his tire change and you can hear it in his voice when he calls into the engineer 5 laps in to a new set of tires complaining that they are going off. He is a massive talent but he has not adapted to Pirelli rubber well - I'm not honestly sure why the characteristics of a tire should really favor one talented F1 driver over another though.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going with Button because I admire his professionalism and attitude, as I do Vettel's.
Not that it counts for anything....
Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James Achard
Yes, Hammy has a hard time with tire management for sure and still seems to have a hard time getting his head around how to do it. My suspicion is it's how he sets his car up as well which plays in to the tire wear problem.

It was Hamilton's race to lose in OZ and he dropped the ball on the start...
Clutch problem hampered Hamilton’s Melbourne start

21 March 2012

It has been revealed that Lewis Hamilton suffered a clutch problem at the start of the Australian Grand Prix – a crucial factor which allowed race-winning team-mate Jenson Button to seize the lead on the run to the first corner.

Hamilton had notched up his 20th Formula 1 pole position but, despite Button selecting second gear too soon when the red lights when out, the 2009 World Champion was still able to overhaul his title predecessor. Hamilton then lost a further position when Sebastian Vettel took advantage of the Safety Car.

“Yeah, after the race in Australia it was difficult to understand exactly what happened,” Hamilton, whose dejection was clearly demonstrated on the Melbourne podium, explained in Malaysia on Wednesday.

“I was generally happy with the car all weekend, but just lacked a bit of pace compared to Jenson in the race. Afterwards, I sat down with my engineers and we went through all the data. There was a small issue with the clutch at the start; it wasn’t my fault, but we now understand and know how to improve in the future.

“My race pace was pretty much identical to Jenson’s, but he was able to switch the tyres on extremely well, which explains how he was able to pull a gap so quickly at the start and also after the restart. It’s encouraging and reassuring to understand the reasons for our race pace in Australia and it puts me in a really positive frame of mind for the race in Malaysia.”

McLaren is yet to enjoy a pole position in Malaysia and Hamilton is also aiming for an improved race result at Sepang; after finishing second in a team one-two in 2007, he has failed to come home higher than fifth in the past four races.

I still think Button would have ran him down and passed him on track or in the pit rotation. Button was in control the entire time and turned it on and off when he wanted to.

I disagree with ILKO, however. Tire management is going to be huge this year especially as the Pirelli tires won't last as long. Button's style suited the low grip surface in Austrailia and the heat of Malaysia. I still contend Hamilton is faster in a one lap situation, but Button better over a race distance.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I voted Vettel. He is going to be hungry.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
I am a Lewis fan, but he is harder on tires in a meaningful way. He is often pretty slow for a lap or more before his tire change and you can hear it in his voice when he calls into the engineer 5 laps in to a new set of tires complaining that they are going off. He is a massive talent but he has not adapted to Pirelli rubber well - I'm not honestly sure why the characteristics of a tire should really favor one talented F1 driver over another though.
At this level, a driver should be able to change his style. Perhaps not in the same year, but this is year two of the Pirelli tires on grid and Hamilton has not changed one bit.

When Alonso was with Renault, he had a harsh turn in style of driving. He had to change that approach when he moved to McLaren. Further, when the switch was made from Bridgestone tires to Pirelli, Vettel spent his entire off season with Pirelli engineers and attended tests to come to grips (pun intended) with the rubber. Hamilton does not show that kind of dedication to his career. He's perfectly fine to be on the cover of People magazine with his pop star girlfriend as he is to be on the cover of a motorsport cover.

There will be big fireworks from Hamilton's side of the garage if Button pulls out a substantial lead in the points. Remember, Hamilton is at the end of his contract and McLaren have not yet approached him to renew.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I voted with my heart for Alonso, and although he certainly is capable, my logic suggests that Hamilton will win. Hammy is very competitive and eventhough the two Brits are lovy dovy, Hamilton is not going to let Button beat him two in a row. The two Mercedes looked reallly good and the Lotus / Renaults are also in the running. It is a tought one but I think it will be Hammy with Button, Vettel and Alonso fighting for the other two places on the podium
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I am still thinking this is the kind of track for the McLaren and I went with Lewis. While I dont really like his antics I am thinking he needs to bust a gut and win one.

But I might as well keep saying it - I want to see Micheal get up there. For a win would be great, but at least a podium.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Vettel. He looked strong in week 1 despite an average, for them, qualifying session. To come back to 2nd shows he is still the guy to beat.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lotus and Red Bull Racing's complaints that the DRS-activated F-duct on the Mercedes rear wing is illegal have been rejected by the FIA, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The two outfits wanted clarification on the matter ahead of this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix, with both teams reckoning the duct that helps stall the Mercedes wings for a straight-line speed boost is a breach of the rules that prevents driver activated aerodynamic devices.

Discussions between the FIA and all the teams involved have taken place throughout Thursday in the Sepang paddock, but the governing body has not changed its stance on the matter.

The FIA informed the outfits that it remains convinced that the concept is legal because it is passive, and there is nothing in the rules that outlaws a device that is activated by movement of the DRS.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting, who is head of the F1 technical department, said in Australia last weekend: "It is completely passive. There are no moving parts in it; it doesn't interact with any suspension. No steering, nothing. Therefore I cannot see a rule that prohibits it."

The news means that Red Bull Racing and Lotus - the two teams most unhappy about the design – must now choose to either challenge the matter with an official protest in Malaysia this weekend, or go ahead and develop a similar system themselves.

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug confirmed that his team's car would be unchanged from how it was in the Australian Grand Prix.

"This car passed scrutineering and got the green light," he said in Malaysia.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Weather forecast bump for Frank (edit Lewis beat me to it)

Rain Race???

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Weather
Updated: Mar 23, 2012, 12am
UPDATE DATA

Friday March 23

- A few clouds from time to time. High near 90F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
- Evening Partly cloudy skies early. Scattered thunderstorms developing later at night. Low near 75F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.

Saturday March 24

- Day
Mixed clouds and sun with scattered thunderstorms. High 91F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
- Night
Scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the mid 70

Sunday March 25

- Scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
But I might as well keep saying it - I want to see Micheal get up there. For a win would be great, but at least a podium.
I hope to never see Schublocker on the podium again. Sorry, but he's a bore and I revel in his misfortunes.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see shu on the top spot - seems now is as good a time as any. All cards seem to be in his favor this weekend. Cant wait to see the outcome of the race. Interesting news above.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I hope to never see Schublocker on the podium again. Sorry, but he's a bore and I revel in his misfortunes.

How so gums?

No matter how you figure it, MS has to be in the top of F1 drivers of all time, and for all time, now and in the future.

I know they say "He had the best car " and all of that at Ferrari, but many times he made it happen for Ferarri from the drivers seat. And he may be the best development driver of all too.

I am a Senna fan first and last , but Micheals accomplishments, statisitcs, and body of work is unlikley to be seen again. Even Senna was not likely to put up MS's numbers. And me being old school, and MS being a bit old school and out there racing, giving it his all , earns respect. He knows he could end up like Senna.

If I was there I am sure I would be saying " Just one more win. I want to feel that one more time."

He still knows how to win and likely could put a couple together and then ride off in to F1 history.

Quick Reply: 2012 Malaysia Grand Prix