Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YOU WOULD THINK,,,,

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Kent does top of the line work, there is no doubt. As far as subies being race capable they are consistent top finishers/winners in one of the toughest, WRC...

It's way too common to see these motors pushed to the limit because they can make affordable power with boost, but built right will put out gobs of power...a Porsche putting out the same hp/liter will be high strung and big $$$ by comparison.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J richard

It's way too common to see these motors pushed to the limit because they can make affordable power with boost, but built right will put out gobs of power...a Porsche putting out the same hp/liter will be high strung and big $$$ by comparison.
This is absolutely true. The engine in that green car is completely stock. The only modifications are a larger turbo, and larger fuel injectors. At 16.5psi of boost (that's only 2 psi higher than a stock WRX) the engine made 390 wheel horsepower. It's been two events now (Chuckwalla and CalSpeed) and so far, leakdown numbers are still well below 8% on all four cylinders. This may be the limit of what I would consider "reliable" on the stock pistons, but throw in some forged pistons and that number could easily be increased by another 40hp reliably. The best part is, at 390hp, a new shortblock from the dealership is only $1800 retail.

Just remember, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if the M96 engine wasn't so problematic...
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcpaz
Just remember, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if the M96 engine wasn't so problematic...
EGG-ZAKLEE
Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

This is absolutely true. The engine in that green car is completely stock. The only modifications are a larger turbo, and larger fuel injectors. At 16.5psi of boost (that's only 2 psi higher than a stock WRX) the engine made 390 wheel horsepower. It's been two events now (Chuckwalla and CalSpeed) and so far, leakdown numbers are still well below 8% on all four cylinders. This may be the limit of what I would consider "reliable" on the stock pistons, but throw in some forged pistons and that number could easily be increased by another 40hp reliably. The best part is, at 390hp, a new shortblock from the dealership is only $1800 retail.

What kind of laptimes at those tracks? I know all of the variables involved, I'm just curious since I've run both in a few different cars...

Do you have a kit to do the engine swap or was it a one-off?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:10 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cory M
What kind of laptimes at those tracks? I know all of the variables involved, I'm just curious since I've run both in a few different cars...

Do you have a kit to do the engine swap or was it a one-off?
I'm not sure my lap times will tell you much. I still have a lot to learn as you can see in the videos on the OP's link and I had never been on either tracks before. What the car is capable of and what I managed are two different things. The best I could muster at CalSpeed was 1:52 but with an experienced driver that should have been a 1:48 even on the Nitto's.

This was never intended to be a one-off. The whole reason for that car's existence was to test the kit. The "basic kit" is available now (adapter plate, aluminum flywheel, starter, engine cradle and hardware) and the other components to make up a street version of the kit (no roof scoop obviously) are in the works.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:39 AM
spare tire
Racer

390 wheel horsepower is huge for a four cylinder. The reliability issue has to do with the 500 and up wheel horsepower cars for drag racing and dyno queens. Mine is only tuned to 325 at the wheels because I want it to last forever.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the transition to boost? My cousins WRX hits pretty hard.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:29 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eifeler
How's the transition to boost? My cousins WRX hits pretty hard.
With the turbo that's on it (GT3076R) it does "hit" pretty hard when it spools. You definitely have to drive it a bit differently than you would something with a more linear torque curve but at a certain point, that's just the nature of turbo cars. Fortunately, the long gearing in the stock G86/20 works well with the power of the turbo four.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

That is damned impressive.

Quick Reply: YOU WOULD THINK,,,,