Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Racing" synthetic oil v.s. "regular" synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The info in this thread has been great. Many thanks to 67King for the detailed write ups.

Based on this, I bought Motul 300V, and planned to change it after 500 miles. Then it was posted that it is good for 3000 track miles, more than enough for my DE season, unless there's a time element. My season is from late April thought mid October, and will involve no more than 2000 miles. Is the Motul 300V good for 6 months after first use? Car is trailered to track.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I'm not debating your points at all, in fact I was facetiously agreeing with you.
Gotcha - no worries
I'm here to learn too!!

Originally Posted by 67King
SN is the equivalent of GF-5. The interesting thing is that if you pull up the data sheet on the Valvoline, it claims SN ratings, at least for some viscosities (and claims it is good when an SN rating is required) yet elevated Zinc levels. The two are mutually exclusive:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/api_mo...ifications.htm
So does Mobile 1

So that leaves us with three conclusions:

1. Valvoline and Mobile 1 are lying on their data sheets.
2. The API ratings are meaningless
3. The people that put that page together on aa1car.com are misinformed.

I'm leaing towards #3 as the most likely scenario. Especially since I've seen multiple oil analysis from the VR1 and Mobil 1 that support the rated ZDDP levels.

Are all GF-5 oils SN? As far as I've been able to find, yes.

Are all SN oils GT-5? No

I'm just as confused as you are by all of this. I honestly think it has something to do with viscosity. GF-5 only covers the thinner oils while SN doesn’t have that limitation. Every SN oil without a GF-5 stamp is a higher viscosity oil.

Originally Posted by chrisc
Harry, you are far smarter than me re this stuff, why don't you call the "ask Mobil" number to clarify. The M1 dude told me the silver top (not extened use gold top) 15-50 M1 contained 12/12 Z/P ppms. The other figures came from the Valvoline and Amsoil data sheets posted on their websites.
Or this spreadsheet from Mobil1.com I'm now posting for the third time in this thread

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Mot...duct_Guide.pdf
Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Gotcha - no worries
I'm here to learn too!!

So does Mobile 1

So that leaves us with three conclusions:

1. Valvoline and Mobile 1 are lying on their data sheets.
2. The API ratings are meaningless
3. The people that put that page together on aa1car.com are misinformed.

I'm leaing towards #3 as the most likely scenario. Especially since I've seen multiple oil analysis from the VR1 and Mobil 1 that support the rated ZDDP levels.

Are all GF-5 oils SN? As far as I've been able to find, yes.

Are all SN oils GT-5? No

I'm just as confused as you are by all of this. I honestly think it has something to do with viscosity. GF-5 only covers the thinner oils while SN doesn’t have that limitation. Every SN oil without a GF-5 stamp is a higher viscosity oil.

Or this spreadsheet from Mobil1.com I'm now posting for the third time in this thread

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Mot...duct_Guide.pdf
Here we go. I dug through and found out. The ASTM D4951 provies for a maximum allowable amount of phosphorous not to exceed 800ppm. But it only applies to 10W30 and thinner oils. However, it applies to ALL "energy conservation" oils. http://www.api.org/certifications/en...l1complete.pdf Note phosphorous comes from ZDDP and in the case of ester, some of the base chemicals used to form the oil (I think acids).
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Perfect!! Who says nothing ever gets solved in this forum?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Perfect!! Who says nothing ever gets solved in this forum?
Agreed! Now that is solved - Gasoline, is Sunoco better than Chevron or is Quicktrip ok or should I use Shell, or Texaco, but my friend who drives a gas hauler told me Kroger is really Chevron.......
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm...

Thanks for the info. I understand your PoV concerning marketing vs. engineers, been there many times myself. In my specific case concerning my car/engine, they were quite specific that factory fill was more than adequate although they did of course add the caveat that changes were preferable after sustained hard efforts at the track.

How about some general data concerning Group III vs Group IV or V breakdown vs. temperature exposure? Perhaps a graph illustrating your point to show under what circumstances a Group IV or V based oil is superior?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking for a viscosity vs. temperature chart and found this site. Looks like good info with references:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/puttin...nto-viscosity/
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Hmm...

Thanks for the info. I understand your PoV concerning marketing vs. engineers, been there many times myself. In my specific case concerning my car/engine, they were quite specific that factory fill was more than adequate although they did of course add the caveat that changes were preferable after sustained hard efforts at the track.

How about some general data concerning Group III vs Group IV or V breakdown vs. temperature exposure? Perhaps a graph illustrating your point to show under what circumstances a Group IV or V based oil is superior?
Let me see what I can dig up. Been pretty busy the past couple of days, sorry if I can't get it right away.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Surprised but just got a call from Mobil regarding a question I posted on their site. It was suggested I consider using Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 in my 924S (944) motor for racing applications. The zinc content is 1900 PPM's and the Phosphorus is 1750 PPM's. The caller said the 0 package is tested at 35 below F vs the 15 package that is tested at 25 below F, which they say will have no effect in the temps where I operate the car. They also responded to my question re usiing the V-twin stuff and they said again they would use the Racing 0W - 50 oil. Interesting.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they say what made the racing oil better then the V-Twin stuff?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Did they say what made the racing oil better then the V-Twin stuff?
They sent me this catalog -
http://www.mobil1racing.com/pdf/2012_Catalog_V2.pdf
Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Chris, that was interesting.

The 20/50 V-twin description does include this statement:

This higher viscosity grade oil is also suitable for older
racing engines and engines running at higher temperatures
It looks like the main difference is the lack of friction modifiers in the motocycle oils - might give up some HP to the racing oils.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
The 20/50 V-twin description does include this statement:

It looks like the main difference is the lack of friction modifiers in the motocycle oils - might give up some HP to the racing oils.
Think it also mentions the V-Twin oil is good for air cooled Porsches

Quick Reply: "Racing" synthetic oil v.s. "regular" synthetic